Tom Boyd

Marc_Remillard

Maderator
Jan 4, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
We've still got tonnes of cap room. I can't see the point of being rational in this thread but Tom's salary is the least of our issues. Finding players who can stay on the park for more than 7 minutes without missing 6 weeks + is of greater concern to us right now.

What's the minimum a club can pay for the cap, 95%?

It doesn't leave that much

NathanMX

Premiership Player
Dec 6, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda

Pannalstaroz

Norm Smith Medallist
May 4, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
So the financials I can totally see, if there were no cap I think even Dogs fans may find the deal appalling but because there is you basically had to front load someone and Tom was it. As I said in another post by the time his deal is up you will know if he is a diamond or dirt and then can either reward him fairly or downgrade his deal then boost the deals of a 25 year old Bontempelli and a 27 year old Stringer significantly :)

Bont and Stringer would already be in the top 10% paid 20/21yo in the league. They're not wanting financially. And, yes, they'll deserve so much more going forward, but they'll get that too. Bont has be re-signed twice already.

What's the minimum a club can pay for the cap, 95%?

It doesn't leave that much
But, and I really don't like talking about other clubs because I don't know them as well $ wise, but we don't have a raft of 30+ yo's on big money. Boyd is playing for not much, Morris a bit more than average, Picken average, Murphy and Minson are the highest. If you want to discuss the vagaries of overpaying the VFL players, there's one.

The Saints would be tighter, they've still got excellent 30+ players, I would assume still earning really good money. Carlisle back is $650, so there's a few taking the cash, I would think, but the Saints supporters would know infinitely more than me.

NathanMX

Premiership Player
Dec 6, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
Makes it difficult to have 'tonnes of room'

Guess it depends who the team is. Reckon if the Hawks had 500k spare they could offer it to someone like a Michael Hurley and he may just take it knowing he could have a flag as soon as next season. Obviously teams going nowhere are not as attractive so be nice if 1 year exemptions could be allowed, be nice to know in 2018 or something when Roo, Fisher and co retire (assuming they do) that we do not automatically have to pay their money elsewhere and could be like $1.9 million in the black for one season which can then be spent the following season instead.

NathanMX

Premiership Player
Dec 6, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
Bont and Stringer would already be in the top 10% paid 20/21yo in the league. They're not wanting financially. And, yes, they'll deserve so much more going forward, but they'll get that too. Bont has be re-signed twice already.

But, and I really don't like talking about other clubs because I don't know them as well $ wise, but we don't have a raft of 30+ yo's on big money. Boyd is playing for not much, Morris a bit more than average, Picken average, Murphy and Minson are the highest. If you want to discuss the vagaries of overpaying the VFL players, there's one.

The Saints would be tighter, they've still got excellent 30+ players, I would assume still earning really good money. Carlisle back is $650, so there's a few taking the cash, I would think, but the Saints supporters would know infinitely more than me.

Reckon both Bontempelli and Stringer have earnt every cent but still deserve more :D Stringer looks like the kind of guy who the Hawks could use so maybe just give him some Greg Inglis money or a boat or something to keep him locked up :p

Pannalstaroz

Norm Smith Medallist
May 4, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Reckon both Bontempelli and Stringer have earnt every cent but still deserve more :D Stringer looks like the kind of guy who the Hawks could use so maybe just give him some Greg Inglis money or a boat or something to keep him locked up :p
Bont will be the next captain, so he'll stay or go to GWS, Stringer is someone who'll want to be paid, so we need to look after him.

NathanMX

Premiership Player
Dec 6, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
Bont will be the next captain, so he'll stay or go to GWS, Stringer is someone who'll want to be paid, so we need to look after him.

or you could send Bont to GWS in exchange for Jeremy Cameron, send Jake to Hawthorn in exchange for Jack Gunston and then tell Tom Boyd to GTFO cause you got JC and JG now baby :p

Dec 5, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Knicks, Giants
I wonder what pressure Boyd would be on if he was still at GWS.
He wouldn't be getting a game for them ATM.
Forget his pay cheque. He is copping his fair share of criticism because he is an under preforming number 1 pick

NathanMX

Premiership Player
Dec 6, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
I wonder what pressure Boyd would be on if he was still at GWS.
He wouldn't be getting a game for them ATM.
Forget his pay cheque. He is copping his fair share of criticism because he is an under preforming number 1 pick

Not much pressure, they can afford to waste a few picks given all they had. With Cameron and Patton up forward and Mumford and Lobb rucking you are right he would be in the NEAFL for sure, so for him the move was almost a godsend, and not just financially.

