Society & Culture Things you once hated but now like (and vice versa)

Remove this Banner Ad

How did you develop the taste? Did you start with water-beer and work your way up?

I remember being 17 and drinking Toohey's Extra Dry and not thinking it was revolting. These days I couldn't stomach the stuff.

I'm developing an appreciation for stronger, more flavoursome beers. Not sure if that's a good or bad thing.
I just kept trying different beers here and there because it's such a social drink (though favoured the bourbon and cokes). Eventually I found one that didn't seem as bad (Boags premium, I think). Stuck with that for a while and then tried others and loved 'em.

Cricket. Loved it when I was younger. Could sit and watch a whole one day international. These days I think it's a boring as bat s**t.

Rugby League. Growing up it was my number one code. Since my team, the North Sydney Bears, were evicted I haven't really had any real interest in it.

Wrestling. Loved watching Rock and Wrestling when I was a kid. These days it's a load of put on crap.

Gin. Was my drink of choice til I had a really bad night on it. Now I can't touch the stuff.

University

in my art student days I just thought of them all as diploma mills, taking your money so you could get a piece of paper that you don't really need to do whatever job you want (which I suppose for arts degrees is generally true)

when you do a real degree, you appreciate it a bit more, especially if you've worked a bit in unskilled work.

I think Uni should be banned until you're 21. everyone should spend a few years in the unskilled work force. they will have a better idea of what they want to do, and if they decide to go down the tertiary education path, they will be better students, and the drop-out rates will drop.

I agree with the premise that most people aren't ready for uni until they're 21, but not to the point that people shouldn't be allowed to begin tertiary education until they're 21. While I'd say the vast majority of uni students aren't ready especially not in their first year out of high school, there are some who are ready as soon as they finish high school. Not sure what the solution would be though, or if there even is one.

I've always thought it would've been good if Universities didn't come in seemingly every week in year 12 to 'sell their product'. And teachers constantly reminding you to put in your Uni application, if students weren't constantly told to do so I reckon you'd see a drop in Uni enrolments straight out of school as they'd have to get off their arse and do it themselves.

The problem with starting uni at 21 is that everyone aged 18-21 who would otherwise go to uni has to find something else to do. The job market sucks now, and it would only suck more with a whole bunch of 19 & 20 year olds joining the optimistically named talent pool.

I started uni at 17 and had nearly 4 full years under by belt before my 21st birthday. If I'd dicked around for 3-4 years after high school I probably wouldn't be that inclined to go to uni at 21, but horses for courses.

University

in my art student days I just thought of them all as diploma mills, taking your money so you could get a piece of paper that you don't really need to do whatever job you want (which I suppose for arts degrees is generally true)

when you do a real degree, you appreciate it a bit more, especially if you've worked a bit in unskilled work.

I agree with this bit, though. I don't really understand why people choose to study courses that don't make them employable. Sure it's not all about going in hoping to come out earning big bucks, but if you are going to spend 3-5 years and $30k+ surely you want something useful with your name on it?

So many courses these days are just about just learning stuff for the sake of learning stuff. If you are an expert in Baroque paintings then great, but how often do you see an ad for that in the paper? What's the point of studying international business when people actually do international business? So many waffle commerce units.

The fundamentals don't change. Many courses require a degree to get a foot in the door, but once there you need to be able to do stuff. For the elite of the elite you need to be dux of a private school, receive first class honours from university, know the right people at the right firms etc. For everyone else you need to be useful. I've met people with Masters this and MBA that who can't send an email getting then and than right. FFS.

Used to hate maths, now its my job and I love it.

Used to love AFL now I hate it with a passion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Being an obsessed footy fan.

2007: Wore Freo guernseys up to 3 days a week. Room decked out in Freo posters and merchandise all over the walls and shelves. Religiously committed to Tuesday night training sessions, even at the expense of uni lectures and tutorials. Religiously committed to going to a Freo fan group hangout for away games. Religiously committed to all home games and all pre-season matches in Perth.

2017: Only wear Freo shirt/guernsey on game days. A few games only a scarve with a thick black jacket. Only one small A4 poster and scarf on display in the room. Don't bother with training sessions. Can't be bothered watching half the away games. Can't be bothered with pre season games. Have missed a few home games of late whilst in Perth.

Have developed a love for an NRL team, a sport I once loathed.

Am getting into the round ball code, a sport I disliked.

I went to my first footy game since the Hawthorn Melbourne merger match a couple of years ago. It was between Port and Brisbane neither of which existed in their current form in 1996.
I used to watch Sturt train all the time when I was a kid, I used to help Jack Oatey collect the footys up when it finished. I wonder if Clarko has a local primary school kid that helps him do that?

