Saturday September 25

Draft Combine – Vic Country
Friday October 1

Restricted and Unrestricted Free Agency Window
Friday October 1 – Friday October 8

Delisted Free Agency Window 1
Wednesday October 3 - Monday October 15

Trade Period (picks and players)
Monday October 4 (9am) – Wednesday October 13 (7.30pm)

Draft Combines (States and Regions)
VM: Saturday October 9 (tbc)
Qld: Sunday October 10

Tas: Monday October 11
SA: Saturday October 16

WA: Sunday October 17
NSW&ACT: tbc
NT: will join SA or Qld

Trade Period (picks only)
Monday October 18 – Monday November 15

List Lodgement 1
Friday October 29

Delisted Free Agency Window 1
Wednesday November 3 (9am) – Tuesday November 9 (5pm)

List Lodgement 2 (Final date for primary list delistings)
Wednesday November 10 (2pm)

Delisted Free Agency Window 2
Thursday November 11 (9am) – Monday November 15 (5pm)

Draft Nominations Due
Wednesday November 17 (3pm)

Pre-Season Commences (First to fourth year players)
Monday November 22

National Draft
Round 1: Wednesday November 24 (7pm)
Round 2–end: Thursday November 25 (7pm)

Rookie Upgrade Period
Thursday November 25 (10pm) - Thursday November 25 (11pm)

Delisted Free Agency Window 3
Thursday November 25 (10pm) - Thursday November 25 (11pm)

Pre-Selected Rookie Nominations Due (Includes Academy, Father/Son)
Friday November 26 (12pm) - Friday November 26 (12.30pm)

Preseason Draft
Friday November 26 (3pm)

Pre-Selected Rookie Notification
Friday November 26 (3.15pm)

Rookie Draft
Friday November 26 (3.20pm)

Final List Lodgement
Monday November 29 (4pm)

Pre-Season Commences (All other players)
Monday December 6

Pre-Season Supplemental Selection Period (SSP)
December - March (tbc)
Current Contract Status
2021 Draft Watch
Father/Son and NGA
Adrian Dodoro

Last edited:
Was his move to defence because that’s where we see him playing in the future or simply because a raw KPF in a shitty side is going to do it tough and we just wanted him to get the ball in his hands?
Eh, bit of both. I know someone from Calder who thinks he's better back than forward.

I like him in defence because he gets lost forward, which is easy to do in a crap side. He kicks the ball well too.

Frankly, given the way his 2020 and 2021 were impacted by COVID, and how skinny he currently is, we'll probably need a few years to be sure of exactly what we've got with Eyre.

He did go top 40 though, so we weren't the only ones who rated him.

We've got Wright, Jones, McBride, Baldwin and Eyre who can potentially fill that role, plus if we want Reid and potentially one of the rucks. So we've got lots and lots of options. Lloyd and Lucas were pretty skinny when they first started to.

This is a little confusing to me. You've listed three KP Forwards we've already got in the forward line. So technically, we don't need anymore unless we want to upgrade some (which some clearly believe we need to do). You then list two more players who can do that. We've also got Eyre, Reid, and the option of playing a ruck forward who are also options.

That's 5 players outside the current best 22 who will be trying to develop to be better. Outside of KP back, what other position do we have 1.2 players in the VFL fighting for each AFL spot? All youngsters with potential.

Certainly not the midfield. There for the 8 spots we've got 7 locks (Merret, Parish, Shiel, McGrath, Langford, Stringer & Caldwell), three good young prospects fighting over the last spot (Perkins, Cox, Durham) and then some older depth (Clarke, Guelfi, Cutler). Even including the older players, that means the midfield has 0.7 players in the VFL for every senior spot.

I'd prefer to fill the position for which we have almost no depth than the one which has almost 2 depth players for every senior spot there is in the team.

I don’t see Jones as that guy. Maybe 5 or 6 years into his career but at the moment he’s more an athletic CHF.

None of the other guys you’ve mentioned have played any footy and could easily be busts. Traditionally getting a capable KPF outside the first round is extremely improbable.

I think you're both misunderstanding. Yes, Durham goes straight onto the rookie list. Its an automatic process. However, we still need to open a spot on the list for him. Hurley was on the inactive list (as was Mozzie), and that spot was used to take him in the mid-season draft. At the end of the year we then have to delist someone so that he has a spot.

We have delisted/retired 6 players (Hooker, Zaka, Ambrose, Mozzie, Cahill, Johnson), opening up 6 spots. But Durham takes one of those, meaning we can only use 5 in the draft, for trades or FA. We will be using one on Kelly as a FA.

So assuming Kelly is all but done, we have 4 list spots left

(If we're getting more technical, it is technically 7 players out (above + McQuillan) and we had a spare spot last year, but we have to make room for Durham, Waterman and Baldwin. 7 + 1 -3 = 5 - Kelly = 4).
Durham was taken in the mid-season draft. On 18 month contract on the rookie list. Can you please show me in the AFL rules where it says we need to keep a main list spot open for him?

Any word on Ainsworth, could be a serious addition I think, probably just needs a change of scenery his got all the tools
Could be an interesting trade. Don’t think we’d have to pay a heap to get him. Low risk, potentially high reward.

Durham was taken in the mid-season draft. On 18 month contract on the rookie list. Can you please show me in the AFL rules where it says we need to keep a main list spot open for him?
Because when you already have 5 other rookies (Clarke, Gleeson, Snelling, Waterman, Baldwin), adding a 6th rookie means using a main list spot.

