Recommitted Toby Nankervis [ Re-Signed until 2023]

Pittonet is proof you can get a quality decent young(ish) ruckman for cheap, from a club that a surplus of ruck stocks.

Richmond are clearly looking for salary cap space/relief if they are looking to off load Nankervis (I don't get why they rate Soldo so highly) and that being the case, a 3rd round draft pick is probably the most realistic and best order they can get..

Personally I think the Tigers should keep him, unless as I say, they want to free up cap space.

I imagine that is the preference to

It's not so much about cap space as we have 3 quality rucks.

Nank, proven AFL ruck. Good but not very good tap ruck, very good around the ground, aggressive, leader = B/B+ AFL ruck. Good age, but at his ceiling.

Soldo, proven AFL ruck. Very good tap ruck, possibly verging on elite when in form. OK around the ground, but not mobile or really skilled. Monster who loves it tough. Young and improving. Currently B/B+, but should continue to improve.

Callum Coleman-Jones. Very young ruck forward. Good ruck and elite mark, very mobile and skilled. Potentially A grade (but hasn't played AFL, so who knows as yet)

You can play 2 rucks in the AFL, but not 3. So we will lose a ruck one way or the other soon - probably this year. There is an opinion that Nank is the one. CCJ is the potential star. Soldo should develop into a really solid 1st ruck. Nank is a really solid AFL ruck, but has less potential.

What do you do? - start a thread on BF to get the best advice and opinion ;)

Ambrosia

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 11, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Soldo, proven AFL ruck. Very good tap ruck, possibly verging on elite when in form. OK around the ground, but not mobile or really skilled. Monster who loves it tough. Young and improving. Currently B/B+, but should continue to improve.

I keep hearing tigers supporters say this. What are you basing it on? From what I’ve seen he is nothing special as a tap ruck and the stats back it up.

This year he averages 19 Hit Outs a game (below average) at 42% win rate (losing more often then he wins), less than 20% of those hit outs are to advantage a game (3.7 a game). For comparison Tom Bellchambers who is a bottom 8 starting ruck in the league averages 28 HO at a 50% win rate with 9 HO to advantage a game

As for the eye test he was ok against Grundy but Casboult torched him around the ground and broke even in the hit outs whilst Ceglar gave him a bath.

Nov 24, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
I keep hearing tigers supporters say this. What are you basing it on? From what I’ve seen he is nothing special as a tap ruck and the stats back it up.

This year he averages 19 Hit Outs a game (below average) at 42% win rate (losing more often then he wins), less than 20% of those hit outs are to advantage a game (3.7 a game). For comparison Tom Bellchambers who is a bottom 8 starting ruck in the league averages 28 HO at a 50% win rate with 9 HO to advantage a game

As for the eye test he was ok against Grundy but Casboult torched him around the ground and broke even in the hit outs whilst Ceglar gave him a bath.
I'm with you. He's tall and doesn't mind getting physical, that's it. Way over rated by a lot of tigers supporters.

eye test. He is a good tap ruck and influences contests through his bulk and willingness to throw it around. I never said he was god reincarnated. He's a tall tap ruck that can take a mark and kick straight, that's it in a nut shell. If you disagree then fine. That he's being played in front of Nankervis says a lot. That's all.

Marcel Proust

"Oohh WADA ooga booga" {Jul 11 2013}
Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
Pittonet is proof you can get a quality decent young(ish) ruckman for cheap, from a club that a surplus of ruck stocks.

Richmond are clearly looking for salary cap space/relief if they are looking to off load Nankervis (I don't get why they rate Soldo so highly) and that being the case, a 3rd round draft pick is probably the most realistic and best order they can get..

Personally I think the Tigers should keep him, unless as I say, they want to free up cap space.

I think the tigers want to keep nank. He would be a very good option to tie up long term.

Soldo is a good prospect and a big man. He bosses Grundy in the last 10 min of the drawn game.

Nov 24, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
eye test. He is a good tap ruck and influences contests through his bulk and willingness to throw it around. I never said he was god reincarnated. He's a tall tap ruck that can take a mark and kick straight, that's it in a nut shell. If you disagree then fine. That he's being played in front of Nankervis says a lot. That's all.
He averages 2 marks a game over his career and he gets hitouts that more often then not either go straight to the ground or direct to an opposition.

