Recommitted Todd Goldstein

Remove this Banner Ad

English is the one who should be playing 2nd ruck/forward. His ruckwork is mostly poor, and he's never going to have the physicality or hunger for the contest to be a lead ruckman.
Doesnt need it. His ruck craft is developing and will be good enough that his around the ground work will benefit more than what is lost in physicality. The hunger stuff is way off the mark.
English will be our number 1.

Doesnt need it. His ruck craft is developing and will be good enough that his around the ground work will benefit more than what is lost in physicality. The hunger stuff is way off the mark.
Has it? Around the ground he continues to improve, and can be quite influential at times.

But his ruck craft is just as bad as his 1st/2nd season.

Grundy's ruck craft used to be a huge issue, now it's more inconsistent then bad but, he never struggled to win hitouts, it's the precision that has caused some headaches. English just seems to be incapable of winning the ruck battle against anyone, so why WOULDNT YOU utilise his strengths more by covering his weakness?

Has it? Around the ground he continues to improve, and can be quite influential at times.

But his ruck craft is just as bad as his 1st/2nd season.

Grundy's ruck craft used to be a huge issue, now it's more inconsistent then bad but, he never struggled to win hitouts, it's the precision that has caused some headaches. English just seems to be incapable of winning the ruck battle against anyone, so why WOULDNT YOU utilise his strengths more by covering his weakness?
Absolutely it has. English's biggest strength is as an on baller and around the ground tall. We would be playing to his strengths by playing him predominantly in the middle and rotating forward.

A couple of extra questionably-damaging disposals around the ground doesn't make up for all the lost ruck contests, and they extra heavy lifting the midfielder have to do, because they don't have a proper ruckman protecting them or able to split or win a ruck contest or clearance.

Your wasting your midfielder's primes and shortening their careers with that praying mantis in the ruck. He tries hard, but it's not going to happen if it hasn't already at his age. He's not suddenly going to add the 10-15kg and frothing aggression and hunger for contact he needs at 23 years old.

A couple of extra questionably-damaging disposals around the ground doesn't make up for all the lost ruck contests, and they extra heavy lifting the midfielder have to do, because they don't have a proper ruckman protecting them or able to split or win a ruck contest or clearance.

Your wasting your midfielder's primes and shortening their careers with that praying mantis in the ruck. He tries hard, but it's not going to happen if it hasn't already at his age. He's not suddenly going to add the 10-15kg and frothing aggression and hunger for contact he needs at 23 years old.
You haven't watched a lot of dogs games if you're making the call that his touches are questionable in terms of damage. His intercept marking in the first half of the year was outstanding and his work below his knees obscenely good for a ruckman.

As I've already said, he doesnt need to put on all that weight. Your view of a ruckman is quite limited to a certain type obviously. He actually won the ruck battle comfortably against Goldy earlier in the season.

The whole wasting our midfields prime argument is hyperbolic and nonsical. You've been watching too much rubbish "analysis" on shows like footy classified.
We were second in centre clearance differentials this year, behind only West Coast - Who have another mould breaking ruckman in Nic Nat. Also, most of our midfield aren't even in their prime 26-29 years, where most players play their best footy.

Time to expand that footy mind of yours.

I garentee anyone that Bevo will outright refuse two rucks. Everyone seems to see it but him.
He has played two rucks more than he's played one ruck. 2015-2018 and even pre-season 2019 he played a ruck pairing.

I suspect Goldstein stays and if anything we get a ruck/forward rather than a full time ruck.

You haven't watched a lot of dogs games if you're making the call that his touches are questionable in terms of damage. His intercept marking in the first half of the year was outstanding and his work below his knees obscenely good for a ruckman.

As I've already said, he doesnt need to put on all that weight. Your view of a ruckman is quite limited to a certain type obviously. He actually won the ruck battle comfortably against Goldy earlier in the season.

The whole wasting our midfields prime argument is hyperbolic and nonsical. You've been watching too much rubbish "analysis" on shows like footy classified.
We were second in centre clearance differentials this year, behind only West Coast - Who have another mould breaking ruckman in Nic Nat. Also, most of our midfield aren't even in their prime 26-29 years, where most players play their best footy.

