Things you only learned later in life ( and wish you knew earlier)

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't get caught up in trying to find the right moment to act, in regards to relationships, career, or even the small actions we do every day.
This. Also don't be afraid to tackle small problems deceively however unpleasant. Most big problems are not 1 but rather made up of many unresolved small ones.

This. Also don't be afraid to tackle small problems deceively however unpleasant. Most big problems are not 1 but rather made up of many unresolved small ones.
Added to this: If the problem looks too big, take a step back and assess the size of it. Then attack it brick by brick

When guys say "they don't want to be in a relationship" trust me, they do not.

When girls say "they don't want to be in a relationship" trust me, they do not. Or they do. Or they might. Or they do, but they don't, and they just need to be single for a while to find themselves, but they're totally ready if the right guy comes along, as long as they're in the right space, and...

:D

I'm still frustrated by myself on a daily basis. I don't know how my wife puts up with me. When do you get past this?
Hard to to put my finger on it, at some point I figured I'd just stop beating myself up over things I can't do/have done/can't change, and enjoy what I've got.

When girls say "they don't want to be in a relationship" trust me, they do not. Or they do. Or they might. Or they do, but they don't, and they just need to be single for a while to find themselves, but they're totally ready if the right guy comes along, as long as they're in the right space, and...

:D

Your point? :p

I'm still frustrated by myself on a daily basis. I don't know how my wife puts up with me. When do you get past this?
When you start changing those things that you know to be wrong about yourself.

We're probably very similar in that regard - I've always hated things about myself but would refuse to change for whatever reason. They were personality traits or behaviours that I knew were self-destructive, negative and/or lazy. The voice in the back of my head would tell me to stop doing them constantly since I was a young kid, or after the fact, would lament making the same mistakes again. Yet I'd just go on and do them.

There's still a lot of things I need to work on to make me a better person (as I see it). But I'm getting there. I'm 32 now and probably started sorting myself out only a few years ago. Long way to go, but I'm already much happier now, for what that's worth. At the very least, I feel like I'm producing more good in the world than bad (or wastage).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also those who seek to offer you advice/instruction/prompts/tell you what to do etc are not the ones who have to live your life. That is down to you and you alone.
This is really good advice, I know I've made a few mistakes by following the advice of friends/family/co-workers even when in the back of my mind I wasn't confident in what they were telling me.

Real estate regret is really just something for the over 30s. By the time I started working house prices had already boomed and bank interest rates were hovering around 8%. I worked with people only 3-4 years older who had 6 figure salaries and loan:income ratios of about 2:1. They thought they were clever but it was just right place, right time stuff. Frustrating that the same opportunities weren't there for me, but such is life. Not a regret.

What I do wish I'd learned earlier having grown up in real estate obsessed Australia is that the value of your home adds no value to your life. So many people just don't get this.

It doesn't matter what other people think.

Love to agree 100%. But as above: Partners, Employers, Judges and Jury Members, Family etc

I think it is more you can't control what others think of you so it is a waste of time trying. Some people will take a set against you for whatever reason. And there is not a thing you can do about it. You can't control what they think of you and vice versa.

Your best bet is to try and surround yourself with good people and protect yourself when things go awry for whatever reason.

Should have done the course I am completing a Grad Dip in now as a Degree instead of the Engineering one I took.

Don’t worry about what you can’t change.

Sounds really obvious but I have lost half a life’s sleep time panicking over things I may as well have just let ride. That and learning (and sometimes you do have to actively train yourself) to be content in the moment are two of the most valuable learnings I can think of.

You will make bad decisions. You will * up royally. You will take the wrong road.

But all you can ever do in life is call it as you see it. Just try and be a good person or failing that don't screw anyone over.

Just do your best.......................................................................................................................................................................................

Buuuuuuuuuuuttttttttt: If things really really go bad try and make sense of it with grace and humility. Don't crack the shits with people..............I don't believe in regrets but I really really wish I could take certain things back.

Last edited:
All experiences are good experiences, especially the bad ones.
Never miss a chance to go somewhere you haven't been before.
Never trade the number 1 draft pick.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back