List Mgmt. Trade Hypotheticals (opposition posters post here)

Remove this Banner Ad

If you guys could snare Bruest that would be huge! Icing on the cake to your team. I always thought defence was your weak point, but this year, especially in the second half, it's looked real good. Patful seems to have fit in well, Haynes is excelling, and Tomlinson is playing the best footy of his career. With Davis' slightly worrying injury history, do you still feel like this is an area you could stand to strengthen?

If you guys could snare Bruest that would be huge! Icing on the cake to your team. I always thought defence was your weak point, but this year, especially in the second half, it's looked real good. Patful seems to have fit in well, Haynes is excelling, and Tomlinson is playing the best footy of his career. With Davis' slightly worrying injury history, do you still feel like this is an area you could stand to strengthen?

We are vulnerable if Phil goes down. Backup is Corr and Mohr. We may take Macreadie (195 cms kpd) in draft.

I'm not interested in "what would you want for this player" discussion because it's a bit of a waste of time.

However alongside Marchbank who's already headed our way we've also been linked through rumour with Stewart, Aidan Corr and Pickett.

What's the likelihood of those players leaving and headed our way?
Corr: Contracted and no way no how
Pickett: Unsure but the WA clubs seem really interested. He been in rehab since early in year and nothings been said that I've heard.
Stewart: Expect him to be on the market and to seek opportunities elswhere. If you guys want him SOS has probably already had a word.

I'm not interested in "what would you want for this player" discussion because it's a bit of a waste of time.

However alongside Marchbank who's already headed our way we've also been linked through rumour with Stewart, Aidan Corr and Pickett.

What's the likelihood of those players leaving and headed our way?

Aiden Corr, your wasting your time. Contracted to 2018 and has a long future as a Giant.

If Luke Bruest is on the market, what would GWS offer?
I reckon that GWS would offer more than that. Given our reputed previous offers for proven players like Stevie J & Ryan Griffen, I'd think it would be more - two picks or a pick and player. Given that we have a few players wanting to go home to Melbourne, you'd think GWS might try to match them to Hawthorn, which would be useful to Hawks in regenerating, providing they valued the player on offer. If Breust were to be offered up by Hawks to gain picks to land Mitchell and O'Meara, then I'd hope that GWS would be in. Though a Mitchell for Breust swap might be easier for both those clubs - depends on how much Hawthorn want to profit from the trade and what picks are required for their trading/draft needs.

I reckon that GWS would offer more than that. Given our reputed previous offers for proven players like Stevie J & Ryan Griffen, I'd think it would be more - two picks or a pick and player. Given that we have a few players wanting to go home to Melbourne, you'd think GWS might try to match them to Hawthorn, which would be useful to Hawks in regenerating, providing they valued the player on offer. If Breust were to be offered up by Hawks to gain picks to land Mitchell and O'Meara, then I'd hope that GWS would be in. Though a Mitchell for Breust swap might be easier for both those clubs - depends on how much Hawthorn want to profit from the trade and what picks are required for their trading/draft needs.

I think / hope you're right. I cannot imagine pick 18 alone would be enough to interest Hawthorn.
If some of the GWS players who are seeking further opportunity wanted to go to Hawthorn or to Gold Coast, then further discussions would take place.

Brett Anderson on Twitter -

Lots of talk about GWS looking to move up to Pick 1 or 2. Keen to have pick (poss. McGrath) prior to matching bids on Setterfield/Perryman.
Say we trade our first 2 picks for pick 1 or 2, do we still have enough points to get Perryman, Setterfield and Macreadie?

Why?

Absolute bargain. Really like what I've seen in the NEAFL

He probably suffered a bit from hype coming into 2016 and also being played out of position.

In the 18 Championship games he really struggled and he probably hasn't gone on as well as was predicted (Projected pick 1-3) earlier in the year.

