Movie The Wrestler ***SPOILERS***

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: The Wrestler

thought it was great, the final scene was a great way to finish the film.

spoilers--->>> when randy is starting to feel his heart go in the final match and he decides to do the ramjam off the top rope, you can't help thinking that he knows it will kill him but he wants to go out this it's almost like he is committing suicide.

To say Ram is based on wrestler X and wrestler Y does a great disservice to how ****ed up many wrestlers, and the business itself, really are.

Fantastic movie, though. Raises some very good points. I've found that it seems to be getting better reviews from non wrestling fans. I think that many wrestling fans are upset they're portrayed as blood thirsty heartless pricks (which generally we are) and don't like being confronted with the issues the film raises.

Just watched this.

Awesome film, Rourke is outstanding, a great story that stays within the realms of reality and doesn't just paint a fairytale for it's characters.

Quality stuff.

Just finished watching it then.

Great moving film.

Rourke was perfect as Ram (surely Oscar worthy).

Evan Rachel Wood and Marissa Tomei were brilliant as the supporting cast.

Just brilliant. Loved it's pace and the ending was superb. Hope Rourke gets the Oscar.

Loved some of the references to real old matches/wrestlers too, being a fan in my younger days.

When is it coming to Reading Cinema Waurn Ponds (Geelong)? I really want to see it with a couple of mates and its supposed to be coming out tommorow (Jan 15th), yet I checked the site and it didn't say anything re; session times, only that it was "coming soon"....annoying

or is it in limited release?

Brilliant movie.

Loved the connection between Marissa Tomei and Mickey Rourke. After all the reviews I expected a brilliant performance from Mickey, but Marissa was great also.

What was fascinating about the story if that told from a slightly different perspective the movie could have been called The Stripper. Beneath the surface, long term stripping and wrestling effects people in similar ways. The way this parallel was brought together in the final scene was brilliant.

Another highlight for me was hearing Howard "The Fink" Finkell ring announcing again. Bloke is a living legend of the business. Will never forget the way he announced Ricky Steamboat as new Intercontinental Champion at WMIII in front of 93,000 people going nuts at the Pontiac Silverdome. Got this match on tape and it still sends chills down my spine... the cameras were virtually shaking the crowd was so loud.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

According to the Village site, they're only showing this film on a few selected screens.

They're putting dross like 'Bride Wars' on 26 screens across Melbourne (including a stack of Gold Class sessions), yet an Oscar contending film like 'The Wrestler' is only given four screens. :rolleyes:

According to the Village site, they're only showing this film on a few selected screens.

They're putting dross like 'Bride Wars' on 26 screens across Melbourne (including a stack of Gold Class sessions), yet an Oscar contending film like 'The Wrestler' is only given four screens. :rolleyes:

I know, It's Bull****! and apparently the Readings Cinema in Waurn Ponds (Geelong Region) isn't even screening it! :mad::thumbsdown:

I just don't understand the thinking behind it, can anyone shed some light on the situation?

Has it got anything to do with the rating; ie. have Village/Readings got something against showing an MA+15 film, instead opting for a more "school holiday friendly" schedule?

Northland which is hoyts has it showing, there are 9 cinemas that will screen it anyway.

Not good enough but better then nothing

I know, It's Bull****! and apparently the Readings Cinema in Waurn Ponds (Geelong Region) isn't even screening it! :mad::thumbsdown:

I just don't understand the thinking behind it, can anyone shed some light on the situation?

Has it got anything to do with the rating; ie. have Village/Readings got something against showing an MA+15 film, instead opting for a more "school holiday friendly" schedule?
that would partly explain it, but like slumdpg millionaire its very much not a mainstream film.

You either have to be a film buff, wrestling buff or Mickey rourke fan to go see it the cinemas feel. Its crap but they probably can make more money from teh new rubbish sandler movie then they could on this

'Role Models' (which i also want to see) is also rated MA15+, yet is being shown in 15 cinemas across the state, so the rating can't be the reason for the very limited release.

No its because the majority of people are morons and would prefer to see rubbish like Bride Wars then a brilliant flick such as The Wrestler.
Its strange though I have seen plenty of bill boards for this movie

Saw it today and thought it was amazing.

Mickey rourke was awesome in it and play th part really well

As a wrestling fan, the wrestling matches were realistic and were well put together.

For wrestling fans out there there is a cameo from a current WWE star in the film. R-truth (ron Killings) is in it as he talks talks to Ram when he comes to watch after his heart attack.

I think he is a cross between Jake "the snake" roberts and Hulk hogan.

Marisa Tomei and Rachael evan wood were also great in theri roles as ram tries to have a life outside the wrestlying ring.

Paul

Watched it for the 3rd time just then. Every time you watch it you get a different slant and draw different opinions and emotions for it. IMO its the best movie this decade never mind this year.

The link between wrestling and other various forms of life was what made it for me. The scene where hes at the deli and being a friendly showman and funny guy spoke volumes too me about the world we live in. If Rouke doesnt get a Oscar itll be the biggest injustice in history.

What topped it off for me was hearing The Boss in the credits. Brilliant song.

Great song to finish an amazing movie.

I also got chills as soon as i heard the intro to 'Sweet Child O Mine' with the crowd screaming in the background. Who wouldn't want to run out to that? (although in the context of the movie, very sad).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back