Mega Thread Trade Targets 2018 (2018 Trade Period Discussion)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was all down to our entire midfield - the club banked on the players we had rather than improving, and their lack of objectivity in the face of mounting evidence resulted in catastrophe. A year on and Brad has another 0 game season, he's going to be 8 years into a career at the AFC with less than 100 games, and the good ones all happening in the first 50. It's long past time we cut our losses with Brad and recycled our position into something that actually has a future - he's been given far more time and latitude than Bernie Vince ever received, and Vince was at least still on the park.
Do you think port regret trading shaun burgoyne to hawthorn...he looked cooked with his knee injuries. Crouch has had groin surgery and the club have then taken a very conservative approach to his rehab by ruling a line under him for the rest of the season which gives him much time to strengthen..then have a holiday in the offseason before coming back for the start of preseason. They are giving him the best possible recovery time

Charlie was still contracted and had just kicked 5 goals in a prelim. Most of us on here were saying that if Brisbane wanted him, they were going to have to cough up more.

As it was, the difference between their second rounder and the pick from Port that they had was 8 picks, they then managed to trade back into the first with pick 15, so they have pick 1 "Rayner" , then a talented forward who could run through the midfield wanting to come to them, for pick 12 and then pick 15 Zac Bailey. I'm sure Brisbane would have loved to pay less but it wasn't out of the realms of reality that they paid pick 12 for a contracted player at 22 who had starred in a big final.

CEY, on the other hand, is a big-bodied mid coming out of contract whom if he gets a half decent offer, can walk for nothing. He will either be a DFA or picked up with a pre season draft if they have one. I'd like him to get the club a pick but I just don't see it happening, anyone offers him some cash we won't stand in his way, if we try to force a trade, the other team will just sit back with its arms folded

Let's not rewrite history. Charlie was a player that spent most of the year teetering on being dropped. Most thought we'd make him stay as a contracted player unless Brisbane coughed up a decent pick. I don't think many thought that would ACTUALLY happen.

LOL

A pick in the low 30's.. the more you wabbit on about the Crouchs' the more deranged you look.

I genuinely don't think I've seen as grudge last as long as this. It is absolutely impossible that he doesn't actually know the Crouchs, and somehow feel hard done by something they've done.

Last edited:
Let's not rewrite history. Charlie was a player that spent most of the year teetering on being dropped. Most thought we'd make him stay as a contracted player unless Brisbane coughed up a decent pick. I don't think many thought that would ACTUALLY happen.

So he wasn't a contracted player who had just kicked 5 in a prelim because that was what I said.

As to the rest of it, the discussion was whether we'd get Ports priority or Brisbanes second rounder, which was 20 because the opinion was, I can see pick 20 not pick 12 and what I am pointing out is that prelim drove the price up.

Hope yes, consider it possible no.

For all the cries of 'this club isn't ruthless enough' every time David Mackay strides onto the field, or when we redrafted an undeserving Nick Joyce, or carried a clearly past it Andy Otten an extra two years out of loyalty, people here sure are squeamish when that ruthlessness must be applied in kind to the forum's pet legend.

The thing with Nick Joyce was he had a contract. We would've been paying him anyway. So why pay a salary to him AND a new guy, when neither were likely to play.

It's the same 'game' that teams like Collingwood (with Adam Oxley this year, and previously with Lachie Keefe & Josh Thomas on suspension), Hawthorn (Dallas Willsmore), West Coast (Fraser McInness) do as well. Brisbane (Claye Beams). There's NUMEROUS examples every year.

How's the loyalty that Sydney have shown to Alex Johnson? Or Hawthorn to Brendan Whitecross?

If B.Crouch was to be traded, maybe it would be for a similar price to Jaeger O'Meara - who was in a similar place to Brad - couldn't stay on the park.

The main piece in that puzzle. Pick 10. And a future 2nd rounder.

I genuinely don't think I've seen as grudge last as long as this. It is absolutely impossible that he doesn't actually know the Crouchs, and somehow feel hard done by something they've done.
I keep thinking he is the fat brother left at home by the recruiters

On paper maybe. He doesnt play like that though. I would still prefer Barlow to CEY don't get me wrong, but Barlow wouldn't be my answer to a Cripps or a JPK coal face type mid. CEY isn't a bad lite version of that type of mid.

