Toast Tom Atkins - Premiership Player - 100 games

Remove this Banner Ad

Not winning anything if he is part of our midfield rotations. hard worker but seriously limited player. Similar to Parfitt in that regard

Not winning anything if he is part of our midfield rotations. hard worker but seriously limited player. Similar to Parfitt in that regard

anything? You mean against better sides..finals ..flag etc? Yeh sort of. Its sort of like years ago when Mensch was playing... its more that we do not have someone else better. Its probably a demonstaration of not enough quality in the 24-28 year age group. That age group consists of Bews, Kolo, Atkins, MOC, Narkle , Parfitt... If as Chris Scott says..the draft position is an indicator of talent...then that group is at best "tryers". Mostly defenders.

One thing is I doubt he leaves anything on the table.

Atkins clearly works so hard at his game. His skills and poise have considerably improved — he’s now one of our cleanest with ground balls, and doesn’t get caught nearly as much as he used to. His will and toughness were always there, but he’s something more than an honest battler now.

Atkins clearly works so hard at his game. His skills and poise have considerably improved — he’s now one of our cleanest with ground balls, and doesn’t get caught nearly as much as he used to. His will and toughness were always there, but he’s something more than an honest battler now.

I think the stodgy chip-chip-chippity-chip rubbish we were doing last year stunted his game a bit. Now that we're getting back to handballs through congesting and fast breaks it suits him a lot more. Particularly when we win it in defensive 50, how often is he part of that possession chain either getting one of the handballs, or shepherding for someone, or laying the tackle that caused the turnover in the first place.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Atkins > Max Rooke

Come at me....

Wells good again here. Atkins even Better.

Not every player on every team has an elite skills base or massive tank or pedigree.

Some just play the game, every game, as hard as they possibly can and when its their turn, they just go.. and sometimes they go even when its not heir turn.

Atkins in this game straghtlined the ball several times and turned 1/2 chances into possessions. Critical ones.

Yes he got SDK in the process I think it was, but thats ok - its ball first and not being beaten to it.

Clearly im not endorsing wildly taking out people, but the mindset of its mine doesnt always sit with every player on our list.
He does it a lot and by lifting his defensive work has become an integral part of the 22... and has gone from many a list outside the best 30 to probably less than 1/2 that number.

Full credit to him. Its amazing how giving players time ... that under 100 game number.... can make a difference.

GO Catters

I’ve been an Atkins basher his whole career, never doubted his efforts but couldn’t see a role for him in the side. He has won me over completely this year and last night was probably the best game I’ve seen him play. Was fantastic when the Dogs were pressing hard in the 2nd / 3rd.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back