Aboriginal & TSI Top Victorian indigenous football players not to make AFL/VFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Playing footy in the Ballarat area in the 70's and 80's, I always felt that was one of the great wasted nataural talents not to the most of make his of his chances and make his at VFL level, was Eric Clarke.

He only played the 1980 season at the Saints, for 6 senior games ... a very small return for a prodigious junior talent.

Why he didnt make it, I am not sure. Maybe he couldn't adjust to living in the city.

Does anyway else remember him and perhaps could shed some light on why he never played more games?

Not sure I've heard of him but I will ask around..

Not sure I've heard of him but I will ask around..

Thanks for that. He orginally played for North Ballarat when it was in the old Ballarat F.L.

I am not sure what happened to him after he left the Saints, but he may have ended out Creswick way as that was where his family was from IIRC.

Winnis is PNG I think, and also not sure but I think Warrior was from SA?? Anyone confirm??

I am originally from Portland so I got to see Winnis and his brother James playing a variety of sports. Winnis was a freak at any sport he played. I remember a game of cricket in U15s when a kid on my team was giving him crap all day. The kid comes out to bat, winnis comes on to bowl and hits him square in the nuts, smashed his box into multiple bits.. He was a pretty slippery bowler and handy batsmen.

I am originally from Portland so I got to see Winnis and his brother James playing a variety of sports. Winnis was a freak at any sport he played. I remember a game of cricket in U15s when a kid on my team was giving him crap all day. The kid comes out to bat, winnis comes on to bowl and hits him square in the nuts, smashed his box into multiple bits.. He was a pretty slippery bowler and handy batsmen.

And YES he is a PNG boy.

Thanks for that. He orginally played for North Ballarat when it was in the old Ballarat F.L.

I am not sure what happened to him after he left the Saints, but he may have ended out Creswick way as that was where his family was from IIRC.

" Best centre half foward or backman, up (there) with Robbie Muir but a different footballer, kick both feet.." Gary Murray

Also a member of the North Ballarat best 22 team from 1952-1995 BFL era.

the thing is,indigenous footballers are referred to as footballers if they're from Victoria

you rarely hear franklin referred to as an "aboriginal" star, he's just a star

sure, there is aboriginals who haven't made it, but it's no different to a white guy missing out, if you ain't good enough, you ain't good enough

(Log in to remove this ad.)

http://www.gippslandlake.com.au/gip...emembering-the-spirit-of-a-lake-tyers-legend/

Ron Edwards must've been pretty handy for a bush player with bags of 43 & 26 goals. My old man was full forward for a team that played against Lake Tyers, we're also Edwards but white. Dad said that Ron would call him the white sheep of the family, and good naturedly stir him about getting the talent in the family.
Never even knew there was a ground up there, let alone a footy club. Where was the ground - near the primary school?

the thing is,indigenous footballers are referred to as footballers if they're from Victoria

you rarely hear franklin referred to as an "aboriginal" star, he's just a star

sure, there is aboriginals who haven't made it, but it's no different to a white guy missing out, if you ain't good enough, you ain't good enough

Your missing the point mate, it's not in relation to just aboriginals not being drafted..
I only wanted some old background stories on the lesser known indigenous players that may have made it. Sure there were guys with skill oozing out of them but were lazy or uncommitted and didn't make it, and that was their choice, who cares that they didn't make it really? But there are also good stories out there about absolute guns who had other committments, or had horrific injuries at 18 or who even died at a young age..
There is no talk of ' he shoulda played here but he was black or he coulda played there but he was an alco'...
I'm just a proud Victorian aboriginal who wants to hear some of those stories from the past that aren't told so much..

" Best centre half foward or backman, up (there) with Robbie Muir but a different footballer, kick both feet.." Gary Murray

Also a member of the North Ballarat best 22 team from 1952-1995 BFL era.

Thanks for that ST, just wondering who Gary Murray is ?

Is he a North Ballarat FC historian ?

He was certainly a different type of player to Robbie Muir, but an outstanding young player none the less.

Thanks for that ST, just wondering who Gary Murray is ?

Is he a North Ballarat FC historian ?

He was certainly a different type of player to Robbie Muir, but an outstanding young player none the less.

Gary played for the Victorian Aboriginal State teams during the 70's and 80's and was also the captain for the Fitzroy Stars in that period. I think he was giving his personal view of Eric rather than a North Ballarat view.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back