Tigers confirm AFLW list changes

Remove this Banner Ad

Hosking was traded in for an end of first round priority pick. I can’t see how a similar haul is possible this year unless other clubs are having a fire sale and Richmond give up something like their 1st, 2nd and 3rd or manage to move a player out for a decent return.

1 high draft pick and one or two B graders traded in would be a good result but I think given their improved 2021 season Richmond will be more likely to be patient and back in youngsters via the draft and then trade in players unwanted by other clubs but with upside to improve positions 28-30 on the list.

Yes with Vic picks 3, 11 and 19, that's 3 picks inside the top 20
it's draft time for the Tigers, unless someone very good comes up for pick 11 or more likely pick 19

We got in darcy and cordner for lower picks, no way on earth could you replicate that QTY with draft sections in the aflw that runs about 10 deep at best. its not the mens competition and rebuilding a list through the draft is fanciful unless you had like 4 picks in top 12

Last year we were in dire straights with being non competitive, didn't win a game with a % of 35.7
This season we were competitive in nearly all games, we won 3 and had a % of 84.6
We had to trade for better experience than we had in Hosking (Vic pick 9), Cordner (Vic pick 11) and D'Arcy (Vic pick 21)
Now we have a decent blend of experience and youth and we have off loaded 3 young players
With 3 Vic picks inside the top 20 and there's at least 20-25 really good players coming thru in this years U/18's, i think it's time we went to the draft again for the coming season
Trade for good players the season after

it's draft time for the Tigers, unless someone very good comes up for pick 11 or more likely pick 19

Last year we were in dire straights with being non competitive, didn't win a game with a % of 35.7
This season we were competitive in nearly all games, we won 3 and had a % of 84.6
We had to trade for better experience than we had in Hosking (Vic pick 9), Cordner (Vic pick 11) and D'Arcy (Vic pick 21)
Now we have a decent blend of experience and youth and we have off loaded 3 young players
With 3 Vic picks inside the top 20 and there's at least 20-25 really good players coming thru in this years U/18's, i think it's time we went to the draft again for the coming season
I’d have no problem trading 2-3 pick , the probability of a player D’Arcy or cordner qty would be remote

I’d have no problem trading 2-3 pick , the probability of a player D’Arcy or cordner qty would be remote

Yeah i'd have no problem if the right player became available for our 2nd and/or 3rd pick
The salary cap Tier system makes it difficult to trade more good players in, as you can only have so many Tier 1 and 2 players
Would players such as Hosking, Cordner and D'Arcy be available this year for trade?
And how do we fit them in a Tier system that only allows (2022)

TierSalaryPlayers
$37,155​
2​
$28,697​
6​
$24,468​
6​
$20,239​
16​

Monahan, Brennan, Conti, Hosking, Frederick, D'Arcy, Bernardi and McKenzie will all be Tier 1 and 2 next season
That's the alloted 8, so who will want to come over for a tier 3 wage?
Which of the above players will want to drop to a tier 3 wage after being a tier 2
Only new Draftee's whether they're pick No 1 or the last pick start on tier 4

Last edited:
Yeah i'd have no problem if the right player became available for our 2nd and/or 3rd pick
The salary cap Tier system makes it difficult to trade more good players in, as you can only have so many Tier 1 and 2 players
Would players such as Hosking, Cordner and D'Arcy be available this year for trade?

TierSalaryPlayers
$37,155​
2​
$28,697​
6​
$24,468​
6​
$20,239​
16​

Monahan, Brennan, Conti, Hosking, Frederick, D'Arcy, Bernardi and McKenzie will all be Tier 1 and 2 next season
Which of the above players will want to drop to a tier 3 wage after being a tier 2
AFLW also allows for discretionary marketing spend that isn’t capped ,

AFLW also allows for discretionary marketing spend that isn’t capped ,

Yes $100,000, that is spread over all players and is allocated as clubs see fit
So the top players (Conti, KB, McKenzie, Frederick) would be getting a fair slice of that pie for media appearances, sponsors usage etc
There's also other benefits given like full time/part time work for the club, use of sponsors goods, like cars (Jeep), apparel (Puma) etc
The club also sells player sponsorship's, with varying $ amounts
But again it comes down to finite football department expenditure, from income received and the women's department earns very little compared to expenditure, unlike the men's where the majority of income versus expense ratio is far and away greater
In fact most of the AFLW teams are running at a loss each year, with the view of present day exposure in an untapped market and with a view for future profit
Hence the part time and not full time nature of the comp

Gees I would love to draft Prespakis but the likelihood of her still being there would unlikely. Still 🤞

Won't be there, going one, or two in a surprise situation.

Do those pick numbers take into account any assistance picks yet? Any by saying Vic picks, have you elevated those numbers by excluding interstate Clubs picks?

TierSalaryPlayers
$37,155​
2​
$28,697​
6​
$24,468​
6​
$20,239​
16​

I would be very surprised if a player considered $4k (which is the diff between T2 and T3) as a stumbling block when moving clubs. If I wanted to move clubs to better my football and thought Richmond was the right fit money wouldn't even enter my mind. I'd be thinking I'd find the money in other ways if I needed it.

Won't be there, going one, or two in a surprise situation.

Do those pick numbers take into account any assistance picks yet? Any by saying Vic picks, have you elevated those numbers by excluding interstate Clubs picks?

No haven't taken into account any assistance selections in the draft order
Yes last years picks i have elevated by taking out interstate clubs

I would be very surprised if a player considered $4k (which is the diff between T2 and T3) as a stumbling block when moving clubs. If I wanted to move clubs to better my football and thought Richmond was the right fit money wouldn't even enter my mind. I'd be thinking I'd find the money in other ways if I needed it.

