VFL VFL 2024 - Geelong & the greater league

Remove this Banner Ad

That is true.. but you can't just give Neale 1 game than drop him the next week... if we're going to play Neale we must give 3-4 games in a row for a bit contanuie for his own belief
Not sure we've got the option.

The only other thing I can see happening is that we name Neale ruck, he takes centre bounces before drifting forward and Cameron runs the wings like we've seen him do here and there.

Would require a block out from Stanley and we'd forgo a game for Conway

Last edited:
Not sure we've got the option.

The only other thing I can see happening is that we name Neale ruck, he takes centre bounces before drifting forward and Cameron runs the wings like we've seen him do here and there.

Would require a block out from Stanley and we'd forgo a game for Conway
We are in a very tough situation aren't we

We are in a very tough situation aren't we

Both Hawkins and Cameron will require management to get through the season. Even if not injured they will be rested. I can imagine a scenario where they are rested in consecutive weeks allowing Neale to play at least a couple of games in succession.

Against the undersized Hawks backline we may look to play him as well as a third tall.

Re Neale - is there a chance that if given an extended run 4 or 5 games at senior level, that he may look better playing AFL than he does at VFL and just down to having better players around him, and hopefully better delivery than he's got at times in the VFL?
I think that would be really good for him. And the club would probably want to see whether he is a genuine replacement for Hawk next year….but I can’t see how it happens without and injury…to Hawk or Jezza

With Dempsey and Mannagh showing they belong and Rohan to come back we now have 10 bone fide forwards including Neale. Maybe Dempsey does end up playing more wing (although I love him roaming forward)? And who knows if Mannagh holds his great start or if Rohan gets back to his best…but even then I just can’t see us playing 3 talls and Henry/Rohan given the success we have with the current structure.

I can see Neale playing in Gather Round (rest Hawk post his 350) and maybe the keep him in for the North game (rest Jezza?) but to then string the next couple of games together (against Brisbane and Carlton) I just can’t see it. Club thinks we can win a flag this year and won’t give up on that until very late (if at all)

I don't really care that he didn't do much I50, he should have gotten on his bike and presented high. We needed someone to compete in the air on the wings as we were trying to exit D50, he needs to a find a way to get involved

Fair point, especially considering the haphazard ball movement. Our structure (or lack of) in the VFL doesn't really make stay-at-home KPFs viable most games. That said, I've seen him come up the ground - he did a fair bit when we got spanked by the Lions last year at Brighton Arena - so maybe it was just not a good game for him?

Look having a kid who is demanding games and not being able to fit him in is not the worst problem.

Bit more complex than that. Nobody is really demanding games in the VFL (Conway the only possible exception) but the lack of structure and over-all competitiveness of the team makes it tricky to judge how someone might go at AFL level.

I don't really care that he didn't do much I50, he should have gotten on his bike and presented high. We needed someone to compete in the air on the wings as we were trying to exit D50, he needs to a find a way to get involved
Agreed. Given he is supposed to be athletic. I think he was a decent 800 metre runner. If the supply is poor then needs to get on his bike and get involved in the game.

I would say so. Its hard to judge how much his tank has improved as most vfl games are on smaller grounds but the club would have the gps data. The fact that hes getting more touches around the ground indicates he is getting fitter.

Also this is a good game to play him in as reeves isnt a standout ruck. Play him for 3/4 then sub him off.
I agree entirely. What a perfect set up. Reeves isnt English (the following week). No way Stanley can play both games (effectively) off a 5 day break with travel. Toby will have 9 day break from VFL game.

And we struggled to get sub on last week so if we have Toby for 3/4 and Blitz ruck in the last qtr and inject some run in last…

To me it seems very logical - almost a no brainer - to have Toby play Easter Monday.

If he does, how exciting to have Clark, Dempsey, Conway, Bruhn, Holmes, Henry, Mannagh, SDK (average ~25 games) playing together with that next level experience up (close, Stengle, atkins, Bowes, Miers, J Henry)…. Too old, too slow my a****

(Now maybe 1-2 might be squeezed out or not come in but the broad point is still the same)

I agree entirely. What a perfect set up. Reeves isnt English (the following week). No way Stanley can play both games (effectively) off a 5 day break with travel. Toby will have 9 day break from VFL game.

