Things that please me - Part 5

Remove this Banner Ad

So bit of a boast however be aware I'm coming from a long way back. Need to preface by saying that I am not in any way decent with DIY home repairs.

So last week one morning when leaving for work I noticed a larger than usual amount of steam coming out of our gas water heater, went for a look and sure enough the pressure relief valve was leaking and spitting everywhere. Wife came out and sighed "Ill call a plumber today" called me back and said they were all quoting $400-$600 to replace. Thought "heck this, its a release valve for water, surely doesnt touch the gas pipe??" and looked up youtube DIY's for replacing the pressure relief valve. Called her back and said "leave it Ill do it myself". Even though we were on the phone in different parts of Melbourne I could still see the look of shock on her face.

Sat morning, trucked on down to Bunnings with the valve measurements, found it and also bought a Stillson wrench. Studied the youtube vid meticulously and bang, replaced without a hitch, took me about 40 min (need to drain the tank below the valve obviously and all those tiny but necessary steps).

So all up $100 for the replacement valve and a wrench and 40 min of my time and anywhere between $300-$500 saved.

Quite proud of myself considering I am a danger to mankind with any sort of tool in my hand.

Just get a simple portable induction plate… does not have to be expensive stove top replacement.
don't mind that idea tbh - i had a sleepless night from leaving the gas cooker on all night

So bit of a boast however be aware I'm coming from a long way back. Need to preface by saying that I am not in any way decent with DIY home repairs.

So last week one morning when leaving for work I noticed a larger than usual amount of steam coming out of our gas water heater, went for a look and sure enough the pressure relief valve was leaking and spitting everywhere. Wife came out and sighed "Ill call a plumber today" called me back and said they were all quoting $400-$600 to replace. Thought "* this, its a release valve for water, surely doesnt touch the gas pipe??" and looked up youtube DIY's for replacing the pressure relief valve. Called her back and said "leave it Ill do it myself". Even though we were on the phone in different parts of Melbourne I could still see the look of shock on her face.

Sat morning, trucked on down to Bunnings with the valve measurements, found it and also bought a Stillson wrench. Studied the youtube vid meticulously and bang, replaced without a hitch, took me about 40 min (need to drain the tank below the valve obviously and all those tiny but necessary steps).

So all up $100 for the replacement valve and a wrench and 40 min of my time and anywhere between $300-$500 saved.

Quite proud of myself considering I am a danger to mankind with any sort of tool in my hand.
Love DIY - especially when it works!

Love DIY - especially when it works!
I have a hammer that has spent more time in the air from being thrown by me than it has performing it’s correct job such are my handyman skills

I have a hammer that has spent more time in the air from being thrown by me than it has performing it’s correct job such are my handyman skills
I once had such a mare at a DIY effort that fixing a pipe under the sink resulted in punching a hole in the nearest door!

Bathroom sink was blocked, wanted to take apart the drainpipe and clear it which worked easily but putting it back together just wouldn't work. The screw cap was cracked so needed to be just right or it'd leak. 30-40 mins fiddling around with this thing, ready to explode I got it! Then it fell apart and leaked. I lost it and punched a door to bits (it needed replacing anyway so it was therapeutic at the time).

By clearing that pipe I realised the blockage was further down the drain under the bath anyway so was all a waste of time and needed to get a plumber anyway.

Blocked drain cost me a plumbers fee and a door. DIY sucks

My claims to fame are tiling the front and back patios, and making a built-in pantry cupboard. Wallpapered several rooms back when it was fashionable - TG it’s not anymore! Painting and restringing the clothesline was my last project 🤣

My claims to fame are tiling the front and back patios, and making a built-in pantry cupboard. Wallpapered several rooms back when it was fashionable - TG it’s not anymore! Painting and restringing the clothesline was my last project 🤣
Well I’ve just ordered a carport and veranda to put up with my father in law so that will be an interesting project. My fil is very handy but also ocd and he is the project manager whilst I am the pleb. I can see myself getting very annoyed but it will save me about 10k in installation fees.

It’s a running joke in our house that when the other half has something needs to be repaired or put together that we ask if he wants a hammer

It’s the Go to tool when it’s not going according to instructions

I Spotified my car with a $25 gadget. It Bluetooths with my phone then emits a radio signal that the antenna in the rear window picks up. I reckon a lot of people have left them on the default frequency as sometimes at the lights I will pick up what the car next to me is playing.

Got 3 months free Spotify Premium offer then cancelled to see how annoying the ads were. It kept prompting me to upgrade then yesterday it offered 3 months Premium for $13.99. Sweet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I Spotified my car with a $25 gadget. It Bluetooths with my phone then emits a radio signal that the antenna in the rear window picks up. I reckon a lot of people have left them on the default frequency as sometimes at the lights I will pick up what the car next to me is playing.

Got 3 months free Spotify Premium offer then cancelled to see how annoying the ads were. It kept prompting me to upgrade then yesterday it offered 3 months Premium for $13.99. Sweet.
Details plz

Sky News setting up that kid who caught the million-dollar-fish with things from his past and it completely backfiring to the point where they had to issue a same day apology

Remove this Banner Ad

Back