NathanMX

Premiership Player
Dec 6, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
We've built a forest around the ground and all players touch the holy birch as they walk in. So far it hasn't been successful.

Yeah the way you guys seem to be headed Footscray VFL will be playing with 16 on field soon :p

You guys show a lot of heart, particularly thanks to Bontempelli, Wood, Daniel and the older brigade in Morris and M.Boyd so its a testament to your strength you can still stay competitive :)

The concern about Boyd's contract isn't just the impact on the salary cap.

How his contract is perceived by his team-mates is the bigger issue. If we're to believe the story from the Bulldogs, he's already belted one team-mate due to being pissed at the ribbing he's receiving from the team.

You can't buy respect from your team. Boyd's getting paid big money and I reckon a few in his team would be pissed about it.

Pannalstaroz

Norm Smith Medallist
May 4, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

How his contract is perceived by his team-mates is the bigger issue. If we're to believe the story from the Bulldogs, he's already belted one team-mate due to being pissed at the ribbing he's receiving from the team.

You can't buy respect from your team. Boyd's getting paid big money and I reckon a few in his team would be pissed about it.
It had nothing to do with his salary, it had everything to do with a group of 20yo kids being pissed. My argument is that he is developing, there's bugger all that can be done about that. I'm happy where's he's at, I couldn't care less about the money but if we're getting the same output in 2 years that we're getting now, it will have been a bad decision. But I doubt we will.

As someone wise once said to me, "if you're going to put all your eggs in one basket, make sure it's a big basket."

NathanMX

Premiership Player
Dec 6, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda

Though pretty sure the guy who gets a spot in the team when Boyd is sent back to the VFL would not have too much issue with him ;)

Iamcarlton

Premiership Player
Oct 11, 2015
Up North
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Cubs , Penguins
Jesus. Reading the s**t fights between Saints and Dogs supporters kind of makes me embarrassed to be a Saints supporter.

None of it means dick unless it eventuates in a flag. And we've won 2 between us in a couple hundred years collectively.

Two exciting young up and coming teams, and if the Dogs win a flag in the next year or two it will be a lot more interesting than another Hawks, Cats or Swans flag, so it's alright by me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The s**t fight makes for very entertaining reading though :D

markm106

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 29, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
This is like the Watts stuff over the years. He was a skinny underdeveloped kid thrown to the wolves on QB. We developed him poorly no doubt. However he went through years of criticism and only really this year (his 8th) is he starting to play to a level where criticism has ceased. His criticism came purely because he was the number 1 pick. Not because he was earning loads of cash.
Tom Boyd is also a number one pick but his pressure is due to the 1 million dollar a year contract. Not due to his draft pick. Anyway he at present hasn't come on like you'd expect someone on that money to. However the kid has time and I think the dogs considered this in their plans to get him.
His manager drove a hard bargain though no doubt.

Mar 21, 2008
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
The Mighty Ducks
I believe the magnitude of the contract will hinder his development or at best delay for x amount of time. When the wider football public get behind something like this it certainly has an effect, Even his close mates mention it? Can't really blame him though. If I was offered that much money I would do the same thing.

Anyone writing him off is just ridiculous though as it's way too early to tell. The thing is though, to justify the contract he doesn't just have to become good he must become great. Time will tell.

Pannalstaroz

Norm Smith Medallist
May 4, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
To "justify the contract" he'd have to kick hundreds of goals and win 4 premierships. Unlikely. Franklin will struggle to justify the investment Sydney made in him over his time, not because he isn't holding up his end of the bargain, but because they surely brought him in to win premierships.

I think we can all agree that Tom is unlikely to fulfill his part of the contract, but, as some say repeatedly, at the time he was traded there was more at play than money.

NathanMX

Premiership Player
Dec 6, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
To "justify the contract" he'd have to kick hundreds of goals and win 4 premierships. Unlikely. Franklin will struggle to justify the investment Sydney made in him over his time, not because he isn't holding up his end of the bargain, but because they surely brought him in to win premierships.

I think we can all agree that Tom is unlikely to fulfill his part of the contract, but, as some say repeatedly, at the time he was traded there was more at play than money.

Reckon the many extra members the Swans have gotten since his recruitment has made Franklins contract fairly worthwhile though. Perhaps at the time they were looking to weaken their closest competitor the same way they attempted to weaken Adelaide by taking Kurt but rather then winning flags there may just come a time where they have more members then all Sydney NRL sides combined :)

I mean Lockett did not win the Swans flags either, but he did a lot for the club.

Back