The problem with starting uni at 21 is that everyone aged 18-21 who would otherwise go to uni has to find something else to do. The job market sucks now, and it would only suck more with a whole bunch of 19 & 20 year olds joining the optimistically named talent pool.

I started uni at 17 and had nearly 4 full years under by belt before my 21st birthday. If I'd dicked around for 3-4 years after high school I probably wouldn't be that inclined to go to uni at 21, but horses for courses.

I agree with this bit, though. I don't really understand why people choose to study courses that don't make them employable. Sure it's not all about going in hoping to come out earning big bucks, but if you are going to spend 3-5 years and $30k+ surely you want something useful with your name on it?

So many courses these days are just about just learning stuff for the sake of learning stuff. If you are an expert in Baroque paintings then great, but how often do you see an ad for that in the paper? What's the point of studying international business when people actually do international business? So many waffle commerce units.

The fundamentals don't change. Many courses require a degree to get a foot in the door, but once there you need to be able to do stuff. For the elite of the elite you need to be dux of a private school, receive first class honours from university, know the right people at the right firms etc. For everyone else you need to be useful. I've met people with Masters this and MBA that who can't send an email getting then and than right. FFS.

Exactly same life experience as you've shared and agree with the sentiment.

I was lucky in a sense as I can't say I put a lot of thought or consideration into what I was going to study. Whilst I strangely did really enjoy English, the maths & sciences were probably my strengths and was always just going to go down the more practical path of Engineering. At the time my thought process was not like this, it seems so weird I could have been so blaise about such a big life decision and glad it has worked ut so well. In an interesting twist I guess now the majority of my role is dependent on soft skills, comprehension and expression rather than specific technical expertise so it has kind of come the full circle anyway. I do feel very lucky that I have managed to gravitate to a fulfilling career without much conscious decision making as I can see the frustration some of my friends and sisters have had in their time since school.

With regard to raising the age, all my friends who had full gap years went into uni without much momentum or motivation to study. For me working right through the summers and breaks was a good enough taste of the "real world" without needing to go a full year. At that sort of age I don't think you're quite getting the full value out of travel experiences (unless the year long structured rotary exchange or set programs), but willing to hear how anyone went with that.

University

I think Uni should be banned until you're 21. everyone should spend a few years in the unskilled work force. they will have a better idea of what they want to do, and if they decide to go down the tertiary education path, they will be better students, and the drop-out rates will drop.

Universities would never go for that. People dropping out after census date is a large source of revenue.

I liked Australian rules football more when I was younger. Older I've gotten and the improved internet/Foxtel showing overseas sports has meant I can see how s**t some of the broadcasting and coverage is. Most people actually have no ******* idea how the game is played because the media can't be bothered explaining the strategy or tactics. Then coach James Hird came along and ******* destroyed the club for years and a lot - A LOT - of ******* morons defended him. That took all the fun away. I didn't go to a single game in 2015. Even if we win spoons for a decade it'll never be as bad at that period was. More generally we last won a final when I was 17 and I'm now 30. I'm sure if we were better than slightly above average I'd get more into it.

Last edited:
I didn't like rugby much as a kid. Think I was a teenager before I realised there were two versions of it. Can watch it in doses now. Problem is one of them is a ultra bogan and the other is private school wankers. At least with the AFL it's aimed at everybody and 15,000 people isn't considered a "good crowd".

Even though cricket was the sport I played most as a kid and I make an effort to go once a year (and still have the idea of going to the 2019 World Cup Final in London in my mind) I'm not sure how much I really like it. I rarely drink at Essendon games but at cricket games being drunk is part of the planning. Twenty20 and the BBL is a real shot in the arm. I'm going to the first day of Boxing Day for the Ashes this year but I think I'm done with going to Test cricket after that until the next home Ashes (2021?). BBL will be the one game a year I go to.

I liked Australian rules football more when I was younger. Older I've gotten and the improved internet/Foxtel showing overseas sports has meant I can see how s**t some of the broadcasting and coverage is. Most people actually have no ******* idea how the game is played because the media can't be bothered explaining the strategy or tactics. Then coach James Hird came along and ******* destroyed the club for years and a lot - A LOT - of ******* morons defended him. That took all the fun away. I didn't go to a single game in 2015. Even if we win spoons for a decade it'll never be as bad at that period was. More generally we last won a final when I was 17 and I'm now 30. I'm sure if we were better than slightly above average I'd get more into it.
Your team finished 7th last season, that's above average and you guys have some exciting players to watch (Daniher, McDonald-Tipungwuti, Merrett). Surely this is incentive to get back into it?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back