Tom Boyd retires

Remove this Banner Ad

In case anyone wasn't sure who that 'certain journalist' was, he was calling out Damian Barrett for being the muckraking slimy turd that he is.
maybe these stories and their impact becoming public will make such journalists think twice before smearing people's lives. For some people these articles are water off a duck's back. For others it makes them question who they are which for those susceptible to mental illness can be devastating

maybe these stories and their impact becoming public will make such journalists think twice before smearing people's lives. For some people these articles are water off a duck's back. For others it makes them question who they are which for those susceptible to mental illness can be devastating
If only the morons writing that sort of garbage were capable of self reflection.

Some journos, maybe...

“At the end of 2016 we thought the footy world was Tom’s oyster and we didn’t see the black dog [of depression] creep up on him.
“But since then he’s had some real struggles,” he told reporters as his voice wavered in an emotional press conference.

Beveridge said it was hard for people to understand the physical impact of depression and anxiety.

“It affects your sleep patterns, your diet, your ability to just cope with the small things in life, let alone play AFL football.”

He lashed out at the media for the scrutiny over Boyd’s seven-year contract and $1 million-per-year salary, with a particular reference one journalist, who he chose not to name.

“That will never be forgiven by anyone at our football club. That’s a choice that a certain journalist might make and it’s a window into that person’s soul and how black that soul is.”

Meanwhile, speaking on ABC radio, Western Bulldogs president Peter Gordon praised Boyd as a “talented man” and said “unforgiving” social media had undoubtedly played a role in Boyd’s deteriorating mental health.

“The anonymous trolls who have the freedom from their darkened rooms sending of their acrimony of the whole thing," Gordon said.
“You know not to read it but you know it’s going on.
“They certainly got to me about him. I have taken the critique of Tom pretty personally.”

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...cts-on-boyd-s-retirement-20190517-p51oco.html
Bravo Boyd, Peter,and Bevo.

Journalists would need to have a dash of morality for that to happen, most only care about $$.

Was sad to hear of Boyd's retirement. Was awesome in 216 finals and I'm sure that every Bulldog fan is happy with the trade and the cost.

Can't quite comprehend the people in this thread suggesting that money that isn't getting paid should be included in the bulldogs salary cap over the next two years.

As has already been mentioned a couple of times in this thread, I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often. While the financial rewards are good, the scrutiny and expectations that these kids are put under is unnatural and not for everyone.

Journalists would need to have a dash of morality for that to happen, most only care about $$.
they need to be called out so they understand their actions are not acceptable. However, the format to call them out is usually the media, and they are less likely to do it themselves since that would be highly hypocritical since they most do it to an extent.

But we as footy fans on a forum also need to look at our own behaviour. It's so easy to use social media and forums to pot people, but the consequences are real and need to be considered. Social media is not a licence to abuse people. Unfortunately it is used that way by many

Silly question but is it fair to say by giving up the next two years of 800 grand odd, is there a chance the dogs gave him a 1.3 million up front agreement so both parties are happy? Dogs cap would have room?

Couldn't see anyone letting 2 million go..

Sad news. Hope this is a clean break for Boyd mentally and he moves onto bigger and better things. He's achieved plenty despite his struggles. All the best to him.

But we as footy fans on a forum also need to look at our own behaviour. It's so easy to use social media and forums to pot people, but the consequences are real and need to be considered. Social media is not a licence to abuse people. Unfortunately it is used that way by many

I don't disagree if we're talking about antisocial levels of abuse (rather than just stirring the pot). But sadly its usually a few bad eggs who ruin it for everyone or trigger the race to the bottom. They're also often the people who lack empathy and gain a sense of importance / schadenfreude from observing those consequences. Shame is the best way to deal with them, but that's hard when we're all posting anonymously.

Last edited:

Unfortunately, Barrett is a whole different level of turd. No matter what happens, he only cares about his headline, not the players. Worst journo/person in the football business, as of now. Surpassing McGuire, Robbo, Kennett etc. is no mean feat, but he's 'achieved' it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

“At the end of 2016 we thought the footy world was Tom’s oyster and we didn’t see the black dog [of depression] creep up on him.
“But since then he’s had some real struggles,” he told reporters as his voice wavered in an emotional press conference.

Beveridge said it was hard for people to understand the physical impact of depression and anxiety.

“It affects your sleep patterns, your diet, your ability to just cope with the small things in life, let alone play AFL football.”

He lashed out at the media for the scrutiny over Boyd’s seven-year contract and $1 million-per-year salary, with a particular reference one journalist, who he chose not to name.

