UFC 195 - Lawler vs Condit

Remove this Banner Ad

Totally deserved it. Incoming strikeforce champ who was originally slated to fight GSP, then battered the **** out of Penn and then in many peoples minds beat Condit in a controversial division. From a business perspective it was also the money fight at the time. Besides who said anything about a title shot? Diaz and Condit was and would be again an entertaining and competitive fight.
A decision against a past it BJ Penn that didn't belong at 170. It was a fluff fight to give nick diaz some credibility. He beat a bunch of no names in Strikeforce. It wasn't like the middleweight division over there.

Peoples or Nate Diaz? His brother told him he won, but he clearly did not. He thinks moving forward beats significant fights. If he wasn't stubborn he'd learn some better footwork so that he could cut people off and create more pressure.

He's had 0 good wins in his career. Lawler looks good now, but he wasn't back then.

I had Condit 48-47 as well but need to watch it from a scoring point of view only because i got lost in a lot of it because of how amazing a fight it was, i'd pay $50 to watch them play tiddlywinks what a ridiculous fight.

On first thought i said "there was no wrong decision" because of how close and brutal it was and yes, Condit landed more shots than Robbie threw but that doesnt always mean alot.

Four other points
- Give Stipe the next shot or else
- That McDonald sub reversal was so pretty
- Brian Ortega might be my new favourite
- Dober v Holtzman was a war
Ortega was awesome. Those submission transitions :eek:

If he improves his stand up some more (no slouch), he could be a real handful. Him versus Olivera would be interesting.

A decision against a past it BJ Penn that didn't belong at 170. It was a fluff fight to give nick diaz some credibility. He beat a bunch of no names in Strikeforce. It wasn't like the middleweight division over there.

Peoples or Nate Diaz? His brother told him he won, but he clearly did not. He thinks moving forward beats significant fights. If he wasn't stubborn he'd learn some better footwork so that he could cut people off and create more pressure.

He's had 0 good wins in his career. Lawler looks good now, but he wasn't back then.

Obviously not a Diaz fan. I'm pretty neutral when it comes to the Diaz bros, but there is a reason they have such a following. As for suggesting that his brother is the only one who thinks he won - You're either talking complete rubbish (which is pretty likely) or are pretty ignorant. Go on to any youtube vid about Diaz/Diaz vs Condit and count the "Diaz 1,3,5" comments. BJ should not have been at 170, but he shouldn't have been at HW against Machida either. That's just what BJ does. Writing that fight off as just a decision is laughable. BJ got completely destroyed and was re granted the title shot off of the back of that fight - only fighting CC because GSP did his knee. Nobody prior to the GSP injury thought Nick didn't deserve the title shot then, so suggesting he didn't deserve to fight GSP is just, well, nonsense. I watch a lot of fights at my local and have never seen the place as packed as it was for the Diaz/GSP fight. Clearly, plenty of people wanted to see that fight.

You might not like the Diaz's which is fair enough, plenty of people don't, but don't let it derail your common sense mate.

Watched the third round of the main event a second time and still don't get how they scored it for Lawler. Condit controlled about 4 minutes of it with kicks and range strikes, while Lawler's 45 seconds or so of activity had both guys landing big shots. 48-47 Condit was the only logical outcome of that fight for me. Hopefully they get to do it again if Condit decides against retiring.

Miocic is a beast and while I'd have liked to see Arlovski continue his career resurgence, I knew Stipe had his measure. Didn't think it would happen quite that quickly though. I think he's the logical contender for the Werdum/Cain fight up next and I think he's a good shot to win against whoever holds the strap.

Tumenov and Larkin was a great fight. Albert's hands were fantastic, but the longer Larkin stayed in the fight the better he got with his kicks. I thought Tumenov deserved to get the nod in the end and hope to see him get a top 10 guy up next. I'd like to see how he does against a good grappler like LaFlare.

Ortega impressed me with his toughness and I thought he looked absolutely massive next to Brandao in that fight! Diego has a high level ground game, so to chain together three different chokes like that and finish was super impressive. I thought Brandao would be able to hold his own on the mat and have and advantage in the stand up, but obviously underestimated Ortega's ground skills. Like Tumenov he needs a step up in competition. Someone earlier in the thread mentioned Oliveira which would be a great fight, but I think Charles likely gets a higher ranked opponent next. I think a guy like Kawajiri with his smothering top game would be an intersting test for Ortega.

Sims and Trujillo was playing out exactly like I thought it would prior to Sims leaving his neck out there to get choked. Trujillo just looks strong, so I'm not at all surprised he's got the kind of squeeze to make someone tap without having the body wrapped up.

McDonald's sub escape to sub attempt was brilliant, but he was getting dominated in that fight. Needs to sure up his grappling game if he hopes to get back near the top of the rankings.

the thing with Robbie is dont want to say he has been lucky cause he is an amazing fighter, but I didnt have him winning either of the Hendricks fights or this one. im not as upset as the intial shock I guess cause it could be worse could be like Henderson's reign at 155, now that was crap. the judging needs to change but wont and this is a prime example there no distintion between a close round and a clear round. Robbie got through by the last round but the swing round was prob the third. you cant use the you got to beat the champ BS cause that is BS and Hendricks would still be king if that was the case. you cant use condit's how many stikes thrown cause thats crap too he did land sweet. for me it was robbie and to finish the fight to get through condit was just way to effective through out the whole 25 mins. then the end great fight id like to see the rematch, i hope condit dont retire but at the end of the day I wouldnt blame him either

which card is that judge that scews it up all the time omoto or something like that. and the ufc take him everywhere
not sure mate got it off twitter. but there seems to be some shocking judges decisions in the ufc lately. I don't know if its shocking judgement or something more sinister

Yeah, beating Edgar twice, tooling Nate Diaz and then beating Melendez is an awful reign. :rolleyes:
yeah and I think the edgar results were wrong and Melendez the only clear winnier he had was against Nate. but its the way he did it at least Robbie goes all out in the last round. just saying it doesnt feel as much of a robery as when he was at the helm at 155

I thought condit as usual threw a lot especially with his usual 4 punch/kick blitz but didn't land too many shots. Decision could have gone either way but Lawler worked him late which may have swayed the judges.

