Tom Hawkins 700 goals

Remove this Banner Ad

Insanely consistent and durable forward since his 6th year.

Has managed 18 games at least per season (max 26, typically 24) for 13 straight years (will be 14 after this year). Availability is the most important ability in footballers, particularly spine/key position players, and Geelong have been able to build around his reliability.

He's been the vanilla of forwards across that time, perhaps only 'good' for much of his run rather than dominant, but extending his career into an era where there was a complete lost generation of talls (obviously Boyd, Hogan, McCartin, Patton, and you can add Cameron/Lynch/Wright wasting away on expansion teams and Daniher's injury interruptions0 who should have ripped the mantle of 'best big' and made it their own, his reliability and consistency is astonishing.

Goals per game (retired after 2011, 400+ goals)

L Franklin - 3.1

J Cameron - 2.5
J Kennedy - 2.4
J Riewoldt - 2.3
J Brown - 2.3
T Hawkins - 2.2
T Walker - 2.2

N Riewoldt - 2.1
S Milne - 2.1
M Pavlich - 2.0
T Lynch - 2.0
J Roughead - 2.0
M Lecras - 2.0

J Darling - 1.9
J Gunston - 1.9
J Daniher - 1.9
E Betts - 1.8
S Johnson - 1.8
L Breust - 1.8
T Cloke - 1.8

D Petrie - 1.3
B Harvey - 1.2
A Goodes - 1.2
G Ablett Jr - 1.2

Throw a blanket over the names in blue. All greats of the era and wonderful servants of their clubs. Any club/fan wants a player who averages 2+.
I don't care to try and separate them.

Aside fron Bud, in hindsight is Pav the standout in that group considering he played forward, mid and back over his career, say as opposed to Hawkins who has only ever been a FF?

I don't have Hawkins in the same tier as Riewoldt, Tredrea and Kennedy.
They're both a tier below Brown, N. Riewoldt and Pavlich.
Which are a tier below Richo, Lloyd and Fevola for mine.
He's better than all three.

How many assists and goals created? Seems like someone who's happy to create a goal as much as kick one

Nice work Tom.

Given as many goals away.

Was molested for 10 years with backs hanging off him. So strong was never paid the frees he was entitled to.

Some wallys think he gets soft goals b/c they have seen him give maybe 1/2 dozen push outs in over 300 games.

I'm pretty sure I saw him give 1/2 a dozen push outs yesterday.

An yet doesn't get any of the free-kicks that all the other KPF in the game get on a regular basis

Bullshit he gets plenty his way. Added with the none that get called against him it wouldn’t be unreasonable to say 150 goals should be removed from his tally

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Nice work Tom.

Given as many goals away.

Was molested for 10 years with backs hanging off him. So strong was never paid the frees he was entitled to.

Some wallys think he gets soft goals b/c they have seen him give maybe 1/2 dozen push outs in over 300 games.

He’s had 1/2 a dozen push outs this month

Bullshit he gets plenty his way. Added with the none that get called against him it wouldn’t be unreasonable to say 150 goals should be removed from his tally

There is literally a post in this thread showing, with numerical evidence, that he gets less free kicks than every key forward to kick more than 300 goals of the last 13 years.

I don't have Hawkins in the same tier as Riewoldt, Tredrea and Kennedy.
They're both a tier below Brown, N. Riewoldt and Pavlich.
Which are a tier below Richo, Lloyd and Fevola for mine.

That’s fair.
It took a few seasons before Hawkins got going but since then he is consistent and reliable. I would never call him a great of the game but has been a great clubman for Geelong. Similar class as Neitz was for Melbourne IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aside fron Bud, in hindsight is Pav the standout in that group considering he played forward, mid and back over his career, say as opposed to Hawkins who has only ever been a FF?
Pavlich the more dynamic player
Hawkins couldn't ever play middle
Both great players in their own way

I would never call him a great of the game but has been a great clubman for Geelong. Similar class as Neitz was for Melbourne IMO.

Tom Hawkins:
4x AA (on track to be 5 this year)
1x Coleman
2x premierships (3rd place Norm Smith in one of them)
700+ goals
10x club leading goalkicker

David Neitz:
631 goals
2x AA
1x Coleman
7x club leading goalkicker

Don’t think you’d find many who agree that Neitz was on the same level as Hawkins.

Yes I grant you - Riewoldt is the king of junk-time goals
King of first goals as well

Most Current 'First Goal' Scorers (Data Since 2008 From AFL Tables)​

1. Jack Riewoldt (Rich) - 36 first goals

2. Josh K. Kennedy (WC/Carl) - 29

3. Jarryd Roughead (Haw) - 23

4. Steve Johnson (GWS/Geel) - 21

5. Nick Riewoldt (St K) - 20

6. Lance Franklin (Syd/Haw) - 19

6. Kurt Tippett (Syd/Adel) - 19

8. Eddie Betts (Adel/Carl) - 18

9. Drew Petrie (WC/NM) - 17

9. Travis Cloke (WB/Coll) - 17

11. Tom Hawkins (Geel) - 16

12. Mark LeCras (WC) - 14

12. Lindasy Thomas (NM) - 14

14. Robbie Gray (PA) - 13

People forget how athletic this bloke is. Cleared 2 meters in the high jump in high school and was a freak athlete. Injuries cut him down but he has been able to adjust his game and contribute over 700 goals.

He is Geelongs best KPP since Ablett snr by a fair distance and played a lot of good football as a CHF as well such clean hands and football smarts. Another great father son selection that we where privileged to have.

Loving watching him and Cameron when they are both playing well, the best forward duo by a fair distance.

Not sure if someone has mentioned on this thread, but Hawkins and Riewoldt, both drafted in 2006 have produced incredibly similar careers in certain key statistical areas.

Riewoldt 315 games v Hawkins 314 is remarkable in itself.

Riewoldt 737 goals v Hawkins 701.

Riewoldt 235 goal assists v Hawkins 260

Riewoldt 972 goals + goal assists v Hawkins 961 goals + goal assists.

Riewoldt 437 behinds v Hawkins 391 behinds.

Riewoldt 3796 disposals v Hawkins 3886 disposals.

Riewoldt 61 Brownlow votes v Hawkins 58 Brownlow votes.

Riewoldt 499 contested marks v Hawkins 583 contested marks.

Riewoldt 674 tackles v Hawkins 597 tackles.

In finals it is roughly a similar story overall as well. Both have been tremendous players, but the parallels in their careers are there for all to see.

Last edited:
Not sure if someone has mentioned on this thread, but Hawkins and Riewoldt, both drafted in 2006 have produced incredibly similar careers in certain key statistical areas.

Riewoldt 315 games v Hawkins 314 is remarkable in itself.

Riewoldt 737 goals v Hawkins 701.

Riewoldt 235 goal assists v Hawkins 260

Riewoldt 972 goals + goal assists v Hawkins 961 goals + goal assists.

Riwewoldt 437 behinds v Hawkins 391 behinds.

Riewoldt 3796 disposals v Hawkins 3886 disposals.

Riewoldt 61 Brownlow votes v Hawkins 58 Brownlow votes.

Riewoldt 499 contested marks v Hawkins 583 contested marks.

Riewoldt 674 tackles v Hawkins 597 tackles.

In finals it is roughly a similar story overall as well. Both have been tremendous players, but the parallels in their careers are there for all to see.

The most surprising stat there imo is the accuracy. Jack is a very good shot, Hawk has had patches where he’s been fairly unreliable. I thought he would have a fair few more behinds

Remove this Banner Ad

Back