Recruiting Trade & Free Agency V

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I doubt we'll have true 'big fish' cap room, but we do probably have 'add a nice piece' cap room if we elect to go that way.

Seems like a good year to just go to the draft though, the 22 seems settled enough, unless you can find someone that improves a position of need massively I suspect it's probably not a bad time to draft and stash a young key forward for a while and add another quality midfielder.
This.

I like the idea of Wallis from WB as one of those 'nice piece' acquisitions as a RFA. Wont cost anywhere near Wines money and can step into our current midfield mix nicely.

That way we keep potentially our 1st round pick as well which could be relatively high if we maintain current ladder position.

I love Wines but if we are weighing up hypotheticals then the option of Wallis and keeping our first rounder is fiscally smarter and probably better list management (balance) when you think about the fact that Wines would cost close to 1m a year and 2 first rounders in trade.

Our 1st and 2019 2nd for Hopper and Setterfield?

Use GWS 2nd rounder this year on the best available tall forward.
Not a chance GWS says yes. Especially with them working so hard last year to sign Hopper up last year.

Their depth is being exposed a bit this year. Little chance they trade away two top 10 draft picks from 3 or less years ago for two more first round picks (who may not be top 10) they will need to develop.

Big fat pass on Setterfield. Tell me the last time he got through a season without a serious injury. Hopper won't be moving whilst playing 1's each week.

Which Setterfield are you talking about, because we’re talking about the one who isn’t even half way through year 2

Age reporting that Cam Guthrie and Geelong are at an impass Geelongs current offer is not enough.

I think he would be a good pick up hope we enquire.
We don't really have a tagger now that Hocking has retired so he would be handy in that role. Did I read/hear somewhere that he wants $600-650 but cats only want to pay $500? Personally I think $500 at most.

That's the official story but I somehow don't think the AFL were like "do you agree to give the Giants these concessions OR do you prefer to give them less concessions".

Sometimes when you've got a crappy choice you pick the best out of 2 bad options.

Giants concessions were insane and on top of that I don't think the AFL gave much thought to what it would be like when they tanked the first 3 years or so on top of that.
I live in sydney and watch both teams games. It was embarrassing how generous the concessions were, but that is not the players fault. They deserve the support of the wider afl community.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dom Tyson would be nice, may want to leave if he can’t break into the side. Unsure what he’s be worth at the trade table though.
I believe he would be a really good acquisition...anything that makes our midfield better would be a good acquisition. I would give that GWS second rounder for him (about what we got for Melksham and Hibberd).

I believe he would be a really good acquisition...anything that makes our midfield better would be a good acquisition. I would give that GWS second rounder for him (about what we got for Melksham and Hibberd).

GWS would be crazy not to take that deal. Although Melbourne might pull out some technicality like ‘he doesn’t even play for them’ that could scuttle the deal

At the moment as things stand I think Baguley is earning himself an extra year (even if just as depth and good training player). Goddard might want to play on and I am happy to have him for another season as he has not declined enough to give up his spot yet

Out: Brown, J. Merrett, Green, Long, Dea and Leunberger

In: Smack (upgraded), Free agent/trade target, 4 draft picks.

Free agent or trade target I am unsure about. I would go for Wines/Degoey but unsure we can bring them in.

Early round draft targets for me would be.

1st round:

Jackson Hately (big bodied midfielder who can extract the ball)
Riley Collier-Dawkins (raw as hell but could be a beast in the midfield)
Ben King (Big defensive player to groom behind Hooker)

2nd Round:

Jack Bytel: I think he is going to slip on draft night. He is a ball magnet but does not have the wow factor of others. We get him in the second and it is a steal.
Xavier Durrsma: X-factor. Great damage factor with ball in hand
Thomas Berry: Another big bodied inside midfielder to develop

One player out of contract we should entertain would be Kade Kolodjashnij. Looked like a real player his first couple years before suffering a few head knocks which resulted in a bit of up and down form. I can't see him re-signing given the Suns track record for treating injuries.

He would come relatively cheap and slotted into a more professional setting down here he could rediscover his form.

One player out of contract we should entertain would be Kade Kolodjashnij. Looked like a real player his first couple years before suffering a few head knocks which resulted in a bit of up and down form. I can't see him re-signing given the Suns track record for treating injuries.

He would come relatively cheap and slotted into a more professional setting down here he could rediscover his form.

Isn't his best position playing as a third tall defender? That wouldn't be high on the list of priorities.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back