Toby Greene makes contact with umpire - Update: Suspension Increased to 6 weeks on Appeal

What will happen to Toby?

• Gone - 4 weeks or more

Votes: 129 24.3%
  • Gone - 1-3 weeks

Votes: 278 52.5%
  • Fine only

Votes: 99 18.7%
  • Innocent - play on.

Votes: 24 4.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

i hate Toby Greene. Worm of a player. But this "umpires are untouchable" belief is also rubbish.

A lot of MRO punishments now are based on what damage was caused to an opponent, hence why Dangerfield got 3 weeks. So what damage did Toby do to Stevic? Id like to hear what Stevic thinks the appropriate punishment should be, or how aggrieved he feels about the contact.

Its not about "damage caused", its the fact that umpires need to be considered sacrosanct on the field so that they can give a (supposedly) unbiased umpiring performance.

Allowing Greene to get away with what he did opens the door to allowing players to start harassing and intimidating umpires when they think they are getting hard done by. You cant allow that to happen.

Dont touch the ump. Its very simple and is taught to players in primary school. You dont have to like their decisions, but you have to respect them.

It is not a trivial act, the context and intentions are blatantly clear. He is arguing with an ump, who is wearing bright fluoro colours and deliberately chooses to bump his shoulder. It's clearly a "fu** off" action of which you would have seen or done plenty of time on a football field - to other players.

You can not let that sh*t stand. The game desperately needs umpires at all levels more than it needs any financial impact from Greene playing in a finals series
It is such a strange encounter it is still impossible on the 100th watching to try to understand what Greene was doing, Stevic was equally nonplussed at the time but by his own clear admission had no issue and didn't find it aggressive, and he is the one that knows 100x better than the rest of us the context. He didn't report then and I get the impression he still wouldn't now.

Interesting that The Age (i.e. CH9) had him hung drawn and quartered days ago.

Whatever you think about it, in the end it is a wretched result for the game - the one bloke most capable of illuminating the final on Friday night won't be there :(

I mean Geelong as a team scored 5 goals last week in 2+hours of footy- we need something to uplift these games!!

i hate Toby Greene. Worm of a player. But this "umpires are untouchable" belief is also rubbish.

A lot of MRO punishments now are based on what damage was caused to an opponent, hence why Dangerfield got 3 weeks. So what damage did Toby do to Stevic? Id like to hear what Stevic thinks the appropriate punishment should be, or how aggrieved he feels about the contact.

A hefty fine in the order of $50,000 would be enough of a deterrent and set a good precedent. Anyway we live in a world where people get their jollies off seing others get cancelled so im not surprised by the sentiment in here. Greene has done far worse in his career particularly those boots to the face in marking contests where he should get rubbed out for months. This umpire brush is a reflection of how soft our society is in 2021.

And this is why we can't have nice things. You call it soft. Try telling that to the next junior umpire who gets abused - verbally or physically - and intimidated out of the game by some f**kwit who thinks "Well if they can get away with it in the AFL then why can't I?"
Guaranteed you're one of the people that b!tches and moans about the quality of umpires in senior ranks.
Take a look in the mirror pal.

A three week suspension is a hefty penalty especially when it will include at least one final and possibly two or three finals.

I thought a heavy fine or a one week suspension would've been sufficient but with the media hysteria over it a multiple week penalty was inevitable.

A hefty fine in the order of $50,000 would be enough of a deterrent and set a good precedent. Anyway we live in a world where people get their jollies off seing others get cancelled so im not surprised by the sentiment in here. Greene has done far worse in his career particularly those boots to the face in marking contests where he should get rubbed out for months. This umpire brush is a reflection of how soft our society is in 2021.

The principal here is that umpires are sacrosanct , they players absolutely respect them and any aggression towards them is fundamentally leading to the destruction of the game.. If this goes unchallenged, this will be magnified and copied at the lower levels and junior football. Which is already got problems getting umpires, without which we don't have a game.

Why place all the pressue on Stevic? Umpiring is hard enough without putting this weight and stress on him. (one games better players missing the final series here is a lot of weight, and popping his head is only likely to be smashed) It's the institution of umpires, and acceptance of the umpiring which is at stake here. What Stevic feels is irrelevant.

It not damage to the opponent here is damage to the game. They should be instinctive avoidance of contact with umpires. Greene did not, He just treated him like a player.

The fact the so many cannot accept that games require rules, that rules require discipline and the push back against it is the real mark of how soft our society is. The Basic refusal to accept the consequences of one's actions.

Last edited:
Reality is 3 games at this stage of the season is like 5 or 6 during the H&A. Greene helped get GWS into finals and now he takes no further part in 2021. Huge penalty for a stupid, stupid act

A three week suspension is a hefty penalty especially when it will include at least one final and possibly two or three finals.

I thought a heavy fine or a one week suspension would've been sufficient but with the media hysteria over it a multiple week penalty was inevitable.

The principal is weeks is weeks regardless of finals. it;s 1 week or 3 weeks or 10 weeks regardless of finals or not.This is the way the tribunal has always in theory worked,.

What's hefty? $25,000? Chicken feed for Toby. What's the biggest financial penalty imposed on a player by the Tribunal?

