Society/Culture Time to go dairy farmers. No one likes you!

Remove this Banner Ad

$5.80 for a 500g stick of butter!!!! Wtf honestly. These pigs.

It was only a few years ago these "dairy farmers" where whinging to the public for aid to fight coles and woolworths. And stupidly enough people stopped buying coles branded milk and bolstered them again.

Bring Coles and competition back. I've even seen a "Rokeby" farms brand new in the shops. This was the exact region of Gippsland that was "struggling" and sooking to the public. Now business is good and healthy. It's time to go back to ripping people off.

Here is a perfect example of why it's better when industries struggle. I'd like to hear the counter argument.

really? Coles and Woolworths work together to eliminate competition and bring higher prices to us all. Large monopolies will use there forces to set prices. The Supermarkets attract customers with "low prices" but there policies overall rise prices. Their cosmetic standards for fruit means that large amounts never leaves the farm, massively increasing waste and the cost of production. Coles and Woolies together threatened Hotels opening bottle shops that unless they agreed to
certain conditions about operating the bottle shops (basically agreeing not to compete competing) that they coles and woolies would wage endless plann9ing objections towards the Hotels. (this came up at the ACCC and woolies and coles were fined)

In the Capitalist system , large corporation have a large ability to influence, control the "free market", and it's extremely profitable to do so. The Elimination of competition is profitable, Big businesses in the same sector like cole sand woolies have a lot of common interests and work together to eliminate small business.

Dairy farmers are being forced to selll milk to the monopolist corporations at very low prices that makes dairy farmer unsustainable. That they have shifted their focus top things that actually make some money should hardly be surprising.

really? Coles and Woolworths work together to eliminate competition and bring higher prices to us all. Large monopolies will use there forces to set prices. The Supermarkets attract customers with "low prices" but there policies overall rise prices. Their cosmetic standards for fruit means that large amounts never leaves the farm, massively increasing waste and the cost of production. Coles and Woolies together threatened Hotels opening bottle shops that unless they agreed to
certain conditions about operating the bottle shops (basically agreeing not to compete competing) that they coles and woolies would wage endless plann9ing objections towards the Hotels. (this came up at the ACCC and woolies and coles were fined)

In the Capitalist system , large corporation have a large ability to influence, control the "free market", and it's extremely profitable to do so. The Elimination of competition is profitable, Big businesses in the same sector like cole sand woolies have a lot of common interests and work together to eliminate small business.

Dairy farmers are being forced to selll milk to the monopolist corporations at very low prices that makes dairy farmer unsustainable. That they have shifted their focus top things that actually make some money should hardly be surprising.

Part of the OP's gripe was that consumers went into bat for them in their battle with the supermarkets, and this is how Dairy Farmers repays them?

I think the other thing is coles/woolies would be selling milk for a song potentially even making a loss knowing they will make it back in spades when the OP buys butter and maybe a treat for the kids as well.

Milk is in the very back corner for a reason

Part of the OP's gripe was that consumers went into bat for them in their battle with the supermarkets, and this is how Dairy Farmers repays them?

Then don’t support them and don’t buy butter. Simples

If you had a litre of raw milk and I offered you a dollar and the OP offered you 2, who are selling your milk to?

some consumers. I don't think the vast majority did. What are the farmers doing that is so wrong and breaking any 'trust' with the consumers?

My grips with the OP is his belief that coles/woolies are somehow paragons of competition. They are not. Anti-Competitive practices are profitable. Large corporations will pursue them for that reason.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On another note, can any of this even be the farmers fault? All they do is sell milk. They have their contracts with whoever, collect milk from cows and get paid. The farmers don't decide what happens to the milk once it goes outside their gate.

I'm glad they were able to use us to keep them afloat until the international soft cheese market took off

So I know this is a big statement, but for all the ridiculously uninformed, imbecilic, incorrect and outright embarrassing rant-threads ever created on bigfooty, this one is the worst.

The worst.

You haven't visited the general footy board of late then.

If the lad wants to melt over butter, then who are we to pan his fry-up?

That’ll do.

End thread.

It was a joke. Dairy farmers are price gouging the very people they leaned off to survive. They are non-reciprocating hacks. Look it up or read the entire thread.

$5.80 for a 500g stick of butter!!!! Wtf honestly. These pigs.

It was only a few years ago these "dairy farmers" where whinging to the public for aid to fight coles and woolworths. And stupidly enough people stopped buying coles branded milk and bolstered them again.

Bring Coles and competition back. I've even seen a "Rokeby" farms brand new in the shops. This was the exact region of Gippsland that was "struggling" and sooking to the public. Now business is good and healthy. It's time to go back to ripping people off.

Here is a perfect example of why it's better when industries struggle. I'd like to hear the counter argument.
Mate. Let me run you through some simple principles of economics before you shoot off on a tangent. There are hundreds of dairy farmers that run businesses in the country. They all have a primary focus of producing their products and ensuring end to end the process is sound and the product is good. They also need to manage their assets (livestock) and infrastructure to produce their products.

Everything I’ve just described costs a lot of money. When the product is ready for purchase, the real market mechanisms can be analysed. Who are the buyers? What price do they sell for? What costs are involved in selling? Enter Coles/Woolworths. Large and powerful grocery chains that monopolise the market and can buy in bulk of these dairy farmers.

As a dairy farming business, your objective is to move your stock in a short timeframe to ensure your inventory isn’t stagnant and pushing towards an expiration date. So when a large buyer comes along and says ‘We are buying for X because we’ve advertised it for Y’. Essentially they’ve got no choice. Because when Woolworths advertises for X, Coles pushes the price down on the same product to consumers.

The Dairy Farmers are at the mercy of the large chains and what they want to buy because they monopolise the market and can take high inventory loads very quickly. The Dairy Farmers are backed into a corner, do they sell or hold? Well they need to sell to keep moving don’t they? They are small businesses a lot of the time with facilities that don’t cater for high storage.

They also just can’t sell their products for a higher price at farmers markets. They don’t have the ability, time or resources to organise high volume sales to the public who know they can buy the product for $2 off a shelf.

I am not sure you know much about farming, but many of these businesses really struggle and are at the mercy of the big chains driving their profits sky high for their shareholders.

So next time you bitch and moan about ‘greedy’ farmers, maybe spare a thought for those farmers whose autopsy report reads ‘Suicide - gunshot wound to the head’.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back