I don’t see Jones as that guy. Maybe 5 or 6 years into his career but at the moment he’s more an athletic CHF.

None of the other guys you’ve mentioned have played any footy and could easily be busts. Traditionally getting a capable KPF outside the first round is extremely improbable.
Sure, they could be busts. So could whoever we take with #13. The point is where should we be using very valuable draft currency. On the spot where we already have 3-5 options on the list in addition to the 3 in the best 22, or the spot where we have 2 young options outside the best 22 list of 8 we need.

Let's see, add to the 3-5 extras who if they come on we'll get twiddly in trade compo, or the spot with only 2 young depth options for 8 list spots?

I could see this argument being made if it was for a King or McKay, who are clearly best 22, push everyone down the pecking order. But for a speculative draftee or fringe from another club, who will add to the 3-5 kids already fighting for the limited best 22 roles? When our small depth across every line is paper-thin? I don't get it.

We invested in talls in 2019 & 2020. Let's see if that investment bears fruit, while investing in smalls.

Could be an interesting trade. Don’t think we’d have to pay a heap to get him. Low risk, potentially high reward.
Think he would be a much better option than stephens and for probably less a price. Gold Coast are going to have a cap squeeze in a few years they could look to offload him. Dynamic around goal and need a smaller complimentary type. His toby greene lite on his day

Sure, they could be busts. So could whoever we take with #13. The point is where should we be using very valuable draft currency. On the spot where we already have 3-5 options on the list in addition to the 3 in the best 22, or the spot where we have 2 young options outside the best 22 list of 8 we need.

Let's see, add to the 3-5 extras who if they come on we'll get twiddly in trade compo, or the spot with only 2 young depth options for 8 list spots?

I could see this argument being made if it was for a King or McKay, who are clearly best 22, push everyone down the pecking order. But for a speculative draftee or fringe from another club, who will add to the 3-5 kids already fighting for the limited best 22 roles? When our small depth across every line is paper-thin? I don't get it.

We invested in talls in 2019 & 2020. Let's see if that investment bears fruit, while investing in smalls.

I’m only interested in Weideman if he costs very little at the trade table similar to Hind or Wright.

I disagree that we have plenty of options for the big bodied KPF role after Wright I’d say our next best is Stewart.

I do agree somewhat that there is potential for a logjam but I just think Weideman is a talented footballer who could potentially be grabbed cheaply. I wouldn’t be surprised if he out performs all our tall forwards next year wherever he ends up

Because when you already have 5 other rookies (Clarke, Gleeson, Snelling, Waterman, Baldwin), adding a 6th rookie means using a main list spot.
And we can have up to 6 rookies and 2 Cat Bs. Unless you mean that the total list size is capped at 42? When you said 'one spot used on Durham' I think this is what you meant.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do you agree with Rutten saying Essendon don't need to target a tall midfielder in the trade window?
Mostly we just back Rutten. He pulled a rabbit out of the hat last year moving half the players to different positions and that worked out, so he’s earned a bit of trust. If he’s saying that we don’t need one now then most of us just wait and see what he and Caracalla have in mind.

The midfield as a whole wasn’t awful anyway, we have thin spots elsewhere that they seem to be trying to address.

Frankly, given the way his 2020 and 2021 were impacted by COVID, and how skinny he currently is, we'll probably need a few years to be sure of exactly what we've got with Eyre.

He did go top 40 though, so we weren't the only ones who rated him.

That's the whole point with Eyre and Baldwin. Ones barely played in 3 years the other is skinny raw. We won't know in 12 months time if these guys are going to cut it and as I've said before I doubt we see much consistent level of football at AFL from either in the next 2-3 years
Any word on Ainsworth, could be a serious addition I think, probably just needs a change of scenery his got all the tools

Is exactly what we need, but contracted and they'd make us pay through our teeth

Do you agree with Rutten saying Essendon don't need to target a tall midfielder in the trade window?
I'd say there is a good chance we draft a tall mid with our first rounder

12 months ago we clearly felt we needed a big mid. 12 months on it doesn't appear to be as much the case and I think that's due to what Parish and Stringer did this year.

I'm still not sold our contested work is good enough for success in finals. We were clearly the worse side of the 8

The fans would be pretty split whether we need to target a big mid or not. I think Stringer has turned the coaches heads but he doesn't attend stoppages back half of the ground

#1 KPF
Peter Wright (Kaine Baldwin)

#2/3 KPF
Aaron Francis, Harrison Jones (Cian McBride)

If anyone doesn’t think we don’t need a key forward they need to re evaluate how the list looks. We seem to be putting a lot of eggs into the Kaine Baldwin basket and forming a decent partnership with Peter Wright. I’d love a genuine 197+ cm key forward. A beast to develop at the lower level. McBride, Eyre are coming from a long way back whilst Michael Hurley is the elephant in the room.

He gets back to senior football and the pressure eases on Francis if not he and Peter Wright

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've been thinking about this and turning Jye Amiss over in my mind. King will be expensive and is no guarantee. Unfortunately, by the time a player like Amiss is ready to destroy forwards, Parish and Merrett and Stringer are in their late 20s. Must find out about Baldwin's and Eyre's capacity for the AFL level sooner rather than later.

Is exactly what we need, but contracted and they'd make us pay through our teeth
Wright was contracted too. I don’t think anyone would need to break the piggy bank to get him.

Wright wasn't best 22 and Ainsworth is
Got dropped for poor form this year. Spent 5 weeks in the ressies. Played ok when he got back to the seniors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back