To all the pagan doubters ... eg Godsmack.

Remove this Banner Ad

BlueBoy83

Club Legend
Apr 29, 2004
Other Teams
CARLTON
Article in sun by Mike Sheahan, saying how good Pagan has been as a coach at carlton.

For all you non believers out there ... who would u rather coach us??? Danny Frawley, Peter Rhode, Peter Scwabb, Garry Ayres, Dean Laidley??? Who??

Bombers exposed. Pagan proves Roos wrong

PAUL Roos told the Herald Sun two weeks ago coaches simply were resources. Like footballs and goal posts.

He was trying to prove the point he and his kind merely help players extract the maximum for their talent.

His point was obvious, but he was grossly simplistic.

Consider Carlton's progress this season, Denis Pagan's second since taking up the challenge of coaching the wooden spooner of 2002.

Consider the change in the application and output of Brendan Fevola from problem child to leading goalkicker in 2003 (63) and third this year (53).

Consider the rejuvenation of Scott Camporeale, a top 10 player a few years ago who got bogged down by responsibility and taggers.

Carlton's transformation is amazing. Say what you like about wins over bottom teams, the Blues went into 2004 with many of us convinced they would finish at the bottom again.

They now sit in 10th place with six wins from 13 rounds.

Unfortunately, their progress may be interrupted if the AFL Tribunal gets to consider the circumstances that led up to Nathan Brown's removal from Telstra Dome early on Saturday night.

"Pavlova" will end up with egg on his face if video evidence of the incident accurately depicted events.

It would be a major setback for the player and his club after 21 goals in three rounds. Wouldn't do much for his Brownlow hopes, either.

But, that's Tuesday's story. As of now, Carlton's roller-coaster ride is exhilarating for a club that seemed to lose all hope late last year.

Even early this year. Carlton lost to Melbourne by 105 points and to St Kilda by 108 four weeks later, yet has won the past three in a row.

Would Roosy's football or goal post sent Fevola to full-back against St Kilda to teach him a lesson?

No, only a tough, proven coach is brave enough to do that sort of thing.

It's highly unlikely Carlton will make the final eight, but this footy club is regaining its self-esteem, hope and anticipation.

Kouta is back, Nick Stevens, Heath Scotland and David Teague have to be glad they made their moves between seasons, and Campo and Matty Lappin will be enjoying their footy like they did in the late 1990s.

Carlton's improvement is no fluke; it is a reflection of one of the most valuable resources in football: a strong, wise coach.

Originally posted by Jimmae
I don't like how he gives no credit to the players but Pagan would have to be the #1 contributor at the moment... certainly has done something to help the confidence of the boys.

EDIT: Grammar.

my theory is that he is a coach who doesnt pannick ... watching scwabb in the close one last friday night, he was freaking out everytime we got a goal, and seemed nervous throughout the game.

i think that if you have a coach who doesn't pannick in close games u generally perform better as he is able to make calculated moves with a level head. not rash moves. it also gives a sense of belief in ur players.

he's been brilliiant ... i think its fantastic to say theres not a coach out there who i'd prefer to have .... while not every1 agrees with me ... prolly the majority do.

Dont get to far ahead of yourself BB83, agreed that 1/2 way through the season there are reasons to be excited but there are another 9 matches to go

Originally posted by BlueBoy83

Consider the change in the application and output of Brendan Fevola from problem child to leading goalkicker in 2003 (63) and third this year (53).
Yes, FEV certainly needed someone to tell him he was a superstar and the team improvement depends on him. There is no doubt that FEV relishes the glory ...and responsibility

Consider the rejuvenation of Scott Camporeale, a top 10 player a few years ago who got bogged down by responsibility and taggers.
OK I have considered it but so far I have only seen traces (couple of games) where he has performed to the standard expected of him. Rejuvenation of the midfield is another thing, of course there has been and should be with the inclusions of Stevens and Scotland. I guess Pagan can take part of the wrap for this but only because of the BROOM effect at the end of 2003

Carlton's transformation is amazing. Say what you like about wins over bottom teams, the Blues went into 2004 with many of us convinced they would finish at the bottom again.
They now sit in 10th place with six wins from 13 rounds.
Say what I want, OK
- Firstly I am ecstatic about the way the CFC is going but
- take Fev out of the side and we would have had 2 wins for the year....no doubt about it!
- 3 wins over the bottom teams are still wins but it doesnt suggest anything more than that
- The game against St.Kilda was a fairly accurate appraisal of where we are at with our young team (when the pump is on we panic, loose confidence and play reactive football).

Would Roosy's football or goal post sent Fevola to full-back against St Kilda to teach him a lesson?
No, only a tough, proven coach is brave enough to do that sort of thing.
This wasnt a hard call, FEV (and I love him) is still a kid and is prone to self-importance. Any player that shows promise but has an attitude has to be brought to his senses or his career is over and ANY coach at the AFL level would do what ever it takes to achieve this. In this scenario FEV spent 27 mins, closely watching a big body dominate whilst showing humility....this was the lesson, not how hard backmen get it etc. that the press was going on about

It's highly unlikely Carlton will make the final eight, but this footy club is regaining its self-esteem, hope and anticipation.
If FEV gets suspended and we manage to win a game against Sydney or Port, then watch out...anything is possible. We have a talented young team, YOUNG being the operable word. With young comes lack of belief/confidence/responsibility. But we get a win over the next couple of weeks then there is a substantial hook to hang these inadequacies on!

Carlton's improvement is no fluke; it is a reflection of one of the most valuable resources in football: a strong, wise coach.

To be honest I was wrong in my judgment of Pagan at the start of the year. After watching the opening game were he played the PADDACK I felt as if we were living 2003 all over again, but he is a GREAT COACH, demonstrated that he is progressive and open minded (which I doubted in March). I wouldnt swap him for another but there is a long way to go and the difference between this year compared to last year is a team that only has to believe in itself to reach the next level, last year even belief was not going to get them anywhere.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back