News Vale Danny Frawley

Remove this Banner Ad

It saddens me watching people speculate about triggers for what happened.

I've become a big of an authority on mental illness, I've dealt with it over half of my life. The fact that there isn't necessarily a trigger is exactly why it's so dangerous.

If you're assuming there has to be a trigger, I'd probably have 2 responses:
1) you're lucky that you haven't had to intimately learn about mental illness
2) you're confusing sadness or anger or shame or nervousness as mental illness, when they're entirely different things.

I don't say this to take a shot at anyone - far from it. I do hope though that part of Frawley's enduring legacy is that people become better informed about what mental illness is, and what it isn't.

I've heard it describe to me that suicide isn't the result of a confluence of triggers, it's the result of an absence of hope (and an inability to see hope ever again.)

We don't have to all be experts on mental illness or psychology or human behaviour. We just have to learn to be better to each other, to be less selfish, more caring, more giving, and less angry all the time.

Some of the most powerful TV I’ve ever seen.

Haven't seen it yet, but Browns comment on the regional footy clinics with the kids and 20 years later seeing himself in the kids with Spud still there was some of the most powerful tv i've ever seen too. Makes me teary every time i've re-heard it with Danny Boy music.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The interview with Gaz and Dunstall was hard to watch. I really hope they have a lot of support, especially Gaz as he looks in a bad way. As someone mentioned above, sometimes these things come in clusters and I really worry for Gaz at the moment and hope he can get through it.

Heartbreaking interview.
Poor Gaz looks an absolute shell of a man, it's bloody tough listening to these interviews because you know if Spud could listen to even 30s of these he would change his mind but that's the s**t house part of depression. It's that inability to rationalise and the struggle to see past what you are currently feeling.
I guess the shittest part is that he was the bloke who seemingly helped everyone else in the darkest moments, bringing out a smile on the darkest day for everyone else.

It's probably incumbent on all of us to celebrate more people when they are alive but the hustle and bustle of life dictates you need to move on and unfortunately this will all happen again

The timing of this is all so sad. You wonder if he was just trying to hang on until after the footy finals and his media obligations were over, to seek proper help.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back