Training Training reports 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

The game has changed.

Chom was handy up there, but hardly Wayne Carey.

I'd say a big majority of tall forwards are useless lumps outside of the 5-6 moments a game where their height and size is actually required.

They get run off by running defenders, don't have the pace and agility to put on legitimate pressure and often don't have dynamic movement in the forward line and provide very little in the way of score involvements and score creation acts.

The hybrid medium forward who can take contested marks and move up and back to the wing is way more valuable in the modern game.

You can afford 1 genuine gun tall, but not 2-3 anymore especially if they are immobile battlers. The land of the giants is over and most sides that employ that setup get murdered by score launches from half back.

We've hoarded these types in recent years, I'd say we have the biggest abundance in the league of young medium forwards at the moment.

I'm 100% certain the long term intention is to sit Larkey at FF and surround him with a gun medium forward fleet of Duursma, George, Sheezel, Ford, Zurhaar, Curtis etc. Sheezel, Ford, Zurhaar as the high half forwards and George, Duursma, Curtis as the deeper goal kicking options.

All nightmare matchups that can beat alot of key defenders in the air, as well as small defenders on the ground.
Your reputation precedes you here so I'm gonna go into this with caution, but you know Comben is one of our most explosive players, yeah? The game's changed in his favour. His set shot technique is abysmal but everything else he does fits the modern game to a t

conceptually I have no issue with moving a player anywhere really.

However:

Established
Corr - KPD
Logue - KPD (injured)

New
Pink - KPD
Biggie - KPD
Dawson - KPD

Existing not established
Dawson - KPD (extended)
Chom - KPD (Moved)

that is a hell of a focus on bridging a gap on losing a single player while leaving us thin for KPFs.

While I get the whole small ball, 1 tall surrounded by mediums and smalls, We are asking a lot of Larkey and of a midfield that has spent decades dump kicking the ball forward.

Not saying it won't work but, seems like a lot of eggs in one basket.
IMG_5040.gif

conceptually I have no issue with moving a player anywhere really.

However:

Established
Corr - KPD
Logue - KPD (injured)

New
Pink - KPD
Biggie - KPD
Dawson - KPD

Existing not established
Dawson - KPD (extended)
Chom - KPD (Moved)

that is a hell of a focus on bridging a gap on losing a single player while leaving us thin for KPFs.

While I get the whole small ball, 1 tall surrounded by mediums and smalls, We are asking a lot of Larkey and of a midfield that has spent decades dump kicking the ball forward.

Not saying it won't work but, seems like a lot of eggs in one basket.

Realistically Dawson is a utility, Chom can go forward and Goad is a forward so it a while off but it’s not all defenders

Can't see us going with just X in the ruck with no relief ruck option. CCJ has to be in as that 2nd forward/2nd ruck. Or Biggie, or Finnbar as you mentioned if CCJ is a total bust.

I wouldn't rule out W. Dawson getting 6-10 games playing that role just to give him a taste. Can't see him cracking it for a key defender role next year but maybe his youthful exuberance could be used to bust a few packs open up forward.
Hugh has worked well for us as a backup ruck

We are one Larkey injury away from having no forward line. He was third in the Coleman, in a team that had the second lowest points for. He needs help.
We need scoring power, which is why for me Chom has to play forward in his natural role.
coaching staff seem to me to be backing in CCJ to be that player

i know ziebs spoke highly of him also when he was on radio recently

Your reputation precedes you here so I'm gonna go into this with caution, but you know Comben is one of our most explosive players, yeah? The game's changed in his favour. His set shot technique is abysmal but everything else he does fits the modern game to a t

I’d describe Charlie as a “good mover”

He’s nowhere near the most explosive player on our list though given what we have drafted the last few years.

It’s Wardlaw in just about every metric possible, then clear daylight to a group of LDU, Goater, McKercher, Duursma, George and probably even Goad.

