Time to land the next big fish

Remove this Banner Ad

This year will be weird. Cuts to squad numbers and $. So some teams will cut depth, some might have to lose a good player. Some will cut many and draft some. Some might well be ready to trade in good young depth for one good player (Adelaide).

There'll be some strange things happen this off season I reckon. And we're in the right space to make a few deals.

We aint the Dawks. Happy to develop Bolton, Stack, 2 mums and Dow. Of the free agents mentioned only 3 even worth chasing would be Oliver, Brayshaw and Cripps and maybe that Greene kid from GWS
I assume you're talking about Toby... But I'd love (and I'm aware probably no more gettable than Toby) is Tom Green. GWS Academy product, first year on the list, key plank for the Giants next generation = untouchable... but his grandfather is kinda a big deal for our club, so I can always live in hope!

Sent from my CPH1951 using Tapatalk

Gonna go out on a limb and say Dow will be elite. RCD probably your Hugh Greenwood type. I reckon we chase a promising early twenties type struggling for opportunities rather than a Reel Big Fish.

This really is the last thing we should be doing. We have plenty of talent in our twos who are struggling for opportunity, would make no sense to then go after someone in a similar position at another club. We should be targeting the cream at the top and even sacrificing some of our depth in order to get the right deals done.

Ensure Bolton and Balta are tied up before worrying about players from other clubs.

Really hard to know what mids we should be chasing. Would love Hopper in our team but that horse has bolted.
They’re both contracted to next year aren’t they , I reckon plenty of clubs will come for CCJ , if he had to decide now he’d be gonski , especially with cholly looking more likely by the week . Thank heavens he’s contracted and we will at least get 20-25 pick

They’re both contracted to next year aren’t they , I reckon plenty of clubs will come for CCJ , if he had to decide now he’d be gonski , especially with cholly looking more likely by the week . Thank heavens he’s contracted and we will at least get 20-25 pick
Bolton Balta and CJ are all contracted until 21 Chol I’m not sure.

But I reckon it’d be smart to extend their contracts prior to chasing any big names.

You don’t want to get to the situation next year where you are struggling to re-sign one or more of them due to cap pressure

Bolton and Balta in particular may be better than anything else up for offer. Always look after your homegrown talent first imo

This year will be weird. Cuts to squad numbers and $. So some teams will cut depth, some might have to lose a good player. Some will cut many and draft some. Some might well be ready to trade in good young depth for one good player (Adelaide).

There'll be some strange things happen this off season I reckon. And we're in the right space to make a few deals.

Good year for teams who want a shortcut to improving their list with mature bodies that fit their needs.

You're right, it's going to be a very interesting off-season.

Agree.

List sizes haven’t been confirmed. Collective bargaining agreement to be renegotiated. Any player re-signing now will sign a contract full of caveats.

There are still so many moving parts. Strategies being worked on no doubt, but will be based on scenarios which need to land.

Off season will be interesting.

Haere Ra

Agree.

List sizes haven’t been confirmed. Collective bargaining agreement to be renegotiated. Any player re-signing now will sign a contract full of caveats.

There are still so many moving parts. Strategies being worked on no doubt, but will be based on scenarios which need to land.

Off season will be interesting.

Haere Ra

It'll be interesting to see if a really good player is shaken free because of all this, and how they can be brought in by another club. This is the year to have some spare $ because of an unexpected retirement. Maybe, possibly, perchance, with luck, we'll see.

I wouldn't be going for a wines/crouch type, CCJ will almost certainly leave in my opinion so we should be looking at packaging up the pick we get for him with our first rounder to get into the top 10 and get our next guy that can carry the midfield for 10 years. Guys like Ross, Collier Dawkins, Dow can be very good players but generally speaking your generational mids come from the top 10.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wouldn't be going for a wines/crouch type, CCJ will almost certainly leave in my opinion so we should be looking at packaging up the pick we get for him with our first rounder to get into the top 10 and get our next guy that can carry the midfield for 10 years. Guys like Ross, Collier Dawkins, Dow can be very good players but generally speaking your generational mids come from the top 10.
I hope you’re wrong re CCJ , he still has 1 year to run on his contract and as we’ve seen with Chol opportunities can open up.

At the moment is suffering from foot stress fracture so it’s unfortunate timing as may very well have got his opportunity

Better disposal than Treloar yes.

Excellent outside mid, but I think we need to look at inside mids to assist/eventually replace Cotch and Prestia.
Yeah, I agree re: inside mid being a need to fill. But Kelly is a gun. And Treloar is a good player with average disposal skills.

Our midfield showed they are not up to it without Edwards and Cotchin, both in their 30s. Prestia, injury riddled...

Graham, Ross, Pickett all can play cameo roles, but other than Shai Bolton, no one has arrived.

We need, simply need, a contested king in that midfield. We need Shane Tuck ❤❤

Ollie Wines, Brad Crouch, we need to be aggressive and go for this. Simply must. What Port did to us, will be exploited by teams this year, Cotch, Prestia and Edwards will return and support, but we need another 1 or 2 midfielders who are instantly gonna win us the pill.

