Tiger preimership player writes a personal reference for an alleged criminal

Remove this Banner Ad

What does the article say in the hun,,
A MAN accused of bashing a disability pensioner during a violent armed robbery has been granted bail after a glowing reference from an AFL premiership player.

Richmond star Brandon Ellis has come to the defence of his close mate, who is accused of taping a grandfather’s mouth shut and holding the man prisoner in his Carlton home.

Ellis’ long-time friend and former schoolmate Omar Benhaddou, 24, was released from custody last month after being charged with armed robbery and false imprisonment over the alleged incident in Carlton.

A MAN accused of bashing a disability pensioner during a violent armed robbery has been granted bail after a glowing reference from an AFL premiership player.

Richmond star Brandon Ellis has come to the defence of his close mate, who is accused of taping a grandfather’s mouth shut and holding the man prisoner in his Carlton home.

Ellis’ long-time friend and former schoolmate Omar Benhaddou, 24, was released from custody last month after being charged with armed robbery and false imprisonment over the alleged incident in Carlton.
Thanks

Does Ellis have some standing/involvement in the community, other than being an AFL player with a premiership medallion?

If not I'm struggling to see why any worth should be attached to a character reference from a mate of the accused whose only apparent achievement is being a professional sportsman.

Disclaimer; As the article is paywalled I haven't read it so there may be context I am unaware of.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm sure people give character references for shady people all the time and the only reason this is making the news is because it's Brandon Ellis.

However, They should lock the guy up no matter how good his mates talk him up. If you want to run around committing crimes and hurt innocent people, especially people who cannot defend themselves, you should get the book thrown at you. I am sick to death of people being let out on bail or with good behaviour bonds because of some piss weak reason.

said he was loyal and trustworthy. ******* lol.

Loyal and trustyworthy people dont bash and hold the elderly prisioners

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Pretty scummy behaviour, giving a character reference for a guy you knew did something disgusting.

Think about it for a second. He was telling the court about the person he knows, nothing to do with the incident!

The court is at fault here, not Ellis. But given he hasn't yet been trialled, I'll hold further judgment!

A then-friend of mine murdered his housemate once.

He wasn't a particularly close friend, and I certainly wasn't asked to give him a reference, but the feelings you have at the time that it happens are incredibly complicated. I don't think it's fair to judge people in the situation.

A then-friend of mine murdered his housemate once.

He wasn't a particularly close friend, and I certainly wasn't asked to give him a reference, but the feelings you have at the time that it happens are incredibly complicated. I don't think it's fair to judge people in the situation.

I know right? For all we know that disabled pensioner started it.

:rolleyes:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back