And this is why we can't have nice things. You call it soft. Try telling that to the next junior umpire who gets abused - verbally or physically - and intimidated out of the game by some f**kwit who thinks "Well if they can get away with it in the AFL then why can't I?"
Guaranteed you're one of the people that b!tches and moans about the quality of umpires in senior ranks.
Take a look in the mirror pal.
Get a grip buddy. Were all allowed our opinions. I would have preferred Greene get a massive fine and see him play in finals. A huge financial penalty is just as effective punishment, but we still would be able to see one of the best players in the league do their thing. I hardly think Stevic is seeing a psychologist because Green brushed his shoulder.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Get a grip buddy. Were all allowed our opinions. I would have preferred Greene get a massive fine and see him play in finals. A huge financial penalty is just as effective punishment, but we still would be able to see one of the best players in the league do their thing. I hardly think Stevic is seeing a psychologist because Green brushed his shoulder.
Not for repeat offender, Toby

Perfect outcome for the media pile-on and"holier than thou" crowd on here.

All this needs now is for the cancel culture warriors to insist that Greene's name not be read out on Brownlow night, and we have the trifecta.

And all you who want to talk about respect for umpires, make yourself a pledge to not abuse one next time your teams gets its pants pulled down by a howler of a decision, that screaming from the crowd is a far bigger negative influence on underage and grass roots umpiring than any of this.

I would have preferred to see Greene play finals too. He's a magnificent player when switched on and he makes their whole club better.

Doesn't change the fact he did a dumb thing and deserved to miss games. It's a shame certainly, but shit happens.

I would have preferred to see Greene play finals too. He's a magnificent player when switched on and he makes their whole club better.

Doesn't change the fact he did a dumb thing and deserved to miss games. It's a shame certainly, but sh*t happens.
deserved a penalty - sure. One that deters him and other players from ever doing the same - sure. But missing the rest of the finals is a joke.

Hard to argue he’s been hard done by, but I am amazed at how often he manages to get off …you’d think with his rap sheet he would be looking at a lengthy suspension for this incident

TOBY'S TRACK RECORD
Total: 22 charges
Suspended: Six times for eight total matches
Total fines: $29,350

2012: Made ineligible for the NAB AFL Rising Star after he was suspended for one match for an ugly bump on Brisbane veteran Jed Adcock.

2012: Fined $1200 for his role in a melee during Greater Western Sydney's clash with Melbourne.

2013: Cops a $1950 fine for making reckless contact with an umpire in a game against Gold Coast.

2014: Walked away with a one-match suspension for striking Adelaide midfielder Richard Douglas, with the offence classified as a level-three sanction.

2014: Fined another $1200 for engaging in a melee, this time against the Western Bulldogs.

2015: Hit with a $1500 fine for spitting in the direction of Richmond midfielder Anthony Miles.

2015: Another $1500 fine for engaging in a melee, this time against Fremantle.

2016: Fined $1000 for misconduct, having pushed Port Adelaide youngster Brendon Ah Chee into a fence.

2017: Hit with a $1000 misconduct fine in pre-season, having given Sam Wright a slap to the face late in the game.

2017: Fined $1000 for striking Port Adelaide midfielder Dan Houston, with the charge graded as low impact to the head.

2017: Hit with a two-match striking suspension after clipping Western Bulldogs midfielder Caleb Daniel with an extremely late spoil attempt.

2017: Forced to serve another two-match suspension after striking Richmond defender Alex Rance to the jaw with a jumper-punch.

2017: Controversially offered a $1500 misconduct fine for his flying kick to the face of Western Bulldogs forward Luke Dahlhaus in a marking contest.

2018: Fined $2500 for misconduct, having appeared to drop his knee into Sydney midfielder Isaac Heeney during an elimination final.

2018: Fined another $2500 for misconduct the very next week during a semi-final against Collingwood, where he was involved in a back-and-forth with midfielder Taylor Adams.

2019: Slapped with a $2000 fine for striking, having handed Melbourne midfielder Clayton Oliver a 'tummy tap' in an off-the-ball incident.

2019: Handed a $7500 fine for serious misconduct, having appeared to make contact with the face and hair of Western Bulldogs star Marcus Bontempelli during a lengthy scuffle.

2019: Suspended for one match after making unnecessary or unreasonable contact to the eye region of Brisbane gun Lachie Neale, forcing him to miss a preliminary final.

2020: Fined $1000 for elbowing Fremantle's Reece Conca to the midriff in an incident that took place some way off the ball.

2021: Handed a $2000 fine for a 'tummy tap' to the midriff of Carlton defender Nic Newman, after striking him in an off-the-ball incident.

2021: Suspended for one game, halved from two, after elbowing Geelong star Patrick Dangerfield to the throat while attempting a fend-off to escape a tackle.

2021: Referred directly to the Tribunal for making intentional contact with umpire Matt Stevic during an elimination final win over the Swans. The penalty is unknown.

Perhaps an odd week here and there may have made him pull his head in earlier... then again

No fan of his but I believe him when he says it was an accident. End of the quarter and he was probably knackered and not paying attention.
So an elite athlete with the reflexes of a wild dog can unerringly see a foot-long spheroid rapidly hurtling through space at him, but can’t see a six foot human in a fluoro shirt right in front of him?

Toby Greene makes contact with umpire - Update: Suspension Increased to 6 weeks on Appeal

Back