The way we were smashed around the midfield tbis weekend was a red alarm bell right on our head
I'd be happy to chase an A grade mid given the draft pick lottery 2020 will be and our current window, but I'm not sure old on Wines or Crouch, my starting criteria would no older than 26 but ideally younger next season, because we want at least 5 years of top level from them. We might have to chase someone contracted. The Dogs, Demons and Pies seem to have a decent chunk of midfielders in that age group. And then there's always Giants and Gold Coast with u/25 talent.

There's also another player who I reckon would come cheapish and could be a bargain buy and that's Brayden Sier from the Pies. He's a beast and for a second rounder or maybe some pick swap/upgrade for the Pies I reckon he is gettable and he could be of huge value for us.

Just wanted to have a bit of a look at this to see if it is correct.

So I will look at each draft 2005-2015 to see where the best mids are coming from. I will make my criteria that you have to be recognised as being around the level of best 2-3 mids in a top 6 type team for at least about 5 seasons, or look a near certainty to do so in order to make the cut. This way we sort of match your probably loosely applied statement of “generational midfielder." I will split these guys into top 10 picks, later first round picks, and lower round picks.

Top 10 picks: Marc Murphy, Dale Thomas, Scott Pendlebury, Bryce Gibbs, Travis Boak, Joel Selwood, Trent Cotchin, Patrick Dangerfield, Tom Scully, Dustin Martin, Ben Cunnington, David Swallow, Andrew Gaff, Dyson Heppell, Dion Prestia, Stephen Coniglio, Lachie Whitfield, Jake Stringer, Jack Macrae, Ollie Wines, Josh Kelly, Jack Billings, Marcus Bontempelli, Chris Petracca, Angus Brayshaw, Jordan De Goey, Clayton Oliver, Jacob Hopper

Later first round picks(11-20 I will make this): Shaun Higgins, Callan Ward, Steele Sidebottom, Luke Shuey, Nathan Fyfe, Isaac Smith, Patrick Cripps, Isaac Heeney(academy)

Lower round picks: Josh Kennedy(f/s) Jack Steven, Dayne Beams, Dan Hannebery, Rory Sloane, Michael Walters, Mitch Duncan, Luke Parker, Tom Liberatore(f/s) Toby Greene, Tom Mitchell(f/s) Brad Hill, Lachie Neale, Jack Viney(f/s) Zach Merrett, Jack Steele, Touk Miller, Josh Dunkley

Rookie or other draft picks: Michael Barlow, Kane Lambert

So it is roughly a 50-50 split, 28 taken top 10 and 29 thereafter, but when you consider that several of those who were father/sons and academy players would be top 10 now, it could probably be more like a 32 top 10 and 25 non-top 10 split. By the time you get past pick 20 it gets pretty sparse and then once you hit the rookie draft it is virtually crickets.

Then you consider the quality of those taken top 10 versus those outside.

If I picked the top ten top 10 picks it might be Pendlebury, Dangerfield, Martin, Cotchin, Whitfield, Kelly, Bontempelli, Petracca, De Goey, Selwood.

The top 10 from outside the top 10 not including academy or f/s selections: Fyfe, Sidebottom, Higgins, Cripps, Walters, Greene, Neale, Ward, Smith, Hill.

I would say it is fair to say at least slightly the better midfielder are coming from inside the top 10 compared to lower picks. But on average, there are maybe 2 guys per draft taken outside the top 10 who go on to get roughly to the level of best 2-3 mids in a top 6 team for at least 5 years.

Richmond has done exceptionally well from its top 10 picks invested in mids in that time. Cotchin Martin Prestia Conca Vlastuin were probably all attempts to get a gun mid from a top 10 pick. We draft 2 Brownlow Medallists Cotchin, Martin, traded in Premiership year B & F winner Prestia, got a brilliant backman in Vlastuin and fell below expectations but still got an ok player in Conca.

Our non top 10 picks have produced Lambert, Edwards and now Bolton who have been around that level or in Bolton’s case look near certs to get to that level as mids as well.

Would I trade away say picks 15 and 20 to get inside the top 10, probably gets you around pick 9 or 10 to try to get a gun mid in the draft? Probably not, as most of the nailed on gun mids seem to be gone in the top 5 picks. Would I maybe package a useful player, picks 15 and 20 to get to around pick 5 or 6? So trading out Coleman-Jones for pick 20, package that with say Nankervis and our first rounder to get to maybe pick 5 or 6? I might consider that but you would want to be avoiding heavily compromised drafts, which 2020 looks like being.

We are doing really well with our drafting, but I do agree the club should be trying to figure out how to get the next gun mid in the door. Not easy though.

I assume you're talking about Toby... But I'd love (and I'm aware probably no more gettable than Toby) is Tom Green. GWS Academy product, first year on the list, key plank for the Giants next generation = untouchable... but his grandfather is kinda a big deal for our club, so I can always live in hope!

I was referring to Tom

Remove this Banner Ad

Back