Society & Culture Things in life you just don't understand - Part 5

Remove this Banner Ad

I consider myself lucky to the rest of the world, to my brother who was almost crushed to death and left disabled by my age, to my other brother who died of cancer a long time ago, etc etc. As I said, I was also a centrelink kid with the associated disadvantage and lack of material goods and experiences that kids like. A bit unlucky I guess. Like yourself growing up.

But statistically, by the social and lifestyle standards of the country I reside, not the entire world, I still have less than average. Less money, less assets, less chicks I've laid, less overseas travel, etc.

So I gotta ask myself, having less than most of my countrymen, do I consider myself lucky? Well, do ya, punk?
Probably depends on what you compare yourself to.

At my age I earn more and very few people I know own a home (even fewer did it without any assistance from parents, not that I begrudge those that do).

I can’t say I really understand someone who owns a home and knows how much work it takes and how it literally gets harder every single day begrudging 20 somethings now complaining about how hard it is personally.

I can’t say I really understand someone who owns a home and knows how much work it takes and how it literally gets harder every single day begrudging 20 somethings now complaining about how hard it is personally.

That's it. Because I know how hard it is. You see others with more means, waste it, mid 20s is only 6 years younger than me. And many of them have more than I did at that stage, which is fine, but the complaining about the s**t sandwhich of a situation, that they aren't doing a lot about on a personal level to improve, by making sacrifice and being responsible, is the begrudging.

Also because I live somewhere where high wage jobs requiring no qualifications fall off trees and people don't appreciate it. My mate earns 160k and his home loan is 130 bucks a fortnight. If you think he doesn't complain about being broke all the time, you'd be mistaken.

That's it. Because I know how hard it is. You see others with more means, waste it, mid 20s is only 6 years younger than me. And many of them have more than I did at that stage, which is fine, but the complaining about the s**t sandwhich of a situation, that they aren't doing a lot about on a personal level to improve, by making sacrifice and being responsible, is the begrudging.

Also because I live somewhere where high wage jobs requiring no qualifications fall off trees and people don't appreciate it. My mate earns 160k and his home loan is 130 bucks a fortnight. If you think he doesn't complain about being broke all the time, you'd be mistaken.
I have no doubt that there are plenty complaining for complaining sake (don’t think that’s just young people either) but the housing crisis is a National one, our anecdotal experiences don’t play at that level.

I have no doubt that there are plenty complaining for complaining sake (don’t think that’s just young people either) but the housing crisis is a National one, our anecdotal experiences don’t play at that level.
I have never denied a crisis. I support the fact there is. I don't think discretional spending being higher than other generations is a anecdotal though.

I have never denied a crisis. I support the fact there is. I don't think discretional spending being higher than other generations is a anecdotal though.
Probably depends on whether you think the discretional spending is because of the crisis or the reason for the crisis really.

Anecdotally every boomer I know claims they used to live on bread and water and walked everywhere to save on petrol and then proceeds to tell you stories about travelling around the country or the world and big nights out etc etc. so 🤷🏼‍♂️.

Bottom line, to me, young people know don’t get to have what their parents had (which was kind of everything)

Probably depends on whether you think the discretional spending is because of the crisis or the reason for the crisis really.

Anecdotally every boomer I know claims they used to live on bread and water and walked everywhere to save on petrol and then proceeds to tell you stories about travelling around the country or the world and big nights out etc etc. so 🤷🏼‍♂️.

Bottom line, to me, young people know don’t get to have what their parents had (which was kind of everything)
yeah its great
my parents got married at 20, both working full time, traveled the world including living overseas for almost 2 years
came home from all that travel and bought a place 15 kms from the cbd

yeah in the 80s by the time they had kids things got pretty tight with the recession

but they sold that place, built closer to where the worked and they were in a brand new home they pretty much owned by 40 with 2 kids and all that travel done

My dad got a letter from the Government telling he was off to the army and to fight in Vietnam......pretty glad we didn't get everything our parents had.

My dad got a letter from the Government telling he was off to the army and to fight in Vietnam......pretty glad we didn't get everything our parents had.
Was it a nice letter still? Nice font, envelope, coat of arms?

yeah its great
my parents got married at 20, both working full time, traveled the world including living overseas for almost 2 years
came home from all that travel and bought a place 15 kms from the cbd

yeah in the 80s by the time they had kids things got pretty tight with the recession

but they sold that place, built closer to where the worked and they were in a brand new home they pretty much owned by 40 with 2 kids and all that travel done
Exactly.
Fair point although i think we still have mandatory conscription dont we?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was going to play supers this year (over 35s) and that was $325 and they only play 10 games.

$32.50 a game.
Majority probably insurance to cover all the old bastards breaking their hips after going for speccies I reckon.

Majority probably insurance to cover all the old bastards breaking their hips after going for speccies I reckon.
Yeh most footy clubs insurance doesn’t cover aaaaaanything for the players. I snapped my Achilles in the last training session before round one and got asked straight away if I had private health and ambos.

Yeh most footy clubs insurance doesn’t cover aaaaaanything for the players. I snapped my Achilles in the last training session before round one and got asked straight away if I had private health and ambos.
That's rubbish. I fractured the top of my tibia after landing after going for a header and hyper extending my knee and insurance covered a lot, even got the cost of going to a private emergency reimbursed.

That's rubbish. I fractured the top of my tibia after landing after going for a header and hyper extending my knee and insurance covered a lot, even got the cost of going to a private emergency reimbursed.
I have only ever had medical costs covered when I was playing higher level footy. Local footy they never covered a cent

When the hubby did his knee, the insurance only covered the out of pocket expenses after medicare and private health - the insurance is such bullshit.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back