Mega Thread Tommy Mitchell - All Contract Talk in here

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
From memory we have to drop some $600k off our cap. That would be reason alone for us to let him go. The VFL deliberately removed the COLA with very little notice knowing we wouldn't have the time up our sleeve to allow for strategic list management and it would cost us players.
Our cap reduces by $600k next season but that's been scheduled for some years now so it's not a case of us needing to shed players to fit in the new cap. Previous contracts would have taken the new cap in to account.

How to save $600K. Teddy to retire, Derickx gone, possibly McGlynn (not sure on his contract status) and maybe Nankervis as speculated...done easy!

Towers :p

As much as a lot of people on here wouldn't mind that, he is stepping up a bit more and I wouldn't be surprised if they re-sign him for at least another season. His pace has been very impressive, his ball getting and hardness has improved...his decision making has not but you can fix that.

They probably help build a stable membership and therefore cash base to just throw cash around now and be a bunch of brown and gold pricks
Give it a few years of them cruising in the bottom half of the 8 and see how many of the 70,000 members remain. There's a reason the 40 year old smug campaigners walk around with membership scarves with a 3 year member badge sewn into them. Meanwhile I'll embrace my photo pointing to the spot on the wall with my name under the 20 year member heading.

Yeah, but that assumes he has a better offer on the table, which I don't believe he does. It's possible, sure, but I still reckon this has Ryan O'Keefe 2008 written all over it. He'll stay, and win a B&F and Norm Smith. ;)
It might not even be Whorethorn or Carlton. Any of the other Vic clubs would love to have him and lots of them have the cash to splurge.

As much as a lot of people on here wouldn't mind that, he is stepping up a bit more and I wouldn't be surprised if they re-sign him for at least another season. His pace has been very impressive, his ball getting and hardness has improved...his decision making has not but you can fix that.
His decision making and disposal has always been crap and we haven't fixed it yet. He won't change. Move him on.

Can you though? I'm not sure I've ever seen a player as indecisive/unconfident in trusting his instincts on the field as Dean Towers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How does Mitchell compare to Isaac Smith value wise?

Looking at the way our kids are coming along, the only thing I think we're really missing is an outside mid.

Obviously doubtful the Hawks would give him up, particularly with Hill moving on but, fair swap?

Maybe Tom was about to sign then did a quick google search and got to this thread, then went and cried and put talks on hold
I personally love Tom.

I've heard a lot of Carlton and Hawks fans slag him off though

There was a small amount of talk on bf of a hill for mitchell trade...not sure there is much truth to it but id be keen.

mitchell of coarse is the better player but hill fills a huge need for us

Rather than speculating and in consideration of contract negotiations being deferred, wouldn't it be wise to close this thread until the end of season?

Rather than speculating and in consideration of contract negotiations being deferred, wouldn't it be wise to close this thread until the end of season?
Why should it be closed?
You can always choose not to read the thread Mick.
I respect that your are more than entitled to have your opinion and perspective on the topic, but its a public forum, there will always be rumour, speculation and opinion that you may not agree with.
There is a great thing called freedom of choice, it means you have the choice to read what and what you do not want to read.
I just don't agree that others should be stopped from having a conversation or speculating on a topic because 'talks have been put off to the end of the year'.

Mick,

Unlike the Talia thread where there was really no point in speculating about an ongoing police investigation on a footy board, Tom Mitchell's future at the Swans is a major talking point. We can try to keep this thread factual but it won't be possible to stop people speculating entirely. Just ignore the posts you don't want to engage with.

There was a small amount of talk on bf of a hill for mitchell trade...not sure there is much truth to it but id be keen.

mitchell of coarse is the better player but hill fills a huge need for us
Hill wants to go 'home' to Freo, so if Mitchell wants to get to Hawks perhaps its could possible involve a 3-way deal. If so, personally I'd want picks. With the exception of Fyfe neither Freo or Hawks have anyone that I think we desperately want.

Hill wants to go 'home' to Freo, so if Mitchell wants to get to Hawks perhaps its could possible involve a 3-way deal. If so, personally I'd want picks. With the exception of Fyfe neither Freo or Hawks have anyone that I think we desperately want.
And the ones we would want are non-negotiable:p
Suspect GWS & Hawks eyeing off Freo's top pick. In this case the Hawks would have to win surely for this trade to go through.

Given how young our whole squad is at the moment, and how good and deep our midfield remains with Heeney Hewett and Mills yet to move into it, I'd honestly be reasonably content to get a first rounder for Mitchell, ideally more, a first and a second or third rounder would really sweeten the pot. I hope we keep him, because there are few players in the competition able to consistently lay as many tackles around the contest and fewer who can use the ball as well by hand. I'd just think we are better able to get what we want from the draft than from a trade, given our list profile. We could potentially set ourselves for years to come.

I think it is worth keeping open if he is really going to a job interview with the coach of that days opposition. Extremely unprofessional if it is true. Apologies to Tom if it is not

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back