Social Science Unpopular Opinions you have (non-football) Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cricket is still a bit of a toff's game in England. Kind of like rugby here. You don't need to go to private school to play rugby, but most that do, do.

We take most sports here for granted. Cricket, tennis, swimming are just normal Summer sports here. In other places that isn't the case. Even golf isn't prestigious. Sure not everyone can be a member of a club starting with 'Royal' but there are suburban $10 for 9 holes public courses.

I have never been to the UK and have barely met a Pom over here who likes cricket, probably 90% would know Ian Botham and that’s it.

I have never been to the UK and have barely met a Pom over here who likes cricket, probably 90% would know Ian Botham and that’s it.

Depends have met a few backpackers who otherwise are not into Cricket will go sit with the Barmy Army and use it as a travel/social experience.

Also been told cricket over there is more a social sport (hence why they all drink so much) where here it is arguably more elitist where every 2nd hacker here thinks they're the next test superstar and if you don't get on with the captain you're on the outer.

Cricket lends itself to the slacker. A good bit of time playing it is spent standing still or sitting down.
There's more to it than that
https://coupler.foxsports.com.au/ap...deb821fca70ff702db2?__twitter_impression=true
There are fewer things more alpha than batting a fielding side into submission. It’s like cuckolding a reluctant spouse.

Sure, fast bowling is athletic and visually superior, yet there is something agonisingly dominant about absolutely middling a front-foot defence when you’ve been batting for four and a half hours and are on 180*. It says, “I have defeated you. I am better than you. I have completed this game. Cricket? Yep, beaten it. Next.”

In a desperate attempt to “make something happen”, your sixth change, part-time off-spinner will bowl a knee high full toss. The field is spread. You can’t remember the last time your legs didn’t hurt, let alone when you took a wicket. You look over to the dressing rooms to see that no one is padded up. Even the opposition know that a wicket isn’t coming. Their confidence is unbelievable yet somehow understandable. You haven’t beaten the bat since October.

10 years ago the only people that supported City in Australia were migrants from Manchester and their children that would've been put up for adoption for choosing United. They were in the Second Division (3rd tier) in 98/99. It's only since they were taken over by Arab oil money that they've become popular. Ditto PSG. Walk into a Rebel Sport in 2004 and ask for a City/PSG shirt and the staff wouldn't know what you are talking about.

I remember when City was middle of the road in the PL and Tottenham were cellar dwellers. I also remember Portsmouth making the UEFA Cup one year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's all a money game now. For a while United were successful off the back of their 1990s success and growth but they're just another fish in the small pool of clubs competing to break the transfer record each year.

From 1970 until the formation of the PL in 1992 Arsenal, Derby, Leeds, Liverpool, Everton, Nottingham Forest, Aston Villa are the only teams to win the league. Plenty of people who follow the PL would barely have heard of Derby, Leeds and Forest. Won't be long until Villa join that list, and if things keep going as they are Arsenal, Liverpool and Everton will become like Stoke, Southampton etc. now as teams that just hang around the PL to make up the numbers.

I remember when City was middle of the road in the PL and Tottenham were cellar dwellers. I also remember Portsmouth making the UEFA Cup one year.
Leeds were a strong premier league club for a few years at the turn of the millenium IIRC.

This current clothing trend happening at the moment with blokes - short shorts, over sized tshirts and op shop hats looks f***ing ridiculous. Add a beard and a sleeve of tatts and these hipsters become very punchable.

I'm over the whole pink test crap. Why is breast cancer awareness and fundraising so much more important than other cancers?

Ah yes, the pink test. All in the name or raising awareness and money for cancer. Proudly sponsored by KFC..... :huh:

(Cardiovascular disease kills more people in Australia than anything else btw)

And I've definitely been there- ie. invited to the ceremony but not the reception. My high school friend- a good friend actually. Who i was still in touch with. Was extremely shitty and disappointed.

who would do that to guests? obviously that would hurt feelings

Seriously people like that aren't even worth knowing. And if someone did that to me i would not even bother toing to the ceremony. What an Insult.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back