CEY is one of the biggest midfield liabilities I have seen in my time. Decent to good at the coal face, but literally offers nothing else. Even Thommo was better on the spread and gets involved around the ground more. His impact while up forward, while he's capable, is limited and take the rare grab (unlike Greenwood for example, who we've frustratingly used forward too much of late).

We'd be best to cut our losses with CEY and start to give those games to someone like Poholke and new draftees.

Last edited:
You are completely out of your mind. Even getting a pick in the 30s from Sydney or Hawthorn would take all kinds of sweet talking, and it would come purely from their own self belief in being able to turn around any hopeless case. Offloading his contract and using the money and the spot on someone better is far and away the best option at this point.

Did you see what Hawks gave up for a supposedly "cooked" JOM?! Brad was supposed to be, and has showed he was not far behind JOM in terms of talent, if not just as talented.

And you want to trade Brad for a pick in the 30s. You hold onto a talent like Brad for a measly pick 30-30 11 times out of 10.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Let's be honest, there aren't many players who shouldn't at least be considered for trade, should the price be high enough.

Talia, Laird, Smith, Doedee, Sloane, M. Crouch, Gibbs plus the talent of Milera and Fogarty should all be untouchable.

We need to start moving a few of our more injury-prone players on too - I'm sick of the same players being on the injury list year after year (B. Crouch, Knight, McGovern, Cheney, Otten, Keath, Seedsman).

Ahh yes, the annual "lets trade all of our AFL quality depth" post. We will just hope to stumble into the top 4 with about 23 senior players who are experienced and proven at AFL level.

The only one who should potentially be gone from that list is Otten. We would do well to try and get something from GC or Carlton who could actually do with a solid and reliable KPD option.

What would it take to get Neale from Freo?

Outside of him being from SA, why would you bother?

Sure he's a good inside midfielder, but he's short and pretty slow which is most certainly not a need for us. We have Matt Crouch which is our quota in short inside midfielders.

If we are going to grab another inside midfielder (and I'm not against this at all), he has to be very big (188cms+ with potential to be 90kg+).

Ahh yes, the annual "lets trade all of our AFL quality depth" post. We will just hope to stumble into the top 4 with about 23 senior players who are experienced and proven at AFL level.

The only one who should potentially be gone from that list is Otten. We would do well to try and get something from GC or Carlton who could actually do with a solid and reliable KPD option.
Sam Collins is the best Mature aged KPD outside of the AFL, I'd like to draft him with a later pick and pursue Saints rookie Ruckman Lewis Pearce who's out of contract at season's end...probably got a bit harder after he had the better of Tom Bellchambers on the weekend but the Saints have too many Ruckman at this point to guarantee him AFL game time unless they move someone on.

If a club approached Adelaide looking to trade someone like O'meara for a pick in the 30's, I'd jump on it in an instant.
I hope the rabbit game continues, as every time he starts a crusade, that bloke seems to have a breakout year (See AA Matt Crouch last year, Milera this year).

Sam Collins is the best Mature aged KPD outside of the AFL, I'd like to draft him with a later pick and pursue Saints rookie Ruckman Lewis Pearce who's out of contract at season's end...probably got a bit harder after he had the better of Tom Bellchambers on the weekend but the Saints have too many Ruckman at this point to guarantee him AFL game time unless they move someone on.
Your suggestion might have even more merit if it is true that St Kilda are chasing Scott Lycett

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...bid-to-lure-eagle-lycett-20180809-p4zwlj.html

There's a first year player on our list who fits that profile who was a very good midfielder at junior level.

I would say that first year player is much more suited as a forward, despite myself being intrigued if he could make the switch at a higher level.

The thing with Nick Joyce was he had a contract. We would've been paying him anyway. So why pay a salary to him AND a new guy, when neither were likely to play.

It's the same 'game' that teams like Collingwood (with Adam Oxley this year, and previously with Lachie Keefe & Josh Thomas on suspension), Hawthorn (Dallas Willsmore), West Coast (Fraser McInness) do as well. Brisbane (Claye Beams). There's NUMEROUS examples every year.

How's the loyalty that Sydney have shown to Alex Johnson? Or Hawthorn to Brendan Whitecross?

If B.Crouch was to be traded, maybe it would be for a similar price to Jaeger O'Meara - who was in a similar place to Brad - couldn't stay on the park.

The main piece in that puzzle. Pick 10. And a future 2nd rounder.
Yep I said he's worth around 10-15 but more to us

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back