MRP / Trib. Tom Stewart - Result 4 week match suspension

Remove this Banner Ad

Geelong fans should be fighting for the Red card rule.

You reckon next time around the Tigers won't be up and about ? Geelong choosing to play this card in Round 15 is bewildering. I would have done this in the finals, great move for a finals match, great intensity, but Round 15?

If tigers and cats meet in the finals, there's no way the Tigers aren't sending some of those 35 year olds to their rightly place in the retirement home
It's 2022 mate, not 1972, when they only had one umpire and one camera. The days of square ups are over, won't happen.

You reckon next time around the Tigers won't be up and about ? Geelong choosing to play this card in Round 15 is bewildering. I would have done this in the finals, great move for a finals match, great intensity, but Round 15?

If tigers and cats meet in the finals, there's no way the Tigers aren't sending some of those 35 year olds to their rightly place in the retirement home
You gonna go to Tom's house and give him the old left-right-goodnight are ya?

Severe is bonkers

I've seen much more force applied in similar situations

Given it's contact with the head and the issues we've seen with concussion, I don't mind them having a low threshold of what they deem severe impact (i.e. grading the Stewart impact and anything with more force 'severe').

Grading it severe impact means it gets referred to the tribunal where they can make the distinction.

It was explained to me once that its how deliberately running a red light and having a car accident is not intentionally causing an accident.

It used to be called "driving without due care" (ie careless) or more seriously "dangerous driving".

In this case, they'd argue that Stewart did not intentionally look to hit Prestia in the head.

Bullsh1t isn't it?

Yep. 'I intended to bump and make contact. I did not intend to get him in the head'. Laughable defence ro classify it careless.

1/ Good. I hope both you lot snot each other silly at the pointy end. It's two less clubs to worry about

2/ But seriously, this isn't a biker war, just a hard, late and punishable hit in a football game

3/ Extra seriously... awesome melt. Made me smile

He chose to bump, but did Stewart intentionally try to hurt Prestia? It's going to be difficult to prove it to be intentional...
He intentionally bumped.
He admitted that.

No one in the history of intentional gradings would ever say they intended to hurt their opponent....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Lycette got four for that then Stewart has to get four as a minimum.
Agree and this is what shits me about the AFL, a tackle even if poorly executed is at least a defensive play at the ball, either to win the ball back, or force an error or halve the contest for your team. You are only making that action because the player you are tackling has the ball as your focus.

A bump running past the ball when the ball is never the focus is purely a play on the man. The ball is gone, it's intended to hit the opposition.

It's worth more than any tackle if the AFL applied common sense.

A lot of 'late hit' comments.

Prestia punches the ball away while Stewart is on his right foot.

Takes one step, travelling at speed, before impact. Cops Prestia while on his left foot. Literally one step later. We've all seen the slow motion replay, but in real time it wasn't even a split second between ball being knocked away and point of impact.

Huge hit, will miss weeks, but it's a long way from 'ran past the ball to line him up.'

Certainly got nothing on Alex Rance punching a prone Jack Watts in the back of the head or Bachar Houli (best on in the the 2017 grand final) taking Jed Lamb's head off.

There's big hits in football, and then there's dog shots. Let's not confuse the two.
Haha he actually takes 2 steps. Don't act like contact was accidental. It was intentional 100%. Chooses to bump, gets him high. Didn't even try go low, extremely careless. Should get 4weeks. Simple as that.
Screenshot_20220627-095224_Samsung Internet.jpg

High puts it at 2 weeks. There is no way the AFL were going to allow him to get away with 2 for that.

The AFL would be working out the penalty and trying to fit the gradings to that. Intentional could be argued down at the tribunal to careless, much harder to argue that it wasn't severe.
Probably the most rational, truest thing posted on this thread. :thumbsu:

It's 2022 mate, not 1972, when they only had one umpire and one camera. The days of square ups are over, won't happen.
It would have happened during the game at least. There was not one remonstration, at any time. Supporters shouldn't project their feelings on the players.

Haha he actually takes 2 steps. Don't act like contact was accidental. It was intentional 100%. Chooses to bump, gets him high. Didn't even try go low, extremely careless. Should get 4weeks. Simple as that.
View attachment 1434136

He also never once looked at the footy.

The problem I have with this, is this was such a low % option for Stewart, he knew Prestia was going to be in probably the most vulnerable position you can be on the field, coming down from a jump with no ability to brace for contact, even if he didn't hit the head, the chance to cause serious injury was high, whether that be broken ribs or as we all saw last year, hit in the right place you can lacerate a kidney (btw not saying there was any fault on Mitch Robinson with the collision with Dusty just showing the opportunity to cause a serious injury was high).

It was a dumb hit and should be dealt with as such. Its almost as sickening hearing the love in for Tom Stewart since the incident as it was seeing Dion prone on the footy field. I'm sure Tom is a wonderful bloke off the field, so is Tom Lynch by all accounts but white line fever hits every player at times. All this talk about Poor Tom Stewarts hurt feelings will probably swing towards his mental health at some point (as the AFL community seems to swing that way with everything these days, denigrating actual mental health issues by doing that) yet ignoring the physical health impacts that Dion may have from this hit.

The grading reflects the fact people are in shock as to the perpetrator

Does anyone think this is "in character" for Tom Stewart?

Not at all, but the reality is - the act was a poor one, it was deliberate and should be punished as so.

I genuinely can't remember a bump that late in ages.

He intentionally bumped.
He admitted that.

No one in the history of intentional gradings would ever say they intended to hurt their opponent....
Yes he intentionally bumped Prestia. A bump is a legal action. Due to the careless nature in which he executed that intentional bump, he got Prestia high with a severe impact.

Hence the classification that he got. The fact that he intentionally laid a bump, does not make it intentional rough conduct.

Last edited:
Hopefully the umps join him on the sidelines for not stopping the game.
I don't know why clubs don't bring the stretcher out in those situations. That immediately stops the game

Remove this Banner Ad

Back