The Wonder Years

Remove this Banner Ad

Richmondfan#1

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 6, 2000
AFL Club
Richmond
I love this show.

I have just finished watching the last series on TV1 on Foxtel and the last episode was very sweet, and managed to grab some tears out of you at the very end.

The concept of the show wasn't all that original (the life of an adolescant) however it has it's own originality to it. The voiceover of Kevin's mind is great. I find it to be predictable sometimes, with what will happen next because of it, but the concept is very good.

I remember watching it when I was much younger, with my then teenage brothers. I have since picked up lost episodes from Fox and sometimes channel 7, however I think there is still a series I haven't seen (not sure though). I'm so glad I managed to view the final episode - The Wonder Years is something special.

Does anyone else love this show? Despise it? Have an opinion on it?

Yep I loved the show when I was growing up. Last episode was very moving. Always thought Kevin would end up with Winnie - but wasn't to be.

Originally posted by Big Fella
Yep I loved the show when I was growing up. Last episode was very moving. Always thought Kevin would end up with Winnie - but wasn't to be.

Absolutely love the show.... one of the best shows ever. It's funny how often you can/could relate to issues brought up in the show.

-------------
Growing up happens in a heartbeat.
One day you're in diapers, the next day you're gone.
But the memories of childhood stay with you for the long haul.
I remember a place ... a town ... a house
like a lot of houses ...
A yard like a lot of other yards ...
On a street like a lot of other streets.
And the thing is ... After all these years,
I still look back ... with wonder.

Once upon a time there was a girl I knew, who lived across the street. Brown hair, brown eyes. When she smiled, I smiled. When she cried, I cried. Every single thing that ever happened to me that mattered, in some way had to do with her. That day Winnie and I promised each other that no matter what, that we'd always be together. It was a promise full of passion and truth and wisdom. It was the kind of promise that can only come from the hearts of the very young.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by JUBJUB
No he isn't.I remember reading that rumour a few years ago.Paul Pfieffer reminds me of Milhouse from The Simpsons.

haha, he does seem like Milhouse a bit doesnt he??

Been hearing that rumour about him for ages just never got around to checking if its true or not.... i can watch the next show of Wonder Years now without calling Kevins mate a 'Freak' everytime he gets onscreen :D

Adored the show when i was younger, but sadly i failed to ever see the last few seasons.

Shame i didn't know it was on TV1.

i used to LOVE it!!! other than having watching when i was younger, i saw one epesode about a yr ago, but havent seen another since... its on sat mornings on normal tv now... while im at work :(

but its a fantastic show!

Originally posted by Kenny_01

-------------
Growing up happens in a heartbeat.
One day you're in diapers, the next day you're gone.
But the memories of childhood stay with you for the long haul.
I remember a place ... a town ... a house
like a lot of houses ...
A yard like a lot of other yards ...
On a street like a lot of other streets.
And the thing is ... After all these years,
I still look back ... with wonder.

I love that. That was once my signature!

The Wonder Years is so beautiful. It would often have me cacking it, but crying aswell! Mainly because it brings back memories of the fantastic primary school days.

And yes, Fred Savage is/was a cutie!

We should all praise the Wonder Years. Praise, praise, praise.

Originally posted by passionate81
Yep love the show but unfortunately i havnt seen the end. Can anybody here please tell me as to what happens?

This is what Kevin says near the end of the last episode:

Paul went to Harvard and studied Law - still allergic to everything;
Kevin's Dad passes away 2 years later;
His Mom becomes a business woman - board chairmen - cooker of mashed potatoes;
Karen's baby looks just like Kevin, poor kid;
Wayne takes over the furniture business after his father's death;
Winnie goes to France to study art history, and she and Kevin keep their promise to keep in touch - they write to one another every week for 8 years. Then when she finally comes back, he meets her at the airport with his wife and first son, 8 months old.

There was one story about Kevin cheating or sthing on a maths test and then trying to redeem himself by resitting the test. He is so proud of what he does, but it is in vain because the teacher dies? Now that wasn't a predictable one.

His relationship with his Dad was good. How many Dad's of that generation were so like Kev's Dad? I remember them driving around getting lost and Kev's Dad 'knew it all.'

I also remember the science teacher who would drone on through his slide and movie shows.

The last show tied it all up nicely and wasn't predictable. I too thought he would end up with Winnie. (A pity Seinfeld couldn't have had a better finale, it's almost as bad as the first Seinfeld episode.)

A great show indeed!

Gaso

And at the very end, just as the credits start to roll (of the final episode) you here a young boy say "Dad, wanna come play catch?" and you hear an older Kevin say "I'll be right there".

Gasometer, that episode was fantastic, the one where he cheated on the test and his teacher died. Very good indeed.

Kevin puts he exam paper on the replacement maths teacher's desk:

"You don't have to mark it, it's a 'A'."

Turns at the door:

"Thanks Mr Collins."

Could have been mushy, I'm talking Speilberg mushy, but always seemed to avoid it.

Yes, I am a fan.

My second favourite TV show ever, after The Simpsons.

I was old enough to look back on it with a different perspective to someone who was the same age as the main characters.

For those of you interested, http://web.sfc.keio.ac.jp/~t93272at/wonder.html is a great site dedicated to the show.

The 'Interesting Facts' page is really insightful. Although some things kinda ruin the glow of it because you know some things couldn't have been exact ... if you get me.

One of the facts was that Fred Savage's favourite episode was actually Episode#43 ... the Mr Collins one.

And this is interesting:
When Chuck Coleman(ANDY) appeared in his first episode(the soccer one), they were filming outside and there were bugs everywhere. He started squinting and twitching to keep them out of his face. The director saw this and told him to keep doing it in future episodes because he thought it would add to his character. Thus begun Chuck's trademark twitches.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back