Mega Thread Trade Targets 2018 (2018 Trade Period Discussion)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was at the airport this morning and as I was walking to the terminal, the thought “keep an eye out for footy players” popped into my head for a second.

Then I was disgusted with myself for letting Big Footy get into my psyche.

Hurry up Trade Week.
I keep seeing incoherent ramblings from what I thought was a drunk, old incoherent man then I realized it was Horseflee.

Because Lycett sucks and we're not dumb enough to recruit him (hopefully)

He’s now the lead ruck on a Grand Final team. And just helped his side just absolute belt Melbourne’s Gawn-led midfield.

He’s not that bad. I’m weighing up the cost of what we have to trade for someone else against Lycett as a free agent.

No one can be sure Pruess or anyone else would be better than Lycett. He’s likely moving for a monster deal, otherwise he’ll resign at the Eagles, so I’d agree that isn’t worth it.

He’s now the lead ruck on a Grand Final team. And just helped his side just absolute belt Melbourne’s Gawn-led midfield.

He’s not that bad. I’m weighing up the cost of what we have to trade for someone else against Lycett as a free agent.

No one can be sure Pruess or anyone else would be better than Lycett. He’s likely moving for a monster deal, otherwise he’ll resign at the Eagles, so I’d agree that isn’t worth it.
We can't be sure he will be better than Lycett, but Lycett for 700 or Preuss for 300 and 400k cap space...I'm going option B

We can't be sure he will be better than Lycett, but Lycett for 700 or Preuss for 300 and 400k cap space...I'm going option B
Add to that, Lycett always plays with a genuine second ruck in Nic Nat or Vardy. If Port intend on rucking Ryder for 40% of the game, it'll work out for them. But we need a ruck that only briefly gets a chop out for Jenkins. Lycett isn't that.

I wonder if becoming a premiership ruckman will see the eagles let him go amicably or make them match the offer to get good value from Port?

What if...

Despite all the Port talk, Lycett is actually coming to the Crows?

We nail a new first ruck for the next 5 years without having to give up any draft picks thanks to the spare money from McGovern bailing, leaving us free to pursue deals to improve our draft position.

If he’s watching Port lose Polec and throw the likes of Wingard on the table, surely he’s smelling a rebuild at Alberton and the chance to join our crew looks a lot better in comparison.

Hopefully the Eagles win the flag this weekend so he’s happy to move on.

He’s no world beater but I reckon he’s good enough given all the other elements in play.

Did he play yesterday?

Will he play Saturday? Will winning keep him in Perth for another couple of years.

I doubt he comes to us as he was a port boys through and through growing up

Did he play yesterday?

Will he play Saturday? Will winning keep him in Perth for another couple of years.

I doubt he comes to us as he was a port boys through and through growing up

Yes, Lycett played yesterday and will in the GF. Against the Dees he had 20 hitouts v Gawn’s 36, from 20 minutes less game time. Lycett also had three tackles to Gawn’s zero.

Lycett not worth the money. Preuss is easily the better get, he’s younger too

It’s all about finding diamonds in the rough when trading for rucks (it’s what we did when getting Sauce), unless you’re getting one that’s elite.

When you say Preuss is the ‘better get’ do you mean he’s easily a better player or better value for money?

I reckon we seriously need a competitive ruckman who gives us some grunt and doesn’t get walked around like Jacobs was so often this year. Lycett could be that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wonder if becoming a premiership ruckman will see the eagles let him go amicably or make them match the offer to get good value from Port?

With Nic Nat missing for half of next year (and probably another year after that before he's 100% again, if he ever gets back to 100%), I suspect they'll work pretty hard to keep Lycett. They probably can't afford to match the massive offers for Gaff but they may well end up matching Port's offer to Lycett, either in the hope that he'll stay or to get their hands on one of Port's 1st round picks. They'll have a few after trading Polec and Wingard, and they'll be much better than the pick 20 or later that the Eagles will get as compensation. Matching a FA bid isn't "unamicable" (is that a word?), it's just about getting a better return than FA compensation. Dangerfield's departure was pretty amicable (as opposed to the likes of Tippett, Lever etc) but the Crows still matched.

Another possibility is that Lycett himself has a change of heart after winning a flag. He might decide he wants to stay and defend it with his premiership teammates.

Nothing inflates a players worth more than a premiership medallion. Lycett wont be worth it.

Preuss

Positives

+ Young, he is 23 at start of next season. Potentially a seven year ruckman
+ Big and physical, 110kg and 206cm. He loves to rattle the oppositions bones and is super competitive.
+ Wants to be best 22, shows he has the drive to compete hard at the top level.
+ A 1st ruckman choice, capable of resting forward. Ideal for chopping out for Jenkins and in the long term potentially Himmelberg.
+ Capable forward, he won't throw out our structure while resting.
+ Has a point to prove, having been held behind an aging Goldstein all this time.
+ High potential, in his brief cameo in 2017 as a debutant 22yr old ruck, he amassed the following stats:
9 Marks vs GWS
5 Tackles vs Melbourne
46 hitouts vs Geelong!!! (Higher than anything Lycett has ever recorded)
+ Wont cost big money

Negatives

- Unproven at AFL level, although his potential is promising
- Contracted until 2020, will cost more than Lycett in draft picks
- Not the athletic/mobile profile of many modern rucks

IMO, Preuss is the kind of physical ruckman we should chase. A player in that Mumford mold, he can set the tone at the centre bounce and give us plenty of follow up physicality in the contest. Preuss barreling into a Grundy or Gawn at every bounce, coupled with his solid tap work and aggression toward the body, is likely to wear the opposition ruckman down big time.

For our needs, Preuss is Prime.

When you say Preuss is the ‘better get’ do you mean he’s easily a better player or better value for money?

I reckon we seriously need a competitive ruckman who gives us some grunt and doesn’t get walked around like Jacobs was so often this year. Lycett could be that.
Better value for money.

Also Preuss is the competitive ruckman with grunt, not Lycett. Can’t categorically say he’ll be a better player at this point but I’d give it a pretty good chance

If both fall through then what other ruckmen are around worth a punt? Also why is O’Brien still on the list if we don’t rate him to fill sauces shoes? Seems to me to be an outdated prototype now.

Crows want Preuss to share ruck duties with Sauce.

Let's hope it's not that and Sauce is retiring. Sauce, Preuss, JJ, Tex and Lynch in the same side would be disastrous for running power and forward pressure. At times 4 would need to be on the field unless we isolate 2 bench spots for their rotations. Either way, a looming disaster.

Edit - just read AFGM post, forgot about Fog. He'd better prep himself for a year in the SANFL or hope for injuries. No we he can be added to that group in a 22.

Last edited:
Jacobs is out of contract next year. If he continues his downward slide, I can see him possibly retiring, as he'll be 31 and not near his former self. If Preuss comes and gets in good form, it might be the straw that breaks the camel's back

Sauce has a gold pass for 2019. If he manages to force a contract for 2020 he'll be subject to being dropped. But not next year, we don't treat our ageing warriors like that. He'll play every game that he puts his hand up for and that will be every game because he thrives on continuity and huge workload.

My gut is that we'll be going with both if we are after Preuss. ROB is a perfectly fine SANFL cover for what passes as a selectable performance from Sauce. Unless he's leaving, why have 2 sitting in the SANFL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back