I don't watch or read footy media at all, beyond the four quarters of the games.

Marking is not ruckwork.

I stand by what I said originally.

NicNat isn't "mould-breaking", but rather the ultimate outcome of what a ruckman is supposed to be.

IMO it's inarguably obvious where the Bulldogs weak links are, and the ruck is the main one.

I went back and had a look at the stats of the game in which you claim that English comfortably beat Goldy.
Seriously mate, WTF?
English 15 hitouts, 0 goals, 3 effective kicks
Goldstein 31, 2, 6
The only stat English clearly won was uncontested marks and even then he butchered it.

I went back and had a look at the stats of the game in which you claim that English comfortably beat Goldy.
Seriously mate, WTF?
English 15 hitouts, 0 goals, 3 effective kicks
Goldstein 31, 2, 6
The only stat English clearly won was uncontested marks and even then he butchered it.
Perhaps clearly is a stretch, you've cherry picked a few stats there. From the match report...

Terrific Tim passes Goldy test
The Western Bulldogs have placed their ruck fortunes in Tim English's hands and he continues to show great promise, at least when he isn't facing Brodie Grundy. Saturday night's match-up with red-hot Roo Todd Goldstein was a significant test but English proved he was up to it from the get-go. They've done their damage in different ways this season. Goldstein entered the night leading the AFL with 8.5 clearances per game this year, while English was among the competition's best intercept markers with 3.3. Goldstein kicked a couple of goals – both from the goalsquare – but English arguably took the points, although both had their moments.

Lol.

Comparing two of the best ruckman in the league, who play in the same position is useless? How so?

Your opinion absolutely reeks of an opposition supporter who never watched a single North game this year.
Wow well wouldn't that be 90% of the population of football people.
I mean Im sure there is a lot of grass growing for people to chose instead 😂

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hope Dogs are able to convince him to come over. I think it might be good for Goldy to move on from the club. The club can survive without him and he doesn't have many years left.

Hope Dogs are able to convince him to come over. I think it might be good for Goldy to move on from the club. The club can survive without him and he doesn't have many years left.
Geelong couldn’t even convince him last year to come over to them and they had a 4 year contract on the table. I think he is just one of those players that loves their club and wants to be a one club player

Last edited:
Where is Goldstein at?
He can't stay at North. He's just in the way of development.
Not sure anyone else would want him now.
Forced retirement?
If Jackson leaves then a back up for Gawn? Or the Cats? That is about it. He still is playing decent footy but agree we need to develop the kids.

At a time where people are begging North to trade in some experience, it would seem silly that you wouldn't offer Goldy at least 1 more year and hopefully end his career at North.

Very few ruckmen have performed like he has, for as long as he has. Now that the contract situation with Xerri is sorted, I don't think there's any real need to move him along.

At a time where people are begging North to trade in some experience, it would seem silly that you wouldn't offer Goldy at least 1 more year and hopefully end his career at North.

Very few ruckmen have performed like he has, for as long as he has. Now that the contract situation with Xerri is sorted, I don't think there's any real need to move him along.
Seems INSANE to offer him another year. Hes now a list clogger (not his fault). What was the point of spending pick 20 odd on CCJ and not playing him all season? Its ridiculous. Utterly ridiculous. CCJ is 23yo already.

Nobody is saying you need experience. Everyone is saying you need decent players and decent coaching and maybe a spill at the top.

Xerri is 24yo next year and capable of being number 1.

Seems INSANE to offer him another year. Hes now a list clogger (not his fault). What was the point of spending pick 20 odd on CCJ and not playing him all season? Its ridiculous. Utterly ridiculous. CCJ is 23yo already.

Nobody is saying you need experience. Everyone is saying you need decent players and decent coaching.

Either I don't know what "list clogger" means, or you don't know

Nobody is saying you need experience. Everyone is saying you need decent players and decent coaching and maybe a spill at the top.

How about either CJ or Xerri get good enough to force Goldy out? Right now they aren't.

We have a lot of young midfielders at the moment, I would much rather they had a quality ruckman to work with.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back