Time for a flexible schedule late in the season

Remove this Banner Ad

There’s been multiple years where they’ve completely butchered Friday nights. They continue to do it so I don’t get why they don’t seriously consider having a flex schedule or a select few games that cba be changed.
It’s hard to predict how a team will go from year to year. It made sense we got Friday nights after last year and Brisbane didn’t get many.

I don’t blame the AFL for putting Melbourne v Sydney on Friday night back in November last year. It’s impossible to predict what’s going to happen, you’re going to be wrong.

That’s exactly why we need to float the fixture in some way.

Spot the touchy #hypelords fan who doesn't want his precious Friday night game taken away :)
Spot the #pathetic Carlton fan who is on his second or third thread about Melbourne since the Blues fell short at the G (that's your friend PP34 by the way) :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:. Good to see he's finished scrounging through last years's posts about Clayton Oliver on the polls board :D

Also FYI I'd rather hang out with mates on a Friday night than sit in front of the telly. Much prefer weekend afternoons thanks!

Spot the #pathetic Carlton fan who is on his second or third thread about Melbourne since the Blues fell short at the G (that's your friend PP34 by the way) :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:. Good to see he's finished scrounging through last years's posts about Clayton Oliver on the polls board :D

Also FYI I'd rather hang out with mates on a Friday night than sit in front of the telly. Much prefer weekend afternoons thanks!

You realise that your argument is that because Carlton stunk up a host of Friday night games that the AFL should just never fix the problem and should keep on having Friday night stinkers for time immemorial.

#seemssane

Richmond v WCE wouldve been almost foolproof. There is the issue of the 5 day break but both had it so its fair. We were at very best going to be at the fringes of the 8, and Melbourne are Melbourne. And this was already a Friday night fixture earlier in the year, why the double up?

Im for a floating fixture in the last 4 rounds, the AFL will always get it wrong with fixturing at some point if they are gazing into a crystal ball in November.

And if you're travelling to watch your team? How does that work?

Take the Thursday off and go back to work the following Tuesday. That way you can travel on the Thursday and return on the Monday and still be able to watch the game, regardless of what time slot it's in.

When you're the worst performing AFL team for a decade you shouldn't get any Friday night games. But you did. And some of them were late in the season. But then I guess when you've been hammered by an average of eleven goals for two or three seasons straight all those Friday nights would blur into one?

Anyway your suggestion sucks.

Just sit back and enjoy Friday's football masterclass, it'll be great.

I enjoyed it :)

I want to see it introduced but this would be the biggest sticking point for me also.

Similar thought that if you are picking a weekend of footy to travel for and don't want any potentially good games to overlap, like the first 2 Saturday or Sunday arvo games.

Richmond 2017 Premier and 2018 Prelim finalist.
West Coast 2018 premier
2019 both sides expected to be big players everyone knew this.
Richmond huge Melbourne club.
AFL does fixture and does not see that this should be the Friday night fixture even though it ticks every possible box, Big Melbourne club, Reigning Premiers. Not played each other for 35 rounds of Football.

Now hear we are today with the biggest blockbuster game of the year on Foxtel and in a terrible timeslot.

Auskick footy league run by Auskick administrators.

Or Alternativly, believe it or not, Foxtel dosen't just get s**t games, they also get games that people actually want to watch in their contract.

Nah because people travel to watch their teams. I would spit it if I’d organised a day off on a Friday so I could travel to Melbourne only for my team to be bumped. Or if I’d booked accomodation for Saturday and my team got brought forward to Friday night

They all play on the same day (bar 1) so all they have to do is move one of the times later - its not like the farcical AFL where every match has to be on at a completely different time slot.

Bar 2. Thursday and Monday.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Imagine if................................................ There were two Friday night games and they were Mel v Syd or Rich v WC

Ch7 and fox could telecast both games on their alternative channels.
  • Ch7 for one game and ch mate for the other.
  • Fox footy for one game and 503 for the other.
The obvious flaw in this method though is that it dilutes the "worth" of the FNF covet and therefore neither fox or 7 would pay as much for tv rights because the time-slots are not separated.

The other choice would be:
  • Ch7 has one FN game and fox the other.
The obvious flaw in this method is that the bulk of the public miss out on one of the games. The trade off of "pay tv" I guess.

No doubt that a floating fixture would need looking at - ideally after the 17 rounds when everyone has played each other once. Again the obvious flaw would be people making travel arrangements previous to the floating fixture.

No doubt that a floating fixture would need looking at - ideally after the 17 rounds when everyone has played each other once. Again the obvious flaw would be people making travel arrangements previous to the floating fixture.

makes too much sense for the AFL to implement.

It's not a perfect solution, but I reckon you could have three games floating, and a month or two out, from those three games, one is chosen for Friday night and then the other two become the Saturday 1.45pm and 2.10pm games.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back