Player Watch Tom Langdon (Retired 2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

If he has to retire, I will be gutted. absolute champ of a player, deceptively courageous and a big game player most importantly. Very hard to come by.

flip side is yes the cap space.

the likelihood of this occurring so much more likely since he’ll be paid out by the AFL it he retires on account of injury.

Would be terrible for Tom and bad for us. Not irreplaceable so would become a player who could have had a very good career but was cut down. I have loved watching him from day 1 of his career. Will always be a loved Pie for many on this board.

Defenders get by on media hype for the most part, I reckon. The ones who are lucky enough to get in the spotlight have it on them for years, and they are consequentially rated extremely highly, or at least much higher than their positional cohort. I’d put it down massively to it not being as easy to compare defenders by stats like they do mids and forwards, so the ones who are already well known tend to be favoured. For example, Jeremy McGovern has proven in the last two seasons that he hasn’t needed to do much to be named All-Australian. There have been better options both years, but he’s still been named because of his name and reputation.

I’ve always found the media and general portion of fans to be behind the times with who the best defenders are, because it’s all about hype generated in the past.
Geez what an example.... In 2019 Jeremy McGovern finished 1st in total intercept possessions, 3rd in Contested marks (The only defender in the top 20, the next is Nick Haynes at 21) and 6th in Overall Marks. In a team that finished on 15 wins.

His 2018 Campaign was pretty much the same, in the team that won the flag.

He is the best at what he does. What he does... results in opposition teams having to plan for him/around him heavily.

I’d argue that you don’t give him the credit he deserves, rather then him ‘not doing much’.

Im not sure where this media hype train logic for ranking defenders comes from. I don’t think you can argue any recent All Australian defenders only got the selection due to ‘hype’. Rather, there are only 6 spots, so someone is always going to be unlucky to miss.. And people are always going to have differing opinions on what they value higher in a defender, hence the ‘X shouldVe made it over Y’ discussions. But to say its all driven off hype is bollocks... They’re elite players in our competition for a reason, of course sustained high performance results in a better reputation among fans/media. They earnt it.

Last edited:
Would be terrible for Tom and bad for us. Not irreplaceable so would become a player who could have had a very good career but was cut down. I have loved watching him from day 1 of his career. Will always be a loved Pie for many on this board.

Only positive for Tom is if he has to retire based on an AFL-related injury he gets a phat pay out i'm pretty sure, and AFLPA assistance post footy

If he has to retire, I will be gutted. absolute champ of a player, deceptively courageous and a big game player most importantly. Very hard to come by.

flip side is yes the cap space.

the likelihood of this occurring so much more likely since he’ll be paid out by the AFL it he retires on account of injury.

No that was how the old cba worked for players who received a career-ending injury in their last contract year. Like Swan. Whatever Langdon gets we pay and it hits our cap.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Only positive for Tom is if he has to retire based on an AFL-related injury he gets a phat pay out i'm pretty sure, and AFLPA assistance post footy

There is provision for ex gratia payments under the new fund but it likely wouldn’t be much if anything. It is generally for people who are struggling. That won’t be Tom. Take a look at Langdon Ingredients.

Sorry stem cell, look I have no clue how it works. I was just raising the point apparently somehow it’s helping Sam Burgess regrow the cartilage in his shoulder maybe it can help Langdon
Stem cells are the building blocks of life, can regrow anything.

A local bloke here had it done on a bad knee cost him 30k but he reckons his knee is better then ever completely healed it.

"He's still trying to work towards the aspiration of getting back on the park. If his knee doesn't agree with that and if his body doesn't come to the party, it's pretty hard to do," Buckley said.
"He's been out on the track, he's done some runs over the last couple of weeks, but it's been problematic whenever we step up, it's inflamed and hasn't been able to take the next few steps. He's probably in as good a nick as he's been in that time.

"But when you look at the sheer amount of time that's passed, and the fact the cartilage doesn't regenerate, it's a degenerative injury ...
"'Langers' has been very mature about it, he's got a long-term perspective about what the rest of his life looks like as well. As he said last night, it's an option, but it's clearly not one he's prepared to concede at this point."

