Shutty05

Team Captain
Sep 14, 2008
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood VFL, Storm
It was the the Mercury (tassie paper) today the tigers are after a top order batsman or 2, what are your thoughts on who would be availiable and suitable?

i was going to add the link but its dead, the sport link is here:
http://www.themercury.com.au/sport/index.html

Do they go after a younger bat or a more experienced one? they are trying to steady up the top order so they would be after a Chris Rogers type player. Looking around there are not many to pick from, anyone have some ideas?

And if Marsh retires there is a middle order spot as well. I want Michael Hill from Vic!!

Play Doolan. He has been the leading run scorer in the club competition for a couple of years.

I am sure that the selectors could free up a couple of spots for a recruit. (Dawson, Marsh possibly to retire)
Hill would be fantastic. What about Rogers? The Vics have enough batsmen to give one to Tas. After all we gave them Wade.

Phil Jaques should move states! After all at full strength Jaques would struggle to get a game for NSW.

I would be targetting any young kids who aren't being given a go:

Blizzard
Hill
Warner (i'm not joking - he has threatened to leave - http://beta.cricket.yahoo.com/crick...aabroad.com/b99a5973214fae7be1ce92d5e6f14731/)

Tassie's batting isn't that bad, we just need more from Birt and Bailey.

1. Wells.
2. ???
3. Birt
4. Marsh
5. Bailey
6. Butters
7. Paine
Birt hasn't made a run in 4 day cricket. Hilf almost has as many runs. Sure he is a prospect and a very talented batsman, but on form with the red ball Doolan gets the nod over Birt!

On form in one day cricket Birt would be close to a game for Aus. He has just struggled with the red ball.

Birt hasn't made a run in 4 day cricket. Hilf almost has as many runs. Sure he is a prospect and a very talented batsman, but on form with the red ball Doolan gets the nod over Birt!

On form in one day cricket Birt would be close to a game for Aus. He has just struggled with the red ball.

Agree, but i'm sure Birt will have a good county season and come back to Aus in form...His one day form has been amazing...I think he is suited to batting 4/5 in the tas team, first drop is too high. If Marsh retires from Sheffield shield, perhaps Doolan at 3 and Birt at 4...

Mash from Victoria is someone surely that Tasmania will chase in the off-season. Has scored at first class level and can bat in top 3, where Tas have a huge weakness.

Mash from Victoria is someone surely that Tasmania will chase in the off-season. Has scored at first class level and can bat in top 3, where Tas have a huge weakness.
If he can bat in the top 3 he would be on a shortlist.

Wells
Mash
Doolen
Bailey
Hill
Paine
butters

Maybe? it looks Raw

If he can bat in the top 3 he would be on a shortlist.

Wells
Mash
Doolen
Bailey
Marsh
Paine
butters

Maybe? it looks Raw
Hill will not leave, especially with Hodge nearing the end of his career, McDonald, Hussey and White going to be in the aus side, he will be a guaranteed spot in the OD middle order as well as a small chance to be in the FC scene

Hill will not leave, especially with Hodge nearing the end of his career, McDonald, Hussey and White going to be in the aus side, he will be a guaranteed spot in the OD middle order as well as a small chance to be in the FC scene
You say that but earlier in the year those guys were playing for Aus and you played 2 keepers?? walk up start?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There are plenty of top order batsman who might be looking at a change of states.

Aiden Blizzard - Had a pretty bad year, and isn't getting a look in at four day cricket. Quiney is well ahead of him now.
Lloyd Mash - As somebody else mentioned.
Cameron Borgas - A good cricketer, but always the one to miss out with the Redbacks. Averaged 35 in Sheffield Shield this year.
Tom Plant - Young opening batsman. A fair way back in the pecking order at the Redbacks.
Ed Cowan - Opening batsman, seemingly behind Jaques and Mail.
Ben Rohrer - Middle order batsman, played a bit towards the end of the season, but is still a fringe player.
Liam Davis - Another young opening batsman, talented and aggressive player.

Throw in kids like Andy Delmont and Ken Skewes from South Australia, and there a lot of options. If I were Tasmania, I would be looking at Borgas, Davis, Delmont and Cowan.

You say that but earlier in the year those guys were playing for Aus and you played 2 keepers?? walk up start?
he is ahead of Blizzard, and the selectors have given up on Wade in ODD I feel, and Finch hasn't performed. Crossy wants FC as well, and he won't get that here, I feel that he'll move to NSW. that means a top order in ODD:

Rogers
Quiney
Hodge/Hill
Hussey/Hill
White/Hill/Finch
McDonald/Hill/Finch/Wade
Wade/Hastings

There are plenty of top order batsman who might be looking at a change of states.

Aiden Blizzard - Had a pretty bad year, and isn't getting a look in at four day cricket. Quiney is well ahead of him now.
Lloyd Mash - As somebody else mentioned.
Cameron Borgas - A good cricketer, but always the one to miss out with the Redbacks. Averaged 35 in Sheffield Shield this year.
Tom Plant - Young opening batsman. A fair way back in the pecking order at the Redbacks.
Ed Cowan - Opening batsman, seemingly behind Jaques and Mail.
Ben Rohrer - Middle order batsman, played a bit towards the end of the season, but is still a fringe player.
Liam Davis - Another young opening batsman, talented and aggressive player.

Borgas and Plant, you know your batting line up sucks when you think about recruiting South Australian cast offs. No way.

Rohrer did well in the shield this year. Ed Cowan was spruiked as a youngster but hasn't quite lived up to his junior form, could potentially be a second Klinger who struggled with Victoria before moving to SA.

If Davis is any good you would think WA would keep him under lock and key with Langer, Martyn, Gilchrist retired and Hussey, Marsh, North and Voges potentially missing long stints of domestic cricket when called up to Aus squads.

I think tassie will chase Warner pretty hard in the off-season because unless NSW guarantee him a spot in there 4-day side for next season he wont be playing at the blues next year.
Does he open in 4 day cricket at all? i know 1 dayers and 4 are very different but in lower levels does he bat top 3?
He would be a good pickup

Borgas and Plant, you know your batting line up sucks when you think about recruiting South Australian cast offs. No way.

Yet with an average of 35 this year, Cameron Borgas would have been Tasmania's third highest averaging batsman. Only behind Geeves (38) and Bailey (37).

What's the go with Dane Anderson, Rhett Lockyer and Michael Dighton?

Dighton - Will play one-dayers and 20/20, but doubt we will ever see him in the shield comp again.

Lockyer - has cemented a 20/20 spot, and given games in the shield. Has been in the squad 4-5 years now and will continue to press for a top order spot. Don't really think he's a shield opener. Could be suited a 4.

Anderson - droppoed of the face of the earth this season after breaking out last year. Who knows...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back