News Two more changes: Saunders (fitness) gone, Hurley New Football Operations Manager ...

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep. Jacobs has one blemish against his record with ditching the reserves for that final. Thompson went and coached at Port. I know what I think is worse. We're going to need to thoroughly delouse Thommo before they allow him back inside the walls.

Thommo working a part time role with the womens team isn't so bad. I thought he might be replacing Younie and I wouldn't be keen on that.

Personally, I don't have an issue with the club rewarding ex-greats jobs in non-key roles. We should be looking to support our ex-players as we can, especially ones who've provided upwards of 10 years of service.

The issue I have is when we're shoehorning them into assistant coaches roles, as head of football or high performance managers before their time and ahead of more qualified applicants. These are pointy end roles that you have to get right, there's no room for sentimentality here.

Development roles that pay bottom dollar? Yeah, happy to give some ex players a start through these roles.

Personally, I don't have an issue with the club rewarding ex-greats jobs in non-key roles. We should be looking to support our ex-players as we can, especially ones who've provided upwards of 10 years of service.

The issue I have is when we're shoehorning them into assistant coaches roles, as head of football or high performance managers before their time and ahead of more qualified applicants. These are pointy end roles that you have to get right, there's no room for sentimentality here.

Development roles that pay bottom dollar? Yeah, happy to give some ex players a start through these roles.
I agree and it's why I didn't sook about Wright and Reilly being given development roles despite being very anti - boys club over the years. I have no issues with the club using those junior development positions to sort the wheat from the chaff because we're bound to have a few of our ex-players actually turn out to be decent coaches. Law of averages.

I would still like to see a healthy mix though. If it were up to me I'd probably have a couple more non-ex Crows players in the current mix.

I wonder how McLeod fits in

Did he walk or was he sacked?

Because it seems his position has been filled by one ex-crow and a position he seemed to want** was given to another

** given his club engagement comments

Development roles are absolutely critical in clubs.

Don't develop your players right and it doesn't matter how well you draft, just look at Carlton and how they fail to develop so many high draft picks.

These are absolutely not roles we can afford to give out as party favors.

We don't owe these ex players anything, we paid them hundreds of thousands of dollars to play for us and now that is done they should earn a position on merit like everyone else.

Development roles are absolutely critical in clubs.

Don't develop your players right and it doesn't matter how well you draft, just look at Carlton and how they fail to develop so many high draft picks.

These are absolutely not roles we can afford to give out as party favors.

We don't owe these ex players anything, we paid them hundreds of thousands of dollars to play for us and now that is done they should earn a position on merit like everyone else.
If development coaches are so absolutely critical, why are they so affordable? Shouldn't they be on big coin? Why are they considered junior positions within the industry?

I've always assumed the program to develop our younger players would be developed primarily by the senior coaching group. Development coaches are still important as they need to act as a conduit between senior coaches and the younger players but they aren't the architects of the program itself.

If development coaches are so absolutely critical, why are they so affordable? Shouldn't they be on big coin? Why are they considered junior positions within the industry?

Why were grocery store workers considered critical workers and made to work through lockdowns while investment bankers got to stay home?

It highlights that how much someone gets paid doesn't always align with their contribution.

You just think it's bullshit because it made your argument look silly.
No I think it's bullshit because it's bullshit. Supermarket workers get paid like s**t because their skill set is easily attainable. It's simple supply and demand. The same is true for development coaches albeit to a lesser extent.

No I think it's bullshit because it's bullshit. Supermarket workers get paid like sh*t because their skill set is easily attainable. It's simple supply and demand. The same is true for development coaches albeit to a lesser extent.

So if we look at it as supply and demand. There are a lot of ex-football players looking for coaching roles but there are comparatively few entry level roles like a development coach available.

That doesn't say anything about it being an 'easy' job, just that there is a surplus of people willing to take low pay to get their foot in the door to move up to other, higher paying, positions.

Last edited:
So if we look at it as supply and demand. There is a lot of ex-football players looking for coaching roles but there are comparatively few entry level roles like a development coach available.

That doesn't say anything about it being an 'easy' job, just that there is a surplus of people willing to take low pay to get their foot in the door to move up to other, higher paying, positions.
I get these are highly sort after positions but they're still junior roles relative to their industry. These guys dont take less money to get their foot in the door. A lot of the time they're recent retirees with no previous coaching experience. This is why you have senior coaches dictating how the club wants to develop its players. The development coaches just implement their ideas.

If the development is bad at your club, that speaks to the quality of recruitment and the senior coaches ability to nuture talent more than anything else.

I get these are highly sort after positions but they're still junior roles relative to their industry. These guys dont take less money to get their foot in the door. A lot of the time they're recent retirees with no previous coaching experience. This is why you have senior coaches dictating how the club wants to develop its players. The development coaches just implement their ideas.

If the development is bad at your club, that speaks to the quality of recruitment and the senior coaches ability to nuture talent more than anything else.

Junior positions are where most of the work gets done in any organization. If those people are poor than all the high paid management in the world aren't going to have that company working well.

You're just trying to make an excuse for this boys club pick by claiming the role doesn't matter.

Yep. Jacobs has one blemish against his record with ditching the reserves for that final. Thompson went and coached at Port. I know what I think is worse. We're going to need to thoroughly delouse Thommo before they allow him back inside the walls.

Thommo working a part time role with the womens team isn't so bad. I thought he might be replacing Younie and I wouldn't be keen on that.

I actually did not know what Thompson's role was! I feel a little better now, but still too close to home. Jacobs role is nowhere near the coaching panel. I don't get our obsession with offering every ex-player a role in the football dept (even when not qualified or not even competent in their role) yet our champions seem to be shunned from the club!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Junior positions are where most of the work gets done in any organization. If those people are poor than all the high paid management in the world aren't going to have that company working well.
Sure mate. Its guys like Wright, and a recently demoted Brent Reilly that do all the actual work. Heirachy does not exist. Lol.

You're just trying to make an excuse for this boys club pick by claiming the role doesn't matter.
Reading is hard.

"I would still like to see a healthy mix though. If it were up to me I'd probably have a couple more non-ex Crows players in the current mix" -
Mr Moogle

Last edited:
I actually did not know what Thompson's role was! I feel a little better now, but still too close to home. Jacobs role is nowhere near the coaching panel. I don't get our obsession with offering every ex-player a role in the football dept (even when not qualified or not even competent in their role) yet our champions seem to be shunned from the club!!
I think the champions being shunned thing is more of a social issue the club has. They run it like a business instead of a footy club. It doesn't feel like a home these guys can go back to and that's a really shameful indictment on the club.

I think the champions being shunned thing is more of a social issue the club has. They run it like a business instead of a footy club. It doesn't feel like a home these guys can go back to and that's a really shameful indictment on the club.

They don't run it like a business. A well run business doesn't give jobs to mates just because they're mates.

They run it like it's their own personal ATM

They don't run it like a business. A well run business doesn't give jobs to mates just because they're mates.

They run it like it's their own personal ATM

Mark Ricciuto and Friends Football Club

Marco Bello replacing Younie, a familiar name to all SA footy fans.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back