And we struggled to get sub on last week so if we have Toby for 3/4 and Blitz ruck in the last qtr and inject some run in last…

To me it seems very logical - almost a no brainer - to have Toby play Easter Monday.

If he does, how exciting to have Clark, Dempsey, Conway, Bruhn, Holmes, Henry, Mannagh, SDK (average ~25 games) playing together with that next level experience up (close, Stengle, atkins, Bowes, Miers, J Henry)…. Too old, too slow my a****

(Now maybe 1-2 might be squeezed out or not come in but the broad point is still the same)
Hmm I think it will be a toss up on if Toby plays Easter Monday or the following week. I would say Stanley if fit plays Easter Monday and Conway plays against the Dogs

Both Hawkins and Cameron will require management to get through the season. Even if not injured they will be rested. I can imagine a scenario where they are rested in consecutive weeks allowing Neale to play at least a couple of games in succession.

Against the undersized Hawks backline we may look to play him as well as a third tall.
If you need to give him a straight block of games to see what he gives with better entries and less focus then a game here or there won't do.

I think it's cameos this year then straight into the 22 by default next year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you need to give him a straight block of games to see what he gives with better entries and less focus then a game here or there won't do.

I think it's cameos this year then straight into the 22 by default next year
We need to give him a block of 4 games at AFL this year to see how he goes and not as a ruck but a forward.

Week 1 Rest Hawkins Neale plays
Week 2 Rest Cameron Neale plays
Week 3 and 4 play all 3

Or some combination of the above

Hmm I think it will be a toss up on if Toby plays Easter Monday or the following week. I would say Stanley if fit plays Easter Monday and Conway plays against the Dogs
Stanley's got a broken hand doesn't he? According to Mitch Cleary anyway, who's usually on the money with anything Cats related.

Even with the long break, it would seem Toby will be playing instead one would think.

Stanley's got a broken hand doesn't he? According to Mitch Cleary anyway, who's usually on the money with anything Cats related.

Even with the long break, it would seem Toby will be playing instead one would think.
Hmm if true that changes things indeed and would play Conway Easter Monday and hope Stanley is good for the Dogs game.

Re Neale - is there a chance that if given an extended run 4 or 5 games at senior level, that he may look better playing AFL than he does at VFL and just down to having better players around him, and hopefully better delivery than he's got at times in the VFL?
He does already.

Its a different game, especially when VFL side is depleted and against better opposition. The AFL drills the forwards do all year, rarely happen. Its everyman for himself.

It's round 2 Ffs... The year won't be perfect. There will be changes, form, injuries... People stressing about a young KPF because he's not good enough yet to push out 2 of the top KPFs in the game?
Give me strength

Id say there is a very good chance . How many games in a row has he played so far? He has played 5 games in total. 3 at the end of last year.

After all the good reports preseason..then to be overlooked I get the feeling unless a forced upon opportunity occurs ..he is going to have to demand a chance with VFL performance. While we are a winning side ..the coach will keep referring to those he trusts to perform. We are playing a high press, and that probably favours a small rather than another tall. Maybe that could change if we played JC as a mid.

My question is his presence as a forward. He drops a lot of marks close to goal. Can he own the forwardline? Maybe he is better as a Stanley/Blitz type player. He has looked good on the lead further out. Comparing him to Stanley ..his 4th year he played 12 games... so its getting close to the time that Shannon needs games at AFL level. Can we play him instead of Stanley?

For mine I's be willing to cop the losses that might come to play him rather than Stanley if RS is not 100%... to be frank Rhys has looks a little cooked ... but how often have we played Neale full time in the ruck in the VFL? To some degree , he has to be willing to push himself into the frame.

Again, he is 4 years . The club must have a solid idea on what he offers by now. WE have had him, and Conways and added Edwards. At some stage they will have to get games into him if they believe in him we will see the club or him look elsewhere ... perhaps a bit like Sav in a way. I get the feeling as much as anything SavRat wanted a fresh start.

Its a different game, especially when VFL side is depleted and against better opposition. The AFL drills the forwards do all year, rarely happen. Its everyman for himself.
It does get pretty counterproductive in a way. If I were in the last eight weeks of a contract, and I was stuck in the VFL, you better believe that I am going to try to get on the highlights reel every chance I get.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back