Grand Slam US Open 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Thiem is one of the most unhateable star players in recent memory. Just has it all, the looks, the game, the class, the humility. Doesn't seem to have many prick bones in his body, nor the histrionic dramas.

My nerves tell me that Zverev might be due a slam win against Thiem, and might be the type who wins when he finally gets there, but Thiem's form really gives me no reason to doubt him. If he plays near his level he should take care of business. I expect some chokey moments from both players though.

Either way, Zverev, Thiem and Medvedev are all clearly worthy slam winners, and popular players at that, so hard to complain with how this covid-addled slam has panned out. Questions will remain given that they haven't had to deal with the big 3 problem, but we might already be in the new era right now without hindsight's benefit.

Osaka doing well in a crowdless slam and the (opportunistic) comeback story of Azarenka given her now distant last slam final is also a narrative I'd take at the start of the tournament.

I think this makes Thiem only the 8th man this millennium to make the final of 3 different slams, and he managed this in a 5 slam window as well. The other 7 (big 4, Wawa, Cilic, Hewitt) are obviously slam winners.

Last edited:
Good that Osaka is performing. The WTA really need stars who perform consistently at the top, rather than one time wonders like Ostapenko.

What happened ostapenko, I think she peaked too early and refused to fix her serving issues
yeah. she was very much, see ball, hit ball. hovered for a couple of years and then collapsed to a low of 80 odd. Last time I checked, she was improving under a new coach, Marion Bartoli and in the 40's.

she passed on the US open this year.

womens final.

6am AEST
Naomi Osaka(4) v Victoria Azarenka

Azarenka is a better player than 2 majors. Hope she wins. But I reckon Osaka will. Has warmed up nicely this tournament and played unbelievable well in the semi. Azarenka played very well for 2 sets in hers so it should be a good one.

I thought Brady played incredibly well and Osaka had to play at a very high level to beat her. I think Osaka wins but I am happy for either to win their 3rd slam. Pretty cool story for Azarenka to win this one though considering what she has gone through the last few years.

Hope Thiem finishes off Zverev in the final. Never seen such a disparity in two players' play leading up to the final.

Osaka for me tomorrow morning but man it's going to be a lot of fun

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back