VFL VFL 2024 - Geelong & the greater league

Remove this Banner Ad

Disposals: Mitch Hardie 29, Marcus Herbert 25, Kade Chalcraft 19, Emerson Jeka 18

Goals: Tobyn Murray 2, James Willis 2, Mitch Knevitt 1, Kaelan Bradtke 1, Shannon Neale 1

Hardie got a lot of the ball. Might be worth giving him a sub spot; he would have been more effective than Knevitt last night, given that we didn't have any injuries during the match. Or would Hardie need to be elevated off the Rookie list first?
Not sure Hardie would have done more than Knev in the 74 seconds that the sub played?

Hardie got a lot of the ball. Might be worth giving him a sub spot; he would have been more effective than Knevitt last night, given that we didn't have any injuries during the match. Or would Hardie need to be elevated off the Rookie list first?

No you can play rookies straight up-i was surprised he didnt play last night with so many mids out.

Really don't get the love for Neale. He's been at the club for some time and he's yet to have a significant impact on any game I've seen at twos level. Which, admittedly, isn't a large number. Too reliant on his marking. I'd be interested in the comments of The rabbi who sees a lot more VFL than most.

Pleasing to see Conway get a fair bit of it with 17 disposals. Hardie and Herbert both with 20 +

Not sure Hardie would have done more than Knev in the 74 seconds that the sub played?

Probably not. But I reckon a midfielder would probably have been subbed on for Mullin at 3/4 time, whereas there was nobody obvious for a 193cm utility to replace given that we hadn't had any injuries.

Probably not. But I reckon a midfielder would probably have been subbed on for Mullin at 3/4 time, whereas there was nobody obvious for a 193cm utility to replace given that we hadn't had any injuries.

They could have easily put knevitt on for mullin at 3/4 though. Knevitt to wing tuohy to HB.

I have just seen that stats for Conway. I cannot confirm them independently as yet, but they look good if TCCC is accurate.
With some thickening up, Conway could become a very good Ruckman indeed.

1711185433950.png

Really don't get the love for Neale. He's been at the club for some time and he's yet to have a significant impact on any game I've seen at twos level. Which, admittedly, isn't a large number. Too reliant on his marking. I'd be interested in the comments of The rabbi who sees a lot more VFL than most.

Pleasing to see Conway get a fair bit of it with 17 disposals. Hardie and Herbert both with 20 +
Neal is a good athlete for a lad his size @ 203cm and only 21 years old.
He is clearly a long way off from replacing our current KPF's, but he is the next KPF that we have at the moment as Phoenix Foster is a long, long way behind Neal.

The game plan was ordinary.
Geelong players were keeping space not on their man.
Werribee players had too much room and standing on their own.
The 2 KPD, Jeka and VDH didn't show alot.

I didn't see the talent everyone has been speaking about. I agree Conway is the only one who appears afl ready.

Our most blue chip youngsters are either in the 1s (clark and bruhn and henry and holmes) or injured (stevens).

Humphries and wiltshire and murdoch etc are your typical raw youngsters that need time (and may or may not get it).

The only blue chip ones you will see a lot in vfl this year are osullivan and knevitt who probably both need time for different reasons.

Conway is the one we need to come on very quickly because we are short in the ruck position.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Knevitt is a good mark over head but struggled today. Blame the late plane trip back if you like.
Geelong constantly sell their team mates into pressure with handball to players already under pressure.
Knevitt played seven games in a row at AFL level last year and his best game was the seventh, against the Bulldogs in round 12. He was immediately dropped then didn't play again until round 24.

To me he looks better at AFL level than VFL. I guess that's not that surprising because he's playing with better players and with a better game plan. I think he would benefit from multiple games in the AFL but, rightly or wrongly, he's now stuck behind in the queue. Understandably, he may have lost some confidence, and coming on for under 2 mins on Friday night wouldn't have helped.

As others have said, he has strengths and weaknesses in his game. Anyway, it's a hard road for him but it's up to him to persevere.

Mitch Hardie... maybe a smoky for us this year... Full pre season in AFL conditions could do wonders for him, instead of just having 6 months last year to try to impress.

Is anyone getting slightly concerned on Shannon Neale taking the next step to play AFL? I'll be rooting for him and I will hoping he does. But whats people views on him ? As I'm getting some doubts coming in with him...

Neal is a good athlete for a lad his size @ 203cm and only 21 years old.
He is clearly a long way off from replacing our current KPF's, but he is the next KPF that we have at the moment as Phoenix Foster is a long, long way behind Neal.
Thanks for the courtesy of a response The rabbi. Fairly much along the lines of my thinking.

It does tend to take 'bigs' longer to show they can make a mark at the elite level so he has time. But I haven't seen more than the occasional spark at the lower level, and certainly no game where he's had a marked impact on the result.

Conway is the player I see being a very good 'ones' player. Looked the part in his AFL debut against the Dishlicker. As the Cat's bio says Gained plenty of attention in his first game at the top level, taking it right up to Bulldogs star Tim English for much of the night. Looked a class above at VFL level.......

The result today indicates there's not much depth.

Thanks for the courtesy of a response The rabbi. Fairly much along the lines of my thinking.

It does tend to take 'bigs' longer to show they can make a mark at the elite level so he has time. But I haven't seen more than the occasional spark at the lower level, and certainly no game where he's had a marked impact on the result.

Conway is the player I see being a very good 'ones' player. Looked the part in his AFL debut against the Dishlicker. As the Cat's bio says Gained plenty of attention in his first game at the top level, taking it right up to Bulldogs star Tim English for much of the night. Looked a class above at VFL level.......

The result today indicates there's not much depth.
......The result indicates Guthrie, Duncan, Bruhn, Bowes, Rohan, Stevens, & Atkins being unavailable....and as a result, Parfitt, Mullin, Clark, Mannagh, and maybe even Touhy & Dempsey all being required in the ones.

With the outs we have, the guys who would be keeping this VFL side viable aren't playing. It's pretty simple.

Very harsh on Neale in this thread. Not much he could’ve done today with the lack of entries, and when it did get in there the delivery was atrocious.
Yeah it seems there's a few out to get him. It just comes back to expectation for mine.

He's not Tomahawk, and he's not Jezza...and he probably never will be.

Those two are two of the best key forwards EVER...and we're damn lucky to have both.

He'll be a good footballer in time, but he's a young key forward. It's a slow burn at the best of times, let alone when you're getting the shitty delivery he is.

Said it all along, he'll end up having a Cam Mooney career IMO. He'll probably need a partner, and I expect we'll be trading for one over the coming years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back