Player Watch Tom Langdon (Retired 2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

We have had injuries but basic skills our defenders don't even have like kicking a bloody footy. Going to the game your heart stops every time Langdon goes near it he is just in slow motion and looks disinterested or very lazy and just always takes the easy option of going sideways or just booting it long and not making it his problem but kicking to a 3 on 1

We have had injuries but basic skills our defenders don't even have like kicking a bloody footy. Going to the game your heart stops every time Langdon goes near it he is just in slow motion and looks disinterested or very lazy and just always takes the easy option of going sideways or just booting it long and not making it his problem but kicking to a 3 on 1
Langdon's 'kick' was absolutely disgusting. Even if it wasn't cut off from the melbourne player, he was intending to kick it it to Cloke. The kick was nowhere near where Cloke was. How league footballers miss their targets is beyond me and Langdon is a repeat offender. We simply have no good users and majority of our list are terrible decision makers. I thought Grundy competed well yesterday, but one incident he had the ball in the 4th quarter after a cracking contested grab. He was undecided and you would have thought kick to the top of the goal square, he elected to give a dinky pass to Oxley (I think it was) basically 5 metres away from him hard up against the boundary. Put the pressure on Oxley and he blazed away into the f50. Its ridiculous!

Players running into goal at about 45-50 out why do they not have a shot? I'd prefer them trying to have a shot and missing rather than trying to pass over the opposition defenders on angles to our forwards running towards goal. Its low percentage if you ask me..... Taylor Adams did it, so did Adam Treloar...... even against Richmond in that last minute.... why didn't Treloar keep running in and slotting the goal? No confidence? Back yourself to be the player to kick the goal..... Too many players trying to be unselfish. Why do you think Alan Didak had so much swagger? Coz he backed himself everytime to kick the goal.

You guys need to realise that one mistake doesn't overcome the rest of the good things Langdon does.
That'd be a fine argument if it was just ONE mistake we were talking about. His decision making and ball use is simply not AFL standard and it hurts us week after week.

That'd be a fine argument if it was just ONE mistake we were talking about. His decision making and ball use is simply not AFL standard and it hurts us week after week.
Not up to AFL standard? Really? Yes, he may make some bad decisions, but as a whole the team is better with him in it. He has a great kick, just needs to learn how to use it more effectively. For a player who has played 44 games I would say he's doing brilliantly.

Anybody else noticed the fact this bloke doesn't push back when we turn the ball over? Defensive effort leaves a lot to be desired once the ball is turned over. Instead of busting your ass to get back and help, he just jogs his way over to the D50. Quite frustrating.

Anybody else noticed the fact this bloke doesn't push back when we turn the ball over? Defensive effort leaves a lot to be desired once the ball is turned over. Instead of busting your ass to get back and help, he just jogs his way over to the D50. Quite frustrating.
It's quite obvious since the Richmond game. You could find atleast 5-6 times on the TV coverage of him just jogging around when we don't have the ball. At the game it's even worse.

Not up to AFL standard? Really? Yes, he may make some bad decisions, but as a whole the team is better with him in it. He has a great kick, just needs to learn how to use it more effectively. For a player who has played 44 games I would say he's doing brilliantly.
has a great kick? really? apart from it's inaccuracy, he kicks high slow balls that always allow the opposition to get to the contest even if he's kicking to a man 15m in the clear.

If you don't mind my intrusion, it looks like he's playing within himself this season. He was bloody exciting in his first when he took the game on. Still playing quite well, but looks restrained. I reckon your whole side will be invigorated by either a change of game plan, or a change of coach.

