Goo Trent Cotchin retires, the equal most successful captain of the modern era.

Remove this Banner Ad

Good to see this thread has been moved to the Bay where it belongs.
Lol at OP

images

Youtube link or timestamp on Kayo?
Hope this works dmt? Even after 20+ years on this site I'm still a techno-hack.

Probably lacks a bit of context on the re-watch. Setting the scene is pretty important - early in a grand final where it wasn't known that the Giants, with guns like Cameron, Greene, Taylor, Taranto, Kelly, Coniglio, Whitfield etc, would buckle so dramatically after quarter time. It was a very important moment, especially considering the media build-up all week on Mumford's role [Note, the free kick afterwards is against Prestia, not the Cotch tackle]

So ?

Terry Wallace admitted Richmond tanked In 2004 and passed on Buddy twice (for Deledio and Tambling)

Also overlooking Pavlich for Fiora was extremely embarrassing too
Try again. Terry Wallace wasn't coach of Richmond in 2004.

And he never said Richmond tanked. His exact words were he "felt compromised", which most likely eluded to those other clubs who he suspected were tanking.

Who gives a bugger about Wallace anyway. He failed.

What an immature way to start a thread that should be a celebration of a champion player.
100%.
Instead of a post paying tribute to the great man he starts off with a pissing contest.

Anyway I’ll try.

Our greatest ever captain.
Played a pivotal role in changing our club off the field and a major role in changing us on the field from a basket case to a dynasty.
Was team first from late 2016 onwards.
A pleasure to see him play and achieve so much success both individually and as a team.
Congratulations on a stellar career Cotch.

Correlation does not equate to causation, however it is a fact that in the last 30 years, no captain has lead a team to more premierships than Trent Cotchin

Infact, you have to go back to Michael Tuck, Dick Reynolds, and Syd Coventry to find one that has captained more

Now I am sure the usual suspects will try and derail this thread with the usual garbage, but facts are facts.

Trent inherited a basket case of a club, was made captain at 22 yrs old, and changed the club transformed it in fact to win 3 flags

Statistically the best most succesful captain of the AFL era.
What a terrible way to start a thread that should be about celebrating Cotch’s great career.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kevin Bartlett, Royce Hart, Dick Clay and the families of Jack Dyer and Skinny Titus should feel insulted by that.

It's actually pretty disrespectful to the history of the Richmond club and your club legends for Mini to say that.

More clarity and appropriate perspective required.
let me shed some light, Cotchin came in a brought the club up with him from a dark place.
Richmond was struggling for years on end, but through his will he made the team a better team.
Yes, he learned some hard truths about himself along the way and then found himself, that in itself makes for a better story.
All those players you mentioned would be proud of what Cotchin had achieved.
It's easy to step into a champion team and play well, it's much harder to create a champion team.

I won't remember Trent as a captain or player. Not really great enough to stand out.

However, I will remember him as having the fortitude to push back against Hardwick's selfishness.

The Cotchins stood by the real Mrs Hardwick during her husband's deceitful adultery as he abandoned his family.

Cheers Trent and Brooke.
Show some Character,:p get it!

None of that is to do with culture.

They're about brand.

The culture at Richmond during this time was unsurpassed.

Thanks for dropping in thought Kane.

Oh no, that's all culture - or symptom of culture.

Clubs with good cultures don't have players that bring the club into disrepute through selfish/illegal actions

Clubs with good culture don't allow sexual harassment of team mates etc

Pitty a thread about Cotchin's retirement becomes a bay 13 internet shitfest.

It's fine if this is the standard, but please admins don't cry foul next time some other player retires and no respect is shown.

Pitty a thread about Cotchin's retirement becomes a bay 13 internet shitfest.

It's fine if this is the standard, but please admins don't cry foul next time some other player retires and no respect is shown.

Funny that, given you Richmond flogs ruined the mainboard Lance Franklin retirement thread by making it all about Dusty.

Hope you Tiger flogs learnt a valuable lesson in all of this (alas not holding my breath)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back