I think he will be a bargain because a lot of kids have jumped up ahead now and the other clubs probably know we will take him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well, pick 1 is worth more than pick #7 plus (at best) pick 15, so we'd need to have a player in there as well for Essendon to do that trade. Brisbane would possibly be more likely with pick #2, as they'd gain two first round picks vice one - attractive given how even the top of the draft is. Bit surprised that McGrath is being mentioned, though. I'd see his style & role as similar to Zac Williams & Nathan Wilson, so not sure why we'd want to add him to the squad unless we expect to lose one of the others? Little point drafting him if we stick him in NEAFL for the whole year. A small forward like Ainsworth or Taranto would be more likely IMO, given past comments by our list manager. (However, no way would we trade for Breust at the same time.)

Whether we can afford Perryman and Setterfield would depend on where they were bid, and what other picks came in from other trades, such as Marchbank. I'd also wonder if we did take a McGrath (or other player) whether we might pass on one of the supposed high picks. It might be a more interesting trade & draft period than last year in wondering how GWS jumps. I just hope they don't make a mess of it. A few times when we've reached for players in the past we've cocked it up royally (O'Rourke, Jacksch spring to mind and Pickett & Marchbank similarly look like under value outcomes).

What are the chances of you guys trading 5 + 7 for 1 & 19 or 1 & a future 2nd (agreeing to not bid on your kids) if you're able to do another Boekhorst trade with Carlton?
Really don't see GWS getting 5 off Carlton. But if it did happen, then given what whispers are out there, that's exactly what I'd see your trade scenario as a possibility if we're really into someone we need to grab really early. It would leave us with 3 picks in the 15-19 range for 2 possibly 3 academy kids, so probably meets the outcome there (plus a couple of second rounders for 1 or 2 players further down the list).

Well, pick 1 is worth more than pick #7 plus (at best) pick 15, so we'd need to have a player in there as well for Essendon to do that trade. Brisbane would possibly be more likely with pick #2, as they'd gain two first round picks vice one - attractive given how even the top of the draft is. Bit surprised that McGrath is being mentioned, though. I'd see his style & role as similar to Zac Williams & Nathan Wilson, so not sure why we'd want to add him to the squad unless we expect to lose one of the others? Little point drafting him if we stick him in NEAFL for the whole year. A small forward like Ainsworth or Taranto would be more likely IMO, given past comments by our list manager. (However, no way would we trade for Breust at the same time.)

Whether we can afford Perryman and Setterfield would depend on where they were bid, and what other picks came in from other trades, such as Marchbank. I'd also wonder if we did take a McGrath (or other player) whether we might pass on one of the supposed high picks. It might be a more interesting trade & draft period than last year in wondering how GWS jumps. I just hope they don't make a mess of it. A few times when we've reached for players in the past we've cocked it up royally (O'Rourke, Jacksch spring to mind and Pickett & Marchbank similarly look like under value outcomes).

All very true and the one time we didn't reach on one we liked it was Bontempelli! If only that spud Tom Boyd had done a Wingard in the interviews! Sadly his ego and his managers greed stopped that.

The guy we should draft is Ainsworth, he is the prototype of what we don't have.

Weren't we also desperate to get pick 1 from saints to draft petracca. I don't think we are selling the farm for pick 1 at all. Club has already shown its hand in regards to prioritising academy boys

I suppose the key question is what is our target list size.

The second question is whether we promote Reid and Lloyd to the senior list.

I'm a bit iffy about getting some of these ultra high draft picks. For mine they are a bigger flight risk the longer they stay in the seconds. We have crazy quality depth.

I suppose the key question is what is our target list size.

The second question is whether we promote Reid and Lloyd to the senior list.

I'm a bit iffy about getting some of these ultra high draft picks. For mine they are a bigger flight risk the longer they stay in the seconds. We have crazy quality depth.
I'm hoping Bruest is a chance. We haven't done so badly from more mature players. Whether that's because they chose to come, or whether we signed them because we had a spot I'm not sure.

I'm tipping Breust and Barrett end up at Sydney...
How would the Swans pay for Bruest? Are they holding picks I've missed. I'm sure they could do it with midielders but cant see them giving up a gun the Hawks would want. Lot of emotion around Kennedy but they have tough, speed would be the priority you would think.

How would the Swans pay for Bruest? Are they holding picks I've missed. I'm sure they could do it with midielders but cant see them giving up a gun the Hawks would want. Lot of emotion around Kennedy but they have tough, speed would be the priority you would think.

Tom Mitchell

Remove this Banner Ad

Back