Social Science Unpopular Opinions you have (non-football) Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I mean you're free to dislike homosexuals, black people, old people etc etc, you just need to live with the consequences of that. Probably hard to get along at work, in life or on social media if you hold those views, and you can't claim "free speech" when everyone hangs s**t on you about it.

How dare you be intolerant to my intolerance!1!!1!1!1!!

I dont think anyone should be forced to support a cause directly- tolerance is the only thing that can be reasonably expected. When the Indian cricket team entered one of the grounds someone was giving out hindu religious painted dot but some of the players (respectfully) refused the dot- is that player bigoted? Whats the difference between that and not wanting to wear a pride jumper?

Not sure that you can be both tolerant and refuse to wear a jumper with some bright colours on it. Surely a tolerant person, whilst not directly having to support a clause can put on a pride jumper as a path of least resistance...because, you know, tolerance?

Otherwise they are showing their intolerance, one might say.

Not sure that you can be both tolerant and refuse to wear a jumper with some bright colours on it. Surely a tolerant person, whilst not directly having to support a clause can put on a pride jumper as a path of least resistance...because, you know, tolerance?

In life, people have shown intolerance whether it be apartheid for example. Some people who supported such doctrines now want tolerance shown towards them.

I don't know how you can possible say wearing a symbol like the pride flag doesn't go beyond "tolerance" and into "support". Just because you're not in that community itself? Men would be involved and support the women's rights movement if they participated in a match wouldn't they?

I don't know how you can possible say wearing a symbol like the pride flag doesn't go beyond "tolerance" and into "support". Just because you're not in that community itself? Men would be involved and support the women's rights movement if they participated in a match wouldn't they?
I see you Australian Cricket Team on your badge

What do you think about the Pink Test?

Wearing a pink shirt or a pride jumper doesnt mean support. Its a uniform for work

Does the guy in a Humphrey suit support Furries?

People are thinking too much of a little thing

If you are not specifically against something (ie. tolerant of it) then why make a statement of intolerance by refusing to participate if it causes you no particular harm? All you are doing is providing weaponry for others to expose their bigotry. If you don't especially care one way or the other then where is the issue?

It seems somewhat incongruent for somebody who professes to be tolerant to make a stand against something.

In life, people have shown intolerance whether it be apartheid for example. Some people who supported such doctrines now want tolerance shown towards them.

The religious are the masters of this hypocrisy. They expect tolerance of their beliefs yet demand the rest of us keep our mouths shut if we disagree with them.

What about what the Cairns Taipans in the NBL did?

The NBL did a tiny rainbow decal around the apparel sponsor, which effectively meant that individual players could opt in or opt out of supporting the pride round.

When the Taipans socials got backlash, they made a choice as a team to not participate at all.

Thats in a league with an openly gay player.

In this day and age picking and choosing which bits of the bible you like to not wear a ******* rainbow decal is piss poor IMO.

The religious are the masters of this hypocrisy. They expect tolerance of their beliefs yet demand the rest of us keep our mouths shut if we disagree with them.
Its like free kicks in footy.

Hawks fans pointing out that selwood ducked to obtain a free kick. Geelong fans counter with "what about puopolo diving in the first quarter?".

Religion as a reason for believing in something, ok fair enough, its been around since adam was a boy.
Also of interest was when islam was thrusted into history via 9/11. Muslims became enemy no 1, and you can see why when what happened transpired. To the general eye its all muslims. And there was a wave of dislike or even hatred towards them. But instead of using religion as the reason, people said they don't like islam because of the way it treats and disrespect women.

nek minut tell their mrs to go back to the kitchen.

respect those who have religion in their lives, fair play. they to them, i do me.

The Manly jumper wasn’t even technically a pride jumper let’s not forget.

‘Everyone in League’ – for a one-off match, which they declared was intended “to celebrate diversity and inclusivity”.

I am 'tolerant', I think I'm a lot more than tolerant, but whatever.

I don't think I should have to wear a uniform to advertise it.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think where it gets murky is when in a sporting sense you hold very strong values/opinions, in the name of religion or not. Then when someone playing for or has a past in or history with the team you support is in that part of that group (for example trans), it presents the person with a dilemma. Do they pull up stumps and change teams based on that, or?

There's still a few races that I'm not found of, I wont outline them here but a lot of it stems from childhood issues.

And if it was your uniform, as in the pride jumper?
I do laugh at professional athletes baulking at a pride jumper when they wear every other abomination whichever club they are playing for that week decides to unveil.

And if it was your uniform, as in the pride jumper?
I would choose not to, but if it was a no wear no play, I would.

I don't like the implication someone has to prove they're not racist not homophobia, etc. I think taking part in a game that recognises some sort of social movement or disadvantage should be enough.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I used to work at a place that whenever someone "important" was coming to meet with the CEO or whomever, would demand that everyone in the entire office dress in suits that day.

I used to rail against that.

I used to work at a place that whenever someone "important" was coming to meet with the CEO or whomever, would demand that everyone in the entire office dress in suits that day.

I used to rail against that.

I worked for a Taiwanese company and it was mandatory for ties whenever the head honchos came over. Asian business culture is a lot different to ours though so I'd play along of course, I usually do play along work wise.

Honestly if my company asked me to put my pronouns on my LinkedIn I'd do it, I'm a little cynical about the straight white guys who do but if it's for the greater good I'm ok with it.

I worked for a Taiwanese company and it was mandatory for ties whenever the head honchos came over. Asian business culture is a lot different to ours though so I'd play along of course, I usually do play along work wise.

Honestly if my company asked me to put my pronouns on my LinkedIn I'd do it, I'm a little cynical about the straight white guys who do but if it's for the greater good I'm ok with it.
The idea with putting your pronouns in your email or zoom name or linkedin etc is to normalise providing them.

Means the people who have to provide them to not be misgendered don't stand out, because everyone is doing it by default.

Also makes it easier for people who don't know you to not have to worry about getting it wrong.

True story, issued a new work laptop last year and just downloaded the latest corporate email sig template, put in my deets and away we went.

Didn't notice the pronouns, so I was "she/her" for a week or so!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back