Analysis Tom Mitchell

Remove this Banner Ad

He's easily the biggest positive this season. All the uproar about his foot-skills earlier in the thread looks very silly right now, he's still played very few senior games and lots of layers skills improve over time (some don't, some of our other players are proof of that). You'll notice a lot less blind spinning turns and throwing it on the boot lately, in the last few weeks he's the one who has actually been doing some nice passes into the 50 from time to time.
Make no mistake his kicking still needs work but it's improving noticeably...in fact I feel more comfortable with Mitchell's kicking than any of out other inside (and some outside) mids at the moment, has a very, very good football brain which can't be under-estimated, can make good decisions (even if he doesn't execute all the time).

Hope to see him re-sign very soon..the worry is he is on very decent money currently and given how tight our cap is, someone will no doubt offer him more than us. If we were to lose someone like him due to the Buddy deal on top of Mummy, Malceski than the cost is really starting to out-way the reward, as much as I love watching Buddy play.

Stiffed big time yesterday; who knows what the coaching staff are thinking at times, if they're deliberately handicapping the team, or they think that Mitchell has some performance issues.

Looking from the outside in, changes need to be made to the coaching staff if the same s**t continues, where arguably our best ball winner is a sub.

I'd have the midfielders as follows this week:

Mitchell and Kennedy start in the middle as pure inside midfielders to tackle and win clearances, Parker starts deep forward, McVeigh at HB, Jack (as in his personal thread) starting man to man with Dangerfield to give him the biggest of challenges, Hannebery coming in off a wing.

Mitchell and Kennedy start in the middle as pure inside midfielders to tackle and win clearances, Parker starts deep forward, McVeigh at HB, Jack (as in his personal thread) starting man to man with Dangerfield to give him the biggest of challenges, Hannebery coming in off a wing.

So what you're suggesting here is that we play our players to their strengths while also addressing our weaknesses as a team?

Sounds utterly insane.

Can you please take over as coach? souns good to me

I am a big Tom Mitchell fan so i throw that disclaimer there, I think the kid could be elite in the Sam Mitchell mode, just a natural player, has weak areas yeh, but he is ball winner

Him being starting sub given current form in not only winning the ball, but also developing a tagging ability was worse than Mark Seaby starting sub.

Terrible coaching move handed a massive advantage to the Eagles

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Could it have been a case of load management?

Seemed a strange selection for the sub vest.

dunno, but he outplayed most of his team mates pretty quickly when he came on

dunno, but he outplayed most of his team mates pretty quickly when he came on

I understand that they wanted him to improve some defensive aspects early on, but the penny seemed to have dropped from what I've been watching.

Benefits of having a great midfield I guess. You guys are going to be playing some pretty good players in the reserves over the next few years.

I understand that they wanted him to improve some defensive aspects early on, but the penny seemed to have dropped from what I've been watching.

Benefits of having a great midfield I guess. You guys are going to be playing some pretty good players in the reserves over the next few years.

he has been tagging well imo

Dont know about the reserves going forward, maybe a lot of midfielders who cant kick i guess

he has been tagging well imo

Dont know about the reserves going forward, maybe a lot of midfielders who cant kick i guess

You've been bringing in some top end kids to your midfield, with a couple more at the end of this year.

I'm sure you'll need to balance the list over the coming years, and play a few of them in the reserves fro a while.

You've been bringing in some top end kids to your midfield, with a couple more at the end of this year.

I'm sure you'll need to balance the list over the coming years, and play a few of them in the reserves fro a while.

How about you give us Hogan and Petraccaa and you can have a couple of them :p

Sorry to intrude but do you guys reckon Mitchell will be a sub risk consistently for the rest of the season?

Sorry to intrude but do you guys reckon Mitchell will be a sub risk consistently for the rest of the season?

Unlikely. However if you can pick Longmire you are better than all of us. It was more than likely a workload thing last week (well I hope)

If Tom being the sub was anything other than giving him a bit of a rest, then Horse is an idiot. Tom should be and most likely will be starting for the rest of the season.

If Tom being the sub was anything other than giving him a bit of a rest, then Horse is an idiot. Tom should be and most likely will be starting for the rest of the season.

I just didn't get it. If they wanted to give him a rest (and I wouldn't have agreed with it), give someone else a chance to be sub i.e. Hiscox, Towers, etc and leave Tom in Sydney to rest.

I just didn't get it. If they wanted to give him a rest (and I wouldn't have agreed with it), give someone else a chance to be sub i.e. Hiscox, Towers, etc and leave Tom in Sydney to rest.

That's what I think as well.

If he needs a rest, then give him a proper rest.

What if someone gets injured early? Then Mitchell has to play a full game and you probably need to rest him the following week.

Who have you guys used this year in the sub role? ie/ have you been swapping it around, is it usually first year players, do you tend to use the same few players?

Perhaps it was just a rotation policy, because none of the players want the vest?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back