List Mgmt. Trade and Free Agency Discussion 2018 - Edition III - OP contains trade summary

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
My post also stated using our future first plus later round picks from this year.
Not just later round picks from this year...

What club would agree to give up a first in a good draft year for scraps and a late first in a weak draft year?

Your Suggestion is gold for us, but it sucks for the other club

Thoughts on offering 17 & 36 to Carlton for 25 & 27

Gives us the chance to have a double crack at a couple of inside midfielders in the early part of the second round who might slide through.

Kids who should be available around these picks include:

Luke Valente 186cm 80kg hybrid midfielder and SA under 18s captain
Xavier O'Halloran 187cm 83kg inside midfielder Vic Metro/Western Jets
Luke Foley 187cm 75kg inside midfielder WA/Subiaco
Jye Caldwell 184cm 78kg hybrid midfielder Vic Country/Bendigo
Liam Stocker 183cm 83kg inside midfielder Vic Metro/Sandringham
17 for 25 and 27 maybe. 36 shouldn’t be included

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...n/news-story/e0aa51703b7b7409b4ace6dc2fb936a2

RICHMOND

GONE: Shaun Hampson (retired); Ben Griffiths (delisted) is pursuing an NFL punting career.

IN PLAY: A host of Punt Rd fringe players are on the move. Reece Conca is off to Fremantle on a three-year deal as an unrestricted free agent, Corey Ellis and Anthony Miles will be traded to the Gold Coast, Sam Lloyd is joining the Western Bulldogs and two-gamer Tyson Stengle is heading home to Adelaide. Premiership hard-nut Jacob Townsend is weighing up his options but could stay, while talented rookie forward Callum Moore will be upgraded. Nathan Drummond, cruelled by two knee reconstructions, is yet to be offered a contract.

TARGETS: It’s likely the Tigers will only bring in one player during the trade and free agency frenzy, but he’s a biggie — Gold Coast co-captain Tom Lynch. The Suns have until Monday to match Richmond’s offer but will surely accept pick No. 3 as compensation. Adelaide’s Brad Crouch was never an option. The Tigers will top up their list with four picks in the national draft and half a dozen rookies.

DRAFT PICKS: 16, 34, 70, 88.

— MICHAEL WARNER
Wow Warner is saying we’ll take half a dozen rookies, that’s a lot of rookies!!! Obviously the cap squeeze.
Moore upgraded and what about Chol

Gives us the chance to have a double crack at a couple of inside midfielders in the early part of the second round who might slide through.

Absolutely not, if they want our 17 it would be 25 & 27 with perhaps a very late pick in the 50s or 60s etc thrown in. Last year is the relevant template. We gave Brisbane pick 15 and 52 and got back 20 & 25. No way is 17 & 36 for 25 & 27 fair and reasonable. Plus with compensation picks etc the 25 & 27 will blow out further so not even sure if that is particularly good deal. And finally we owe nothing to Carlton and SOS after the Yarran deal, if they want our pick for McGovern then we are perfectly entitled to play hard ball. For them to get our pick it has to be an unambiguous win for us pure and simple.

Carlton giving up too much.

No they are not. If Adelaide turned around tomorrow and said 'sure we'll take your 25 and 27 for McGovern' they'd do it in a heartbeat. They were in fact all set to offer a mid first round compensation tp Adelaide until the AFL said they aint gonna get one. Adelaide is playing hard ball and that gives us an opportunity to do likewise. And again we owe them no favours after the Yarran trade. If we gave them 17 & 36 for 25 & 27 I would be utterly disgusted.

Absolutely not, if they want our 17 it would be 25 & 27 with perhaps a very late pick in the 50s or 60s etc thrown in. Last year is the relevant template. We gave Brisbane pick 15 and 52 and got back 20 & 25. No way is 17 & 36 for 25 & 27 fair and reasonable. Plus with compensation picks etc the 25 & 27 will blow out further so not even sure if that is particularly good deal. And finally we owe nothing to Carlton and SOS after the Yarran deal, if they want our pick for McGovern then we are perfectly entitled to play hard ball. For them to get our pick it has to be an unambiguous win for us pure and simple.
Not necessarily thinking that they use it for McGovern, as they can pre-select and trade one of the SA state league players and trade them to the Crows. For mine I just look at it from the point of view of it gets us 2 bites of the cherry for a couple of kids in the mid 20s of the draft rather than taking 1 kid at 17 and then hoping one slides through to 36.

Plus if we can get late 2nd/early 3rd round picks for Stengle Lloyd Miles & C.Ellis we aren't really losing out either.

I trust Balmey to get the deals done that best suit our position heading into the draft.

Haha, yes he has been around for a long time, but remember to be a RFA you have to be in the top 25% of earners, which he would not be.
Good point, confess I have been overlooking that bit

Would love Stocker but no chance he gets to 20+, we MIGHT get him at 16

Wow Warner is saying we’ll take half a dozen rookies, that’s a lot of rookies!!! Obviously the cap squeeze.
Moore upgraded and what about Chol

Yeah, we must be feeling the effects of previous back ending too, especially given the back ending nature of Lynch's contract. Now depth players being replaced with Rookies perhaps. The squeeze is on........