Doesn't sound very good, but hoping for the best.

PSA: I’m not a doctor. Just nauseated by Collingwood’s ineptitude at preventing and managing injuries.

The rumours re Langdon have been around for at least 6 months. I’m sure I posted it on here months ago.

The club is not to blame for the management of the injury. The club imo though should have picked up the issue prior to signing his new contract. Simple due diligence.

I dare say Sydney probably saw the issue and passed on him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The rumours re Langdon have been around for at least 6 months. I’m sure I posted it on here months ago.

The club is not to blame for the management of the injury. The club imo though should have picked up the issue prior to signing his new contract. Simple due diligence.

Seriously? You think that following the injury interrupted years he had in 2016-17 that the club were ignorant of the issue? Or that the career best form he displayed at the end of 2018 didn't merit an extension? Or that the extension wasn't vindicated by his early 2019 form?

It's a risk v reward decision. Some players manage to play out their careers with these types of injury issues being managed, others don't. A guy who is in the discussion of your 10 best players, is 25 and coming into his prime, is always going to be worth that risk.

Sydney were busting their balls to get him. They may have dodged a bullet with the benefit of hindsight, but Langdon was in peak fitness at the time and fresh off an outstanding finals series.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In a certain sense, no player is irreplaceable though. If you mean we have plenty of players of similar type, yeah, you're probably right. But a few years ago, I thought: oh well, if x player is injured, it just opens up a spot for a similar player (of which we have many) and will build our depth in the long run. I guess I don't think that way anymore. Every loss hurts us in the end.

"You're just a bogan from Drouin." Tom Langdon

Anyone with the swagger to sledge Daisy with such savagery in the infancy of his career deserves better luck with injury.

He seems to polarise (in this thread, anyway) but I think we can all agree that our list is better if it includes a fit and healthy Langdon.

I'm a fan and would love to see him manage his knee in a way that lets him get a few more years of footy and to live a pain-free life once his playing days are over.

I remember being really impressed by Langdons debut season and recall thinking if we were getting that type of output from the No.6 pick in Scharenberg we would be confident we had nailed that selection.

To be honest until Stephenson came along I can't think of someone who influenced more passages of play in their debut season than Langdon.

He's certainly not perfect and as good an overall game he had in the Grand Final his brain fade and inability to concede a point that allowed West Coast their first goal felt like a big moment at the time and one that kick started their belief that day.

Seriously? You think that following the injury interrupted years he had in 2016-17 that the club were ignorant of the issue? Or that the career best form he displayed at the end of 2018 didn't merit an extension? Or that the extension wasn't vindicated by his early 2019 form?

It's a risk v reward decision. Some players manage to play out their careers with these types of injury issues being managed, others don't. A guy who is in the discussion of your 10 best players, is 25 and coming into his prime, is always going to be worth that risk.

An MRI would have picked up the issue. I don’t believe the club were aware of the full extent as initially they thought resting would fix the issue. After that didn’t work he finally went in for surgery.

i would hope before Grundy was given a 7 year deal that we did a thorough medical.

An MRI would have picked up the issue. I don’t believe the club were aware of the full extent as initially they thought resting would fix the issue. After that didn’t work he finally went in for surgery.

i would hope before Grundy was given a 7 year deal that we did a thorough medical.
From what I’ve been told any time you allow oxygen to hit cartilage with a degenerative issue it speeds up the degeneration. It’s not a surprise that surgery was the last resort if that’s true.

Again, you're assuming that he didn't have an MRI or there weren't MRI's on file. A decision to rest rather than go straight in for surgery would be made because there is the potential for rest to remedy the issue, it's the least invasive option, and would be made by the patient in consultation with the medico's but I doubt that any of that occurred without all the imaging being done to inform that discussion. Same back in 2016 - 2017 when this first flared and the rest option actually allowed him to return to playing.

An MRI would detect a meniscal tear, but not tell you how his knee would respond to increased training loads. Individuals have differing physiology.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back