“That will never be forgiven by anyone at our football club. That’s a choice that a certain journalist might make and it’s a window into that person’s soul and how black that soul is.”

Meanwhile, speaking on ABC radio, Western Bulldogs president Peter Gordon praised Boyd as a “talented man” and said “unforgiving” social media had undoubtedly played a role in Boyd’s deteriorating mental health.

“The anonymous trolls who have the freedom from their darkened rooms sending of their acrimony of the whole thing," Gordon said.
“You know not to read it but you know it’s going on.
“They certainly got to me about him. I have taken the critique of Tom pretty personally.”

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...cts-on-boyd-s-retirement-20190517-p51oco.html
Poor form from Gordon and Beveridge. They did not need to go there at this time.

Not denying Barrett and people on social media being campaigners.

Silly question but is it fair to say by giving up the next two years of 800 grand odd, is there a chance the dogs gave him a 1.3 million up front agreement so both parties are happy? Dogs cap would have room?

Couldn't see anyone letting 2 million go..

Wasn't his contract front loaded?

I"m sure they gave him a fair clip of the total he could have earned, probably 800k but you get it right now etc.

His salary (even if he doesn't paid it) is still going to be counted in the cap right?

Or is that another one of those Sydney only rules?

Sydney only. The AFL only exists to support the bulldogs, so the continual preferential treatment makes sense.

Everyone hates Sydney the most. Especially the AFL.

Through no fault of his own Tom has had a huge target on his back. He carried that for years as a young man and he suffered for it. This must have been a very hard decision and I hope it becomes a rallying point that enables the tide to turn against keyboard warriors and faceless bullies.

I hope Tom beats his demons, I hope he can one day find his way back to footy.

All the best to Tom.
I will always remember his grand final performance.
Definitely should have been given the Norm Smith. Was a dominant display.
Life is more important than footy.
If retiring from AFL footy is the right thing for him, then it's the right thing.

He's a physically primed monster of a man with his best 'footy' years (body-wise) ahead of him.

In the next year or two, a local league somewhere is gonna be getting a bit of a battering.

A crazy career, but what a cherry on top- playing a massive part in giving multiple generations of Dogs supporters one of the moments of their lives.

Was sad to hear of Boyd's retirement. Was awesome in 216 finals and I'm sure that every Bulldog fan is happy with the trade and the cost.

Can't quite comprehend the people in this thread suggesting that money that isn't getting paid should be included in the bulldogs salary cap over the next two years.

As has already been mentioned a couple of times in this thread, I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often. While the financial rewards are good, the scrutiny and expectations that these kids are put under is unnatural and not for everyone.
what I don't get it why Autrslian football players seem to have mental issues at a much larger rate than American sports players and soccer players who are more well known and even under more scrutiny.

Also you very rarily ever hear of an American sports player wanting to return to them home city/state where as there seems to be heaps over here that do it every year. Or why South American soccer players never return home until the later stages of their careers

what I don't get it why Autrslian football players seem to have mental issues at a much larger rate than American sports players and soccer players who are more well known and even under more scrutiny.

Also you very rarily ever hear of an American sports player wanting to return to them home city/state where as there seems to be heaps over here that do it every year. Or why South American soccer players never return home until the later stages of their careers

With the first part, how do you know that American sports players are under more scrutiny? (Especially) Melbourne players for example are playing/living in a city where the league is run, where the league is easily the biggest in that city, and where a large portion of the clubs in the league are. I'm not sure of any situation like that in America, where most major cities have an NBA team, MLB team and NFL team among others.

With soccer, the money difference in different leagues are massive, and the go-home factor is either cancelled out because of that, or the home where they came from is probably worse than where they play.

With the first part, how do you know that American sports players are under more scrutiny? (Especially) Melbourne players for example are playing/living in a city where the league is run, where the league is easily the biggest in that city, and where a large portion of the clubs in the league are. I'm not sure of any situation like that in America, where most major cities have an NBA team, MLB team and NFL team among others.

With soccer, the money difference in different leagues are massive, and the go-home factor is either cancelled out because of that, or the home where they came from is probably worse than where they play.
What does where the league is run have anything to do with media scrutiny? The NFL headquarters are in NY, so do the New York Jets and Giants come under more scrutiny than say the LA Rams?

You think that in the NFL for example where most contracts are non-guaranteed and players can get traded without even knowing are under less scrutiny/pressure than AFL players who live and play in Melbourne?

Where the big players can't go over seas in the off season to escape the media as they are world famous unlike the Aussie ones?

There is no comparison between the scrutiny of American players and the Australian ones. Yet

Remove this Banner Ad

Back