Unpopular Musical Opinions

Remove this Banner Ad

Ok I didn’t know SRV played with Bowie, I’ll give it a burl in the morning and report back

He is credited with lead guitar on the "Let's Dance" Album.

I'm a Bowie fan but that's the only album I really got into from start to finish.

Nile Rodgers is the other guitarist on the album.

Nile Rodgers is the other guitarist on the album.

There's some moderately obscure song he's part of but I can't for the life of me remember which one.

Could it be Jean Knight - Mr Big Stuff or Sheila and B. Devotion - Spacer?

You might like the guitar work in 'Criminal World'

I did like the guitar and the bass too, whoever that is knows what they’re doing. The music overall was a bit meh.

I’ll give the Stardust album a go, just chucked on a few songs, that’s probably one I should listen all the way through. Not got my hopes up I must admit from my first crack.

EDIT: Carmine Rojas was the bass player, a quick wiki indicates he’s played with probably every great musician of his era, not surprised

I did like the guitar and the bass too, whoever that is knows what they’re doing. The music overall was a bit meh.

I’ll give the Stardust album a go, just chucked on a few songs, that’s probably one I should listen all the way through. Not got my hopes up I must admit from my first crack.

EDIT: Carmine Rojas was the bass player, a quick wiki indicates he’s played with probably every great musician of his era, not surprised

You can tell the difference of the quality from the 'Let's Dance' album to the rest of his albums in terms of the musicianship.

I'm going to assume you really like the song and are too stubborn to admit it lol

What made Bowie's music so great was his chaotic and unpredictable tempo. Listening to Life on Mars and Space Oddity those songs break all the rules. Just when you're expecting the tempo to maintain consistency, it's broken and that chaos is aesthetically pleasing.

Bowie also incorporates many well known techniques from classical composers such as trills, pauses (Can't remember the technical term), missed beats in his music. Moonlight Sonata is the best example of the tempo change and pauses I'm referring to. His music really is epic.

You can tell the difference of the quality from the 'Let's Dance' album to the rest of his albums in terms of the musicianship.

I'm going to assume you really like the song and are too stubborn to admit it lol

It's just something about Bowie I don't warm to, no idea what that is. My metal head mate has told me that Station to Station is his favourite, if this doesn't work I'm done with him!

For the life of me I don't get the hype in certain qrts for the music of Frank Zappa And in spite of his unconventional musical sensibilities I tire quickly when listening to his garbage or people who extol his musical genius
He's a huge pass for me

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For the life of me I don't get the hype in certain qrts for the music of Frank Zappa And in spite of his unconventional musical sensibilities I tire quickly when listening to his garbage or people who extol his musical genius
He's a huge pass for me
Fair call. I have always had mates way into Zappa, I dont like it.
I can certainly appreciate his unbelievable playing and compositional skills,
but the songs are butt, and the silly dumb school boy humor gets real old real quick for me.

What made Bowie's music so great was his chaotic and unpredictable tempo. Listening to Life on Mars and Space Oddity those songs break all the rules. Just when you're expecting the tempo to maintain consistency, it's broken and that chaos is aesthetically pleasing.

Bowie also incorporates many well known techniques from classical composers such as trills, pauses (Can't remember the technical term), missed beats in his music. Moonlight Sonata is the best example of the tempo change and pauses I'm referring to. His music really is epic.
This thread inspired me to listen to Bowie on the bike ride home. Just the hits, but it was some of the lesser played hits like Modern Love, Golden Years, Man Who Sold the World that reminded me of how great he was. And you're right, he has a very unique structure and sound.

This thread inspired me to listen to Bowie on the bike ride home. Just the hits, but it was some of the lesser played hits like Modern Love, Golden Years, Man Who Sold the World that reminded me of how great he was. And you're right, he has a very unique structure and sound.
Modern Love is great

Have thought about this thread a few times recently so glad to see it bumped.

Unpopular opinion, but I think Arcade Fire's 3 most recent albums are good.

Reflektor, Everything Now and WE.

I play them all fairly regularly.
I probably don’t go back to them that often but I agree they are good. Probably WE, then Reflektor, then Everything Now.

That’s probably my favourite, although I can see how some might view it as a bit bloated.
Funeral is a masterpiece, and Neon Bible was my gateway so I'll always rank it right up there.

I really like songs on Reflektor too. Haven't listened to WE in a while but have good memories so might give it another go this afternoon.

I loathe Dire Straits.

I was front and centre when they played Festival Hall in Melbourne back in the day. One of the most boring bands I've ever seen live, on a par with The Clash (who were truly horrible in concert).

I loathe Dire Straits.
Preaching to the choir, brother. Insipid, inauthentic, soulless.

I'm fortunate that I never had the misfortune to be dragged along to see them live. Luckily, nobody I know likes them either.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back