Unpopular Opinions (Wrestling Edition)

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't use social media so I don't see these announcements.

This is apart of the problem. They use social media to try and draw a few extra hundred or so viewers for garbage matches no one cares about - but the thing is the same people who are actively participating with the WWE on social media are the same people already watching. It makes things look even more than they should.

2014 soon after Batista's return he and Alberto Del Rio were exchanging barbs on Twitter. Next episode of Raw, Del Rio interrupts Batista's "Great to be back blah blah blah" face promo. Batista looks baffled and says at least once "I have no issue with you!". Reading the tweets was a complete waste of my time.

2014 soon after Batista's return he and Alberto Del Rio were exchanging barbs on Twitter. Next episode of Raw, Del Rio interrupts Batista's "Great to be back blah blah blah" face promo. Batista looks baffled and says at least once "I have no issue with you!". Reading the tweets was a complete waste of my time.

the whole feud (if you could call it that) was a complete waste of time.

Perhaps not an unpopular opinion as such, but a correction of revisionist history.

People (both inside and outside of WWE) talk as though characters like Mantaur, TL Hopper, The Goon, etc. were being pushed as major players by WWE in the mid-90s, and were a primary reason for the business being in the dumps then. They weren't major players. They were pretty much permanent TV job guys, who didn't even make it to PPV (I think Mantuar was in a Rumble match though). They were pretty insignificant to WWE at the time, and the state of the business overall.

Even other characters like Duke 'The Dumpster' Droese and Jean-Pierre Lafitte ('The Pirate', now known as PCO) were solidly mid-card, and were less silly and gimmicky, with scope to move up, than the aformentioned jobbers.

never heard anyone say they were pushed as major players in WWE. They're just memorable characters because of outlandish/awful gimmicks, and prime examples of bad creative.

Well people often cite them as evidence of where WWE and the business as a whole was at, necessitating things like the Stone Cold character and (on the other side) the NWO, to move away from that silliness, which is misleading.

I will preface this by admitting I marked for the guy.

But I feel Kevin Nash is underrated. Yeah, he didn't sell much in the ring (or for WWE as Champion), but he bridged the gap between the cartoon era and what I call the start the start of the Attitude era (Bash at the Beach '96). Also, I enjoyed his match with Undertaker at WrestleMania 12.

Furthermore, Nash really never got much of a chance to draw when he was WWE Champion. Aside from Shawn and Bret, had PPV matches with Sid (twice) and Mabel.

Also, I enjoyed his match with Undertaker at WrestleMania 12.

One of the better big man matches of all time, and among the better matches of The Undertaker's many WrestleMania bouts.

Furthermore, Nash really never got much of a chance to draw when he was WWE Champion. Aside from Shawn and Bret, had PPV matches with Sid (twice) and Mabel.

They changed a lot of what made him cool and interesting in the first place once he became champion. He became the smiling whitemeat babyface, which wasn't him, and wasn't what fans wanted to see from him, either.

He was never a guy that could carry someone to a good match, especially at that point in his career, so putting him against other giants whose working ability was questionable (Mabel was just 24 years old during that 1995 push) was never going to work. I know they were going for a different feel with his character and matches, but he really needed to work with Shawn, Razor, Bulldog, Bret, Owen, etc. during that title run to get it over properly. Show vulnerability and create affection that way before turning him face (even after he's lost the title), rather than just turning him and saying "he's a big smiling babyface, cheer him now!"

One of the better big man matches of all time, and among the better matches of The Undertaker's many WrestleMania bouts.

They changed a lot of what made him cool and interesting in the first place once he became champion. He became the smiling whitemeat babyface, which wasn't him, and wasn't what fans wanted to see from him, either.

He was never a guy that could carry someone to a good match, especially at that point in his career, so putting him against other giants whose working ability was questionable (Mabel was just 24 years old during that 1995 push) was never going to work. I know they were going for a different feel with his character and matches, but he really needed to work with Shawn, Razor, Bulldog, Bret, Owen, etc. during that title run to get it over properly. Show vulnerability and create affection that way before turning him face (even after he's lost the title), rather than just turning him and saying "he's a big smiling babyface, cheer him now!"

are you on my side, or against?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's rated spot on. Main eventer for best part of a decade but only match people remember without googling is the finger poke.
Shredder.. sure the move sucked balls, most do.
And yer wrong.. Nash is known for tearing his quad, this hurts me. man..
that is how I choose to remember Kevin Nash

Baron Corbin got the short s**t..
Intercontential Champion, sure.. pushed to World title?

He had a match against Bulldog and it sucked balls. Bulldogs only good matches were against guys that could carry him (Bret, Shawn, Owen).

Nash had some memorable matches in the WWF (Hart at SS95, HBK at WMXI & IYH7, UT at WM12) before opting for a massive pay day and semi-retirement at WCW. Nothing in his WCW run is really memorable but his WWF run had some decent matches.

He had a match against Bulldog and it sucked balls. Bulldogs only good matches were against guys that could carry him (Bret, Shawn, Owen).

Nash had some memorable matches in the WWF (Hart at SS95, HBK at WMXI & IYH7, UT at WM12) before opting for a massive pay day and semi-retirement at WCW. Nothing in his WCW run is really memorable but his WWF run had some decent matches.

memorable moments (nWo, ending Goldberg's streak, fingerpoke of doom, Spring Break cannonball etc), but not memorable workrate. I guess you could argue his best WCW matches were early on in the Outsiders/formation of nWo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back