No they are not. If Adelaide turned around tomorrow and said 'sure we'll take your 25 and 27 for McGovern' they'd do it in a heartbeat. They were in fact all set to offer a mid first round compensation tp Adelaide until the AFL said they aint gonna get one. Adelaide is playing hard ball and that gives us an opportunity to do likewise. And again we owe them no favours after the Yarran trade. If we gave them 17 & 36 for 25 & 27 I would be utterly disgusted.
For mine looking at who is involved in trade scenario between the 3 clubs I'd be happy with something along the lines of:

Adelaide:
Lose - McGovern pick 39
Gain - Pick 17 & Stengle and McAdam

Carlton:
Lose - 25 & 27 pre-select McAdam
Gain - McGovern & 36

Richmond:
Lose - Stengle 17 & 36
Gain - 25 27 & 39

Wasn't necessarily looking at trading the pick for McGovern, but if we could get the Crows to give up pick 39 for Stengle by including 36 I think everyone would come out feeling like they'd won. As I said getting 2 picks inside the top 30 where we'd get a real chance of picking up a couple of quality midfielders to add to the list is a priority for me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For mine looking at who is involved in trade scenario between the 3 clubs I'd be happy with something along the lines of:

Adelaide:
Lose - McGovern pick 39
Gain - Pick 17 & Stengle and McAdam

Carlton:
Lose - 25 & 27 pre-select McAdam
Gain - McGovern & 36

Richmond:
Lose - Stengle 17 & 36
Gain - 25 27 & 39

Wasn't necessarily looking at trading the pick for McGovern, but if we could get the Crows to give up pick 39 for Stengle by including 36 I think everyone would come out feeling like they'd won. As I said getting 2 picks inside the top 30 where we'd get a real chance of picking up a couple of quality midfielders to add to the list is a priority for me.

Why are we trading pick 36 away for nothing?

Not necessarily thinking that they use it for McGovern, as they can pre-select and trade one of the SA state league players and trade them to the Crows. For mine I just look at it from the point of view of it gets us 2 bites of the cherry for a couple of kids in the mid 20s of the draft rather than taking 1 kid at 17 and then hoping one slides through to 36.

Plus if we can get late 2nd/early 3rd round picks for Stengle Lloyd Miles & C.Ellis we aren't really losing out either.

I trust Balmey to get the deals done that best suit our position heading into the draft.

I know that's what Carlton supporters are saying because they want SOS to get another bargain basement buy. They can only pre-select and trade SA state league player if that's what Adelaide want. The crows have given no indication they are interested in a crap deal like that. They are playing hard ball as they entitled to after what they had to pay to get Gibbs. Our 36 is valuable both in itself and to trade up. Again if we can trade with Carlton we are entitled to an unambiguous win after the Yarran fiasco where we gave them pick 19 for someone that never played a single match. Good will (or lack of it) and past history when trading are not irrelevant when trading with a given club. All I'm suggesting is we do to Carlton what they did to Adelaide over Gibbs and us over Yarran. Hard ball, no favours...

Last edited:
We traded pick 15 and pick 52 last year to the Lions for picks 20 and 25.
Last year we held our R2 pick for Naish, this year we've got no need to hold that pick for a F/S selection.

For me improving our second pick into the mid 20's instead of late 30's is important. With smart trading we could still end up with Lynch and 4-5 picks inside the top 50 of the draft with deals for Stengle Miles C.Ellis and Lloyd to come.

Bloke I know moved up to the goldy a few years ago, he's an Essendon fan but joined the Gold Coast cheer squad to make some mates up there, long story short ran into him yesterday and he reckons We are trying to get Alex sexton. He had no idea if it would happen but believes it to be 100% that we have had discussions with him/his manager.

For those of us that remember how good Nathan foley was before injury I think freeman would be a similar player. Foley was an absolute jet when he had that tearaway speed but given his size once injury took that away to some extent he just become a good average player at the top level. Sadly for freeman I think he would be in the same boat. Wouldn't be against giving him a rookie spot tho.
Id love us to play menadue in the guts for this very reason. His breakaway pace would be gold

Bloke I know moved up to the goldy a few years ago, he's an Essendon fan but joined the Gold Coast cheer squad to make some mates up there, long story short ran into him yesterday and he reckons We are trying to get Alex sexton. He had no idea if it would happen but believes it to be 100% that we have had discussions with him/his manager.
Not sure why we would, is he a midfielder? If not no thanks

Richmond:
Lose - Stengle 17 & 36
Gain - 25 27 & 39

Assuming Stengle is worth Adelaide's 3rd round pick (#39 ), just because 17 + 36 = 53 and 25 + 27 = 52, in draft terms #17 + #36 does not really equate to #25 and #27, even if the draft points system has them reasonable close (1527 v 1459). Draft place vs value is more of a y = 1/x graph than a linear with a negative gradient. Which means that #17 alone (or maybe with a late 3rd round pick) is probably worth almost that of #25 + #27.

If it gets to our #17 on draft night and the top end kid we had earmarked has already gone, then maybe I'd consider your suggestion as a live trade. Otherwise I wouldn't be keen to do Carlton any favours. Scumbags.

giphy.gif

#LOLNorf

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back