It's always been an issue, I think it was brought up a few times last year through trade week also. It's a TAC cup issue imo, but thats another conversation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does Treloar remind anyone of Paul Williams? It really does feel 1990's with him in the side and bringing back those memories. Just needs to kick more goals to make the comparison more complete. He also is a penetrating kick, and a better kick than I thought. Paul Williams was a gun player, so it's not a bad comparison, it's just that the memory for the times is ironic.

has a great kick? really? apart from it's inaccuracy, he kicks high slow balls that always allow the opposition to get to the contest even if he's kicking to a man 15m in the clear.
Let's go over this. At the club, Langdon is currently ranked 4th for effective disposals, much higher than supposed better kicks of the ball. He is also bottom three for clangers. Out of all of our players, Langdon's kicking is not a problem. These supposed 'slow balls' don't happen nearly as often as you seem to think, and to be honest you need to stop making hyperboles to justify your argument.

It's a moot point anyway, even if he was playing as bad as you suggest we can't replace him with anyone who could do a better job.

Last edited:
Does Treloar remind anyone of Paul Williams? It really does feel 1990's with him in the side and bringing back those memories. Just needs to kick more goals to make the comparison more complete. He also is a penetrating kick, and a better kick than I thought. Paul Williams was a gun player, so it's not a bad comparison, it's just that the memory for the times is ironic.
Not the worst comparison.

Around the contest, he doesn't run hard defensively that shouldn't impact his numbers at the contest.

Isn't that same with just about everyone in the AFL Side?

Let's go over this. At the club, Langdon is currently ranked 4th for effective disposals, much higher than supposed better kicks of the ball. He is also bottom three for clangers. Out of all of our players, Langdon's kicking is not a problem. These supposed 'slow balls' don't happen nearly as often as you seem to think, and to be honest you need to stop making to justify your argument.

It's a moot point anyway, even if he was playing as bad as you suggest we can't replace him with anyone who could do a better job.

For a start our club shouldn't be used as a bench mark. Secondly he has allot of side ways and backward kicks that pad that out. Whenever he kicks the ball forward they hang too much in the air allowing the defenders to shop it off. Its been happening since day one.

Sydney Willo too. How did we let him go?

The main thing is they both when they get the ball anywhere near half forward they straighten up and go bang. Treloar is always trying to do it and if he doesn't get past he handballs to someone else who goals. You can write it down almost.

Sydney Willo too. How did we let him go?

The main thing is they both when they get the ball anywhere near half forward they straighten up and go bang. Treloar is always trying to do it and if he doesn't get past he handballs to someone else who goals. You can write it down almost.

We did get Clement and Holland for Willo, but another irony is that Willo left because he couldn't stand Bucks, and Bucks was considered a bit of a self-indulgent narcissist, Treloar came to Collingwood because he loved Bucks, but Bucks is now considered one of the good guys, but a s**t coach.

We did get Clement and Holland for Willo, but another irony is that Willo left because he couldn't stand Bucks, and Bucks was considered a bit of a self-indulgent narcissist, Treloar came to Collingwood because he loved Bucks, but Bucks is now considered one of the good guys, but a s**t coach.

"It was all a load of crap and I hope this puts it to rest because people still occasionally ask about it. I left purely because I was stale at Collingwood and needed a fresh challenge. Bucks actually rang me and wished me all the best." - Paul Williams.

For a start our club shouldn't be used as a bench mark. Secondly he has allot of side ways and backward kicks that pad that out. Whenever he kicks the ball forward they hang too much in the air allowing the defenders to shop it off. Its been happening since day one.
I would rather compare him to players he directly affects with his kicking, not saying we are the standard. The high balls are a problem, but is it to the extent that he's not AFL standard? Not in my opinion.

Around the contest, he doesn't run hard defensively that shouldn't impact his numbers at the contest.

Some of the Recent Superstars have the Same Problem(They can be beaten the Other Way):

• Judd
  • Ablett
  • Swan

Awful footballer, I'm always screaming NOT *EN LANGDON, I really find no joy with him in the team ATM, he has played a really good first 10 games, however since he has been horrible. Its a bit a amusing that a player can have such a divided fan opinion. One group will probably find out shortly where he's at, the other may enjoy the fruits of their opinions for years to come. Personally if it looks and smells like s**t, its most likely s**t, I'm pleading with selection committee please * him off, then pleading to list management please * him off.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back