Umpires cancelling other umpires decisions

Remove this Banner Ad

Masto

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 19, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
In the 1st quarter of the Eagles vs Roos game, an umpire made a decision for holding the ball only for a 2nd umpire to come in and say that never happened. He then ruled a bouncedown. I have seen umpires overrule other umpires with a different free kick but I've never an outright cancellation before. I had a look in the rules but couldn't find anything. Does anyone know what the actual rule is on this?

I doubt you'd find a rule regarding it, it's common sense.

The second umpire was in a better position so advised the ball had been kicked.

It's up to the controlling umpire whether they take the advice or not.

I doubt you'd find a rule regarding it, it's common sense.

The second umpire was in a better position so advised the ball had been kicked.

It's up to the controlling umpire whether they take the advice or not.

I'm fairly certain he wasn't the controlling umpire so I'm not sure they were following protocol. Maybe the first umpire already thought he had ample opportunity. But there wasn't even a discussion, it was just 'this is what we are doing'. I've never seen it before so I wouldn't call it common sense - I would call it unusual.

I'm fairly certain he wasn't the controlling umpire so I'm not sure they were following protocol. Maybe the first umpire already thought he had ample opportunity. But there wasn't even a discussion, it was just 'this is what we are doing'. I've never seen it before so I wouldn't call it common sense - I would call it unusual.
By controlling umpire I mean the one who is on field making the call at the time.

In this case the umpire was going to call HTB but the other ump saw it hit his foot so advised it had happen.

The umpire then decided to take the second umpires advice and they balled up instead.

By controlling umpire I mean the one who is on field making the call at the time.

In this case the umpire was going to call HTB but the other ump saw it hit his foot so advised it had happen.

The umpire then decided to take the second umpires advice and they balled up instead.

The 2nd umpire just made the decision that it wasn't holding the ball and he was the one that balled it up. Again, there was no discussion with the first umpire and the second umpire presumed it was for incorrect disposal when it might have been for longevity of having the ball. I've never seen that before - I think its a bad and messy way of doing things.

The 2nd umpire just made the decision that it wasn't holding the ball and he was the one that balled it up. Again, there was no discussion with the first umpire and the second umpire presumed it was for incorrect disposal when it might have been for longevity of having the ball. I've never seen that before - I think its a bad and messy way of doing things.
Would have been worse if the first one called HTB, because he got boot to it.

The thing I found confusing was that play continued on ( as if the ball had been kicked, no free therefore play on) and then they called it back and bounced it up! If it wasn't holding the ball, it should have been play on!?

Some super strange umpiring happening today.

So glad West Coast rarely have Razor Ray umpiring their games.

For all of Razor's faults, he is one umpire who has no hesitation in overruling a decision if it's a mistake.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back