Another deserved re- match for mine though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Obviously not a Diaz fan. I'm pretty neutral when it comes to the Diaz bros, but there is a reason they have such a following. As for suggesting that his brother is the only one who thinks he won - You're either talking complete rubbish (which is pretty likely) or are pretty ignorant. Go on to any youtube vid about Diaz/Diaz vs Condit and count the "Diaz 1,3,5" comments. BJ should not have been at 170, but he shouldn't have been at HW against Machida either. That's just what BJ does. Writing that fight off as just a decision is laughable. BJ got completely destroyed and was re granted the title shot off of the back of that fight - only fighting CC because GSP did his knee. Nobody prior to the GSP injury thought Nick didn't deserve the title shot then, so suggesting he didn't deserve to fight GSP is just, well, nonsense. I watch a lot of fights at my local and have never seen the place as packed as it was for the Diaz/GSP fight. Clearly, plenty of people wanted to see that fight.

You might not like the Diaz's which is fair enough, plenty of people don't, but don't let it derail your common sense mate.
That can all be written off as Diaz calling GSP out and pissing him off. Everyone loves GSP = people tune in to see him shut Diaz up. Same thing happens with McGregor now. You don't like them and the emotion means you have more of an interest.

Youtube comments...haha. Any neutral had that for Condit. Nick diaz has never lost a fight! it's all a conspiracy when he does!

Yes BJ Penn is a fighter and hats off to him for always stepping up. However, he was well past his peak at that point. It wasn't the late 2000's and it caught up with him.

Nate's record speaks for itself. He's fought bums. I have no ill feelings towards the diaz brothers. Sure they're idiots, but their gangster thug s**t gets them fights they should never get so it works. Case in point - calling out Conor. The crowd wants it and it's a viable option.

Nate certainly hasnt fought bums lol you could argue his fought tougher competition than Nick.

Agreed, he's fought a hell of a lot of top guys. Dos Anjos, Henderson, Maynard x2, Thomson, Miller, Cerrone, Gomi, MacDonald, Stun Gun, Stevenson, Gamburyan. They share about 20 title fights between them.

Im really 50/50 on this one
I guess its a title fight and at no point should you be up on the score cards because of who you are, its like getting a couple of goals head start in the GF cause you were minor premiers. I think fight should be able to go the the judges and we should be able to get a decent result. close fights are always going to be a heart break. the main issue is the scoring three rounds that were so close could of gone either way can get you over the line regardless of the other two rounds. I think we saw this today as well where the robbie rounds were alot closer than the condit rounds. round 2 I got questions over too, carlos worked him that round and that power punch, i just dont think a couple of heavy strikes should out weigh 4 mins of work and out put

Without talking trough my pocket too much (I had Condit in the last leg of a multi) I cannot see how Lawler wins 3 rounds.

My only worry was late in the last, where Condit was able to avoid being KO'd.

Round 2 is Robbies, the Knockdown is the swing vote for mine. Round 5 probably Robbie, i was honestly pretty surprised when i saw the stats that Carlos had more total strikes in Round 5, wither way i think Robbie did more damage, even on replay round 5 is edge of your seat, heart stopping stuff. That makes is 48-47 Condit still.

The "champ rule" is a tough one, i think that in order to win a title you need a clear cut win and although a 48-47 win is a win its tricky... I dont know, i have no answer to that.

I feel for Condit, interim champ couldnt quite knock off GSP then this. Heartbreaking for the man.

Round 2 is Robbies, the Knockdown is the swing vote for mine. Round 5 probably Robbie, i was honestly pretty surprised when i saw the stats that Carlos had more total strikes in Round 5, wither way i think Robbie did more damage, even on replay round 5 is edge of your seat, heart stopping stuff. That makes is 48-47 Condit still.

The "champ rule" is a tough one, i think that in order to win a title you need a clear cut win and although a 48-47 win is a win its tricky... I dont know, i have no answer to that.

I feel for Condit, interim champ couldnt quite knock off GSP then this. Heartbreaking for the man.
Yep. Watched round three again. Condit landed double the amount Lawler did and pressed the action. Mind boggling to be honest.

Stuff Woodley. Line condit and lawler back up for ufc 200.

Stuff Woodley. Line condit and lawler back up for ufc 200.

While I'd like to see them go at it again, I'd feel bad for Woodley if they did. He was promised next shot, so to be passed over for a guy he's already beaten for a second time would have to suck.

yeah and I think the edgar results were wrong and Melendez the only clear winnier he had was against Nate. but its the way he did it at least Robbie goes all out in the last round. just saying it doesnt feel as much of a robery as when he was at the helm at 155

Disputed decisions or not, he won the belt and defended it three times against top level opposition. Certainly doens't make for a "crap" reign.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back