Past Tom Mitchell - AFL MVP, Dual AA Rover, B&F Winner, 2018 Brownlow Medallist - traded for pick 14 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

Mitchell could well be a big win for Hawthorn. From memory, he spent the 4th most time at stoppages behind JPK, parks and kizza, maybe even hanners. But he still racked up plenty of the ball. Getting him into the middle more often should technically mean more ball.

In saying that. I don't really rate what he does with it all that much. Although he's improving in that respect. Who knows.

I'd rather back Heeney in, he'll s**t on anything Mitchell ever did.

Mitchell never experienced any defensive pressure... he will as hawks number 2 mid.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Mitchell never experienced any defensive pressure... he will as hawks number 2 mid.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I think he'll be number 1 given the Hawks have offloaded their two best contested ball winners. JOM would be number 1 but has missed so much football will take some time to get going. Big challenge for Mitchell stepping up from number 4/5 mid to number 1.

He is a smallish (83 kilo) inside mid. The necessary trend now is to go with big inside midfielders. He will have everyone hitting him in the middle. Good luck little Tommy. We knew what we were doing when we let him go. He is simply too small to carry that load for the scum week in week out.

So no mitchell and Lewis will make Tom mitchell more accountable now

Absolutely. O'Meara (provided they get him) won't play from round 1 either, so it's all on his shoulders..... I wonder if he's having 2nd thoughts.

IMO Mitchell's on a hiding to nowhere at the Hawks.

The Hawks have seriously done itself in with that deal with St Kilda, negligible value this year and destruction of their future draft position.

G'day guys, sorry to bring this up if you're all over talking about him.

Just wondering if you could help me understand what the deal was with all the rumours about Longmire not really liking/rating Mitchell?

Was it something with the way he plays? A one way player or something like that?

Just wondering if you could help me understand what the deal was with all the rumours about Longmire not really liking/rating Mitchell?

Was it something with the way he plays? A one way player or something like that?
Sounds like he's never really got on with Horse, but we're all just going off rumours.

His defensive game was always brought up as the reason he wasn't cracking into seniors. That was going two seasons back though so it's old news. He addressed it and secured a regular spot in the end. A few comments he made makes me think he resented it a lot at the time.

For all those who are bagging Mitchell and stating his relationship with horse was so bad etc, etc, etc, I ask the following question>
Please put your hands up if you would refuse a transfer of jobs if someone offered you an extra $100K a year?
I look forward to seeing how many liars are here.

For all those who are bagging Mitchell and stating his relationship with horse was so bad etc, etc, etc, I ask the following question>
Please put your hands up if you would refuse a transfer of jobs if someone offered you an extra $100K a year?

I moved to Singapore for an extra $30k,

Thats the wrong question to be asking though. $100k sounds like alot to me because i dont earn that much in a year, but its got to be relative to what he was earning/offered at sydney ~$400k. So what yo should have asked is would you change jobs for approximately an extra 1/4 pay rise on your current pay? Put into perspective im not sure i would. Yes its a great pay rise but im very happy and comfortable where i am. Not sure its enough to uproot my whole life and move interstate for.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thats the wrong question to be asking though. $100k sounds like alot to me because i dont earn that much in a year, but its got to be relative to what he was earning/offered at sydney ~$400k. So what yo should have asked is would you change jobs for approximately an extra 1/4 pay rise on your current pay? Put into perspective im not sure i would. Yes its a great pay rise but im very happy and comfortable where i am. Not sure its enough to uproot my whole life and move interstate for.

Football careers are short. $100K is monumental. That extra money, per year, is money that can go towards life after footy. It's money that can go towards paying off uni degrees, buying investment properties, starting businesses, buying shares. It's security in a broader job market that is anything but secure.

If you wouldn't take that extra money in Tom Mitchell's situation, then you're absolutely insane. Or you're already rich enough that you don't have to worry about money in the future.

Football careers are short. $100K is monumental. That extra money, per year, is money that can go towards life after footy. It's money that can go towards paying off uni degrees, buying investment properties, starting businesses, buying shares. It's security in a broader job market that is anything but secure.

If you wouldn't take that extra money in Tom Mitchell's situation, then you're absolutely insane. Or you're already rich enough that you don't have to worry about money in the future.
I think it's fairly sad that you're probably right for most footy players. These days the numbers are large and persuasive. If you're a fringe player your career could only last 2-5 years, then you're out in the work force with five years less experience than your peers.

Personally if I was in that situation I'd take unders to stay with Sydney, and I'd want to play my whole career with the Swans. Firstly, because money isn't everything to me. Secondly because when you're a kid you love your footy club and the concept of playing football purely as a job is foreign. Unfortunately that romance seems to wear off pretty quickly once the dollar signs light up and there'd only be a minority of players who wouldn't take the money.

Reading through the board glad we ditched that cancer Mitchell

LOL, he can really play, and as my fellow mod has repeatedly pointed out, apart from Kennedy we lack reliable clearance winners without Mitchell in the team.

But for whatever reason we couldn't find the money to pay him to stay and he didn't want to take a pay cut to stay, so evidently he didn't want to be part of our system. So we have to move on.

But for whatever reason we couldn't find the money to pay him to stay and he didn't want to take a pay cut to stay

I would love to know the paycut he would of had to make, as I really rate him and want to know what the Swans valued him at.

So we have to move on.

Jep, time to move on

LOL, he can really play, and as my fellow mod has repeatedly pointed out, apart from Kennedy we lack reliable clearance winners without Mitchell in the team.

But for whatever reason we couldn't find the money to pay him to stay and he didn't want to take a pay cut to stay, so evidently he didn't want to be part of our system. So we have to move on.

Yep we do, but trust me he will win a few best and fairests and have a great career

Having said that I get all the reasoning

Just interested in what we do with a few things

Gah. Thought this stupid thread was closed. Unfollowing.

Sorry about that, re-opened it as people will probably continue bringing it up over the off season as he was a divisive player. It will probably die off on its own.

Will have a word and get it relocked

LOL you don't have as much sway with the mod group as you think, back in your box :p

Based on Tom harleys comments I'd suggest we fell a fair bit short of the other offers out there. You'd think it would be in the vicinity of 100k difference, with other teams probably offering slightly more but without the other incentives.

He said something along the lines of we offered what we thought was commensurate with being our 4th best mid. Which suggests we offered less than what his true value is while other teams were willing to offer more than his true value, inflating his market value.

He performed well in the gf but I can't help but think his deficiencies are obvious.

He can get the ball, but is not particularly damaging with it. He's often on his hands and knees in the middle of a pack shovelling the ball out so will be left in the dust when the ball becomes active. Has short arms and often missed tackles. He's slow, so won't be running players down on defence.

With the speed of the game ramping up, his deficiencies will only become even more obvious over time.

He does have a fair amount of strengths.

Look the reality is he's gone. We all need to move on. Hopefully we can unearth a player that's 3 fold of what Mitchell was. And to tbh I wouldn't put it past us to do just that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back