What type of player are we talking about?
A best 21 or a depth player?
I'm not against trading for a best 21 player who is 24-25 years old
All i'm saying is last year we had to trade for players because we where woeful
We had to trade our 2nd and 3rd and our assistance selection (which was the condition)
We got 3 best 21 players, our midfield needed help, so we got Hosking, we leaked too many scores down back, so we got Cordner and D'Arcy (who was a FWD but we wanted her to play down back)
All 3 have been big inclusions and made us very competitive, which was the whole aim of bringing them in, kudos to our club
This year we don't necessarily have to, we can go to the draft, which in my opinion we should
Draft another 1 or 2 mids, a KPP/Ruck for the future
Draft this year, trade in players next year if there is an obvious whole that needs to be filled quickly

Monahan and Bernandi should be Tier 3 at least and more likely Tier 4 now. They were both fringe players this year. and both likely to be completely bypassed next year If they are Tier 1 or 2 next season then something is wrong with the management of the AFLW team.

I would definitely trade Fredericks also. Send her back to Qld to Gold Coast along with our pick 4 for their pick 1. They still get the same player and we get Prespakis

Monahan and Bernandi should be Tier 3 at least and more likely Tier 4 now. They were both fringe players this year. and both likely to be completely bypassed next year If they are Tier 1 or 2 next season then something is wrong with the management of the AFLW team.

I would definitely trade Fredericks also. Send her back to Qld to Gold Coast along with our pick 4 for their pick 1. They still get the same player and we get Prespakis

With Monahan & Bernardi you'd hope so

Trade Frederick & pick 4 for GC pick 1 = Prespakis, not a radical idea as it looks
Where's the petition, so i can sign up :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With Monahan & Bernardi you'd hope so

Trade Frederick & pick 4 for GC pick 1 = Prespakis, not a radical idea as it looks
Where's the petition, so i can sign up :)
Can see where you are coming from with that - nutty professor! :D

Maybe this sort of thinking has contributed to Monahan's form drop? - just sayin!

We had to trade our 2nd and 3rd and our assistance selection (which was the condition)
We got 3 best 21 players, our midfield needed help, so we got Hosking, we leaked too many scores down back, so we got Cordner and D'Arcy (who was a FWD but we wanted her to play down back)
All 3 have been big inclusions and made us very competitive, which was the whole aim of bringing them in, kudos to our club
This year we don't necessarily have to, we can go to the draft, which in my opinion we should
Draft this year, trade in players next year if there is an obvious whole that needs to be filled quickly

I'm just saying I'm not convinced that the Tier system has as much of a negative impact on trades as some think.

I don't think $$ is what motivates AFLW players. Sure they would absolutely love to be full time or be paid as a collective better than they are but I think they move for many other reasons other than dollars.

So if I wanted to move to better myself and I'm currently on T2 and the club I want to move to can only offer T3 I don't think this is a deal breaker for me especially when we are only talking about $4k. Pay tax on that and its even less.

Just as well we follow a club that is the best in the business when dealing with player contracts. Throw in Neil Balme's involvement in the womens program and I'm even more comfortable.

I don't think you'll be getting your wish with Frederick, especially now she has a mini legend. LOL
1617780303173.png

Just as well we follow a club that is the best in the business when dealing with player contracts. Throw in Neil Balme's involvement in the womens program and I'm even more comfortable.

I don't think you'll be getting your wish with Frederick, especially now she has a mini legend. LOL
View attachment 1096325
If we are making list management decisions on whether the player has a mini legend or not then we are stuffed

If we are making list management decisions on whether the player has a mini legend or not then we are stuffed

Maybe you're right.

Tayla Harris was a mini legend last year. Hasn't been able to handle that kind of pressure.

Maybe you're right.

Tayla Harris was a mini legend last year. Hasn't been able to handle that kind of pressure.

Tayla Harris is massively overrated same with Fredricks. They are dinosaurs who flourished in an era when the short, dumpy and unfit players were sent to the backline. Its a semi professional sport now and they've been found out.

Tayla Harris is massively overrated same with Fredricks. They are dinosaurs who flourished in an era when the short, dumpy and unfit players were sent to the backline. Its a semi professional sport now and they've been found out.

We have short memories. Tayla Harris was in the 2020 All-Australian team and deservingly so. Not too many dumpy unfit players running around last year.

She's had a shocker this year but you couldn't be more wrong about her being a dinosaur. If she gave footy a decent crack and did away with the other distractions she could again be one of the best forwards in 2022.

That’s my point they played a massive part in us lifting a cog , include another 3 best 22 and we just might leap ahead of the three sides in front of us for a finals berth . I don’t believe for a minute we could achieve that via draft alone

I think youre right in your own way , my thoughts are that the game very quickly evolved from Park footy where a big lug up forward would mark everything , greater depth and quality opponent and these lugs have no place at this level in ‘21 Harris actually moves pretty well but for a neat kicking technique she misses more often than she threads them thru and like Livingstone quipped is useless when ball hits the ground

We have short memories. Tayla Harris was in the 2020 All-Australian team and deservingly so. Not too many dumpy unfit players running around last year.

She's had a shocker this year but you couldn't be more wrong about her being a dinosaur. If she gave footy a decent crack and did away with the other distractions she could again be one of the best forwards in 2022.
Hmm dunno , I reckon best 2 key forwards I saw this year were the tall NM lass and our own kB , don’t reckon Harris anywhere near those two

Remove this Banner Ad

Back