Strategy Trade and List management (Add your rumour to the simmering stew that is the post season. Edition.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We might as well just give up, sell all the players and close the club :(.

Wonder if they'd like Bevo as an assistant to that abject failure of a coach that they haven't sent packing yet after how many years?
Damien Barrett was obviously bored during
Between 08 and 13 time they traded in: Burgoyne, Gibson, Gunston and Lake.

If we want to be 'back' we better get on our bike and make some deals.
Or alternatively we could do it our way and btw didn't we get Trengrove, Crozier last year.

I’d be hesitant to pick up anyone st.kilda delisted right now based on their output this season
I take your point but Billy Gowers says hello.

My point being that sometimes clubs just can’t get what they want out of players at certain times. In saying that, the injury history of both combined with our recent injury list doesn’t seem like a good combo to me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just read through that post and whilst it didn't sound great the way it was worded, it hardly came across as any sort of surprise.

I don't think it is a secret that there has been some sort of unrest around the Kennel since the flag was delivered. Stringer was rumoured to be part of the big problem and that is why he is now elsewhere.

The other thing is, Beveridge got great mileage out of a number of players that year, they were awesome but have not been able to replicate that form since and never showed anything like that prior either.

Every club periodically replenishes their list when it gets to a stage that they are too far away from making Top 4. It appears that the Dogs are at that moment in time & will make the necessary adjustments to make another assault whilst the core of seriously good players (eg. Bont etc) are still there.

What page # is it on?

Surely I'm not the only one but who the hell is jack Martin

IIRC, didn't we have first dibs on him in the 2012 mini draft, but had to give up picks 5 and 6 to do it?

The picks that landed Stringer and McCrae?

Would be ironic to get him in now.

IIRC, didn't we have first dibs on him in the 2012 mini draft, but had to give up picks 5 and 6 to do it?

The picks that landed Stringer and McCrae?

Would be ironic to get him in now.

Yeah, GWS was asking for both of them so that we'd get Martin & a later pick back in return.

I just read through that post and whilst it didn't sound great the way it was worded, it hardly came across as any sort of surprise.

I don't think it is a secret that there has been some sort of unrest around the Kennel since the flag was delivered. Stringer was rumoured to be part of the big problem and that is why he is now elsewhere.

The other thing is, Beveridge got great mileage out of a number of players that year, they were awesome but have not been able to replicate that form since and never showed anything like that prior either.

Every club periodically replenishes their list when it gets to a stage that they are too far away from making Top 4. It appears that the Dogs are at that moment in time & will make the necessary adjustments to make another assault whilst the core of seriously good players (eg. Bont etc) are still there.

Just read it. A little bit over the top. Clubs enquiring about Hunter, Bont, Libba etc doesnt bother me - it is their job to enquire. Are they unhappy at the Dogs? No.

Look at the seven players who rotated through the back six of our premiership side.

Wood - pick 43
Hamling - DFA
Morris - rookie
Boyd - rookie
Biggs - a two pick downgrade, 36 to 38 (virtually free)
Roberts - PSD pick
JJ - rookie

And who would have been playing if they weren't injured? The two most likely were Jong injured in the first week of finals (rookie) and Suckling, injured late in the year (former rookie, FA so cost us nothing).

Clever list management trumps all.
What’s draN???

http://www.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL Tenant/AFL/Files/Father-son-bidding-system.pdf

Here is the link

Whilst it's obviously a clear out of the ratbags.. I can't see how Wallis fits into that group.
Surely his form turnaround and improvement later this year should be enough to show his character and resilliance.
For us wanting to be move on so many players, there has to be something big in the works.
If there's not, it's pretty worrying. Massive list turnover predicted by everyone here - some saying 10+, five of them premiership players.

If we move on Biggs, Red, Smith, Wally, Dahl, Roughy, Collins, NMM, Campbell, and a few more whipping boys as predicted, that's far too large a list turnover to expect to be a contender next year. That's approaching Carlton level turnovers. We need to retain some depth and experience.

Whilst not getting too negative, and hoping we got this under control, it's going to be a bloody long offseason.

That is the question. Can LD can get back to 16 form? For me he can. The geelong job interview game this yr proved it. That suggests his form drop off is mental/ motivational.

That raises a difficult question re our man management. A similar question was raised last yr with Stringer which most of us were happy to blame almost solely on Stringer.

Dahlhaus will be the second AA level player we have lost for unders in two years due to the club not being able to manage that player to get the best out of them.

People will say Stringer was unmanageable - was Dahl too? And for that matter Libba's disgraceful 2017 was miles off his best as well. Libba as well?

If it was just one player who has not performed close to their peak. OK. But three AA level players who are in their prime age wise and two of the worst post premiership years in history?

Hmmmm....

Wouldn't be surprised if it is as simple as money.

Heavily front loaded early in this contract, outside our top 25%? Of contracts hence the unrestricted free agent status.

One could wonder if the drop in form over two year coincides with lower pay packets over two years as I would think many of this generation would quickly forget about the large sums they were paid in advance. Just a thought

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back