Time for Tough Love?

Remove this Banner Ad

TheBuzz

Club Legend
Sep 27, 2007
Purple Monkey Dishwasher
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I think it might be, as Brady & Boomer intimated after the game.

It has been a bit of a love in over the past year with all the "Great young list, great young coach, Best Facilities, We've drafted so well" talk where everything footy related is being hyped up.

It seems to me that the playing group (particularly the 1-4 year players) may hold a belief/assumption/expectation that success will be a given in due course, because of the above. (Thats my impression, I have no inner scrotum knowledge to back this up).

I think a few home truths, that winning will only come about through hard work, a genuine desire for success & proper execution of the footy fundamentals (the opposite of what we saw today) could sting the playing group into action for the rest of the season.

Name names where appropriate, & honestly adress the players that are falling short in their respective KPI's in front of the group.

Especially with the bye, I think the timing is perfect, to let the message set in, have the players stew on it for two weeks & ensure they come out firing against Freo. Then maybe we can be 2-2 after round 5 & season back on track.

Now don't get me wrong, I don't think we're at panic stations. As much as I hate to admit, Collingwood are a super team & will smash almost everyone this year. But more I think about it, the more a bit of tough love makes sense to me.

I just hope, if it happens, that these Gen Y'ers can take it, & not sook.

We are just not wining the one-on-one contests, are not playing in front, there is no aggression at the contest, we are fumbling like a pack of school girls, not hitting targets.

Our run was actually better today and we sliced through the Collingwood press many times, had we not fumbled, made good decisions and hit targets we would have had a lot more scoring opportunities. The finishing is a totally different basket case.

We had 54 inside 50s against Collingwood and we got destroyed at the stoppages. Last year we had 37 inside 50s against them while similarly getting spanked. I thought we moved through their press a lot better, we just let ourselves down by not being fair dinkum at the stoppages and at the contest.

Our tackling was complete s**t again, some very weak efforts. We used to be a ferocious tackling team. We got out-tackled by the team that dominated the ball.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back