Put it this way, someone like Duursma is faster, more agile and can take the ball at the same height in a marking contest despite being about 6” shorter.

Wardlaw in just about every power test possible makes Chom look like Bread McKenzie. George is quicker than LDU over 5,10,20m and has a similar relative vertical leap to Nic Natanui, oh and he’s freakishly strong.

I’d describe Charlie as a “good mover”

He’s nowhere near the most explosive player on our list though given what we have drafted the last few years.

It’s Wardlaw in just about every metric possible, then clear daylight to a group of LDU, Goater, McKercher, Duursma, George and probably even Goad.

Put it this way, someone like Duursma is faster, more agile and can take the ball at the same height in a marking contest despite being about 6” shorter.

Wardlaw in just about every power test possible makes Chom look like Bread McKenzie. George is quicker than LDU over 5,10,20m and has a similar relative vertical leap to Nic Natanui, oh and he’s freakishly strong.
I'm going to have to disagree with some of that, even though my opinion probably wouldn't hold a candle to yours in a court of law.

Charlie's natural aggression combined with his physical attributes sees him move like a freight train during games. There aren't many that are more keen to succeed. I laughed with disbelief multiple times watching him go at it last season. He obviously doesn't test as well according to your information, but he hits another gear in games.

Providing he gets himself a tank that allows him to stay out there (not necessarily at Larkey's level, just one that means he isn't dry heaving halfway through the fourth quarter), I wouldn't have any defensive/immobility qualms about playing him in tandem with Larkey. CCJ is an entirely different proposition, and much more akin to your assessment of lumbering oafs that are going out of fashion. Even though I think a team like Collingwood would find a valuable use for him.

Comben having an injury-free season at centre half forward would be shockingly close to the top of my Christmas wishlist. He may yet prove that faith to be misguided, but that's where it's at for me at the moment. Final observation is that if all those aforementioned are as explosive as you say they are (I'd also add Zurhaar to that list), then it'd take a nuclear war to prevent the team from lifting itself out of the bottom two

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We are one Larkey injury away from having no forward line. He was third in the Coleman, in a team that had the second lowest points for. He needs help. We need scoring power, which is why for me Chom has to play forward in his natural role.
If it's about scoring power then Duursma and George would likely kick more goals than Comben. Comben threw himself around and provided good pressure but he wasn't the most accurate. I don't mind trialing Chom in a new role, it will give him versatility long term like a Roughead who could be thrown anywhere from back/fwd/ruck. If it doesn't work the coaches can move him forward when Logue comes back.

Collingwood won a premiership on the back of them running up and down the ground for longer and faster than anyone else.… and having no s**t kickers. Pretty much the opposite to what we got.

Sheezel looks in ripping shape for the preseason.

GAo1tI4bAAAwyT5

View attachment 1867103

Add Frampton and that’s a premiership forward line.

Where Chom plays is the least of our concerns, learning to defend all over the ground and better ball movement will improve us more than anything.
Frampton is useless, did nothing to help them forward. Or back.
The big hole in their forward line was McStay. He's no Carey but he's a decent KPF. But they need him, like we need them too.

They only won by 4 points, and it took the game of his life from Hill to get them the flag.

We are one Larkey injury away from having no forward line. He was third in the Coleman, in a team that had the second lowest points for. He needs help.
We need scoring power, which is why for me Chom has to play forward in his natural role.
You can’t set up a team with players playing where they are not currently needed in case someone gets injured. Nick may get injured in which case there are wholesale changes. I think forward line will function very differently this year. It will be a lot of leading players and hopefully we have a few midfielders who can deliver to target now.

You can’t set up a team with players playing where they are not currently needed in case someone gets injured. Nick may get injured in which case there are wholesale changes. I think forward line will function very differently this year. It will be a lot of leading players and hopefully we have a few midfielders who can deliver to target now.
who are our forwards besides Larkey and Chom that can take a contested mark?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back