Having said that he's been playing footy for like 6 years so I think he's tracking pretty well.

Nov 24, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Agreed. I think the Soldo experiment will be shelved for now.
Has to be. If we didn't select both Soldo and Nank V Marshall and Ryder (before he was a late withdrawal) then I can't see us playing both of them together again this season. Problem is Lynch is a poor backup and is needed forward.

Either Coleman-Jones needs to come in to play KPF/ruck (play Jack hf and leave Dusty in the guts so we can still have 3 smalls) or Balta to chop out in defence and 2nd ruck.

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
He's fairly ordinary.

Only averaged over 25 hitouts a game once in his career. Undersized for a ruck, which means he gives up significant reach at throw ins and around the ground stoppages. So unlikely to really change that number too much.

I'd say he's in the bottom 6-7 starting rucks in the league, for a position where most clubs only play one of them, it would generally mean Richmond would upgrade him if they could.

Can't see too many clubs interested unless as a backup type.

The Tigers did win a flag with him, but they were also 18th for clearances from memory, their game plan was built around turnover so a below average ruckman for hitouts didn't really cost them much.

Jun 18, 2007
Top of the tree
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
#VICBIAS
He's fairly ordinary.

Only averaged over 25 hitouts a game once in his career. Undersized for a ruck, which means he gives up significant reach at throw ins and around the ground stoppages. So unlikely to really change that number too much.

I'd say he's in the bottom 6-7 starting rucks in the league, for a position where most clubs only play one of them, it would generally mean Richmond would upgrade him if they could.

The Tigers did win a flag with him, but they were also 18th for clearances from memory, their game plan was built around turnover so a below average ruckman for hitouts didn't really cost them much.
We've won two flags with him, actually.

He's fairly ordinary.

Hitouts is only one aspect of a rucks game though and hardly demonstrates their true influence on a game.

At his best, he provides above average,

Tackles
Marking
Physicality

Nov 24, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Might find it hard to get back to seniors when fit with Soldo and Chol looking like a great combo. What's he worth, Tigers?
You'll find majority of tigers fans can't wait for him to come back in for Soldo. Hopefully next game if not the one after. Not a great tap ruck but offers a lot more around the ground than Soldo who tries hard and is a warrior but a bit of a witches hat. Not like we take advantage of the hitout dominance anyway (see yesterdays hitouts v clearance numbers).

Agree that its one or the other partnered with Chol. Hopefully Nankervis from here on.

You'll find majority of tigers fans can't wait for him to come back in for Soldo. Hopefully next game if not the one after. Not a great tap ruck but offers a lot more around the ground than Soldo who tries hard and is a warrior but a bit of a witches hat. Not like we take advantage of the hitout dominance anyway (see yesterdays hitouts v clearance numbers).

Agree that its one or the other partnered with Chol. Hopefully Nankervis from here on.

Will he stay at the Tigers?

Id be surprised if he didn't.

There is a worry that crows will nake Coleman-Jones an offer he cant refuse to head home. If that happens we can't afford to lose Soldo or Nank.

With lynch and riewoldt up forward If chop makes a best 22 spot his own (I know it's early to call that) then you would imagine one of nankervis or ccj will look to move to a club that can give them more regular gametime.

Nov 24, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
With lynch and riewoldt up forward If chop makes a best 22 spot his own (I know it's early to call that) then you would imagine one of nankervis or ccj will look to move to a club that can give them more regular gametime.
Ideally CCJ hangs around and takes over from Jack. He is contracted for another year which is good and by then Jack will likely be ready to hang them up if he doesn't this year. Nankervis first ruck with Chol backup and CCJ and Lynch KPFs is a great mix.

I dont see a spot for Soldo going forward.

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
Gave up pick 46 for him and he's about to hit his prime as a ruck I don't think anything less than a pick in the late 20's / early 30s would be considered, or a starting 22 type player.

Can't see him leaving though.

OOC ..its sort of make it difficult to be too recalcitrant .. R2 pick ..probably around the mark. Has he had a contract put to him yet?

Back