VFL VFL 2024 - Geelong & the greater league

Remove this Banner Ad

Very harsh on Neale in this thread. Not much he could’ve done today with the lack of entries, and when it did get in there the delivery was atrocious.
Look I hope your correct.. I didn't see any of the game... I suppose I have a small doubt in him ( and I did say small )
Next week he could come out and kick 4 goals and all of us are back on the Neale Train 🚆

......The result indicates Guthrie, Duncan, Bruhn, Bowes, Rohan, Stevens, & Atkins being unavailable....and as a result, Parfitt, Mullin, Clark, Mannagh, and maybe even Touhy & Dempsey all being required in the ones.

With the outs we have, the guys who would be keeping this VFL side viable aren't playing. It's pretty simple.
Thanks. My concern was as much to do with there appearing to be a paucity of next generation talent as it was being more competitive at twos level.

Look I hope your correct.. I didn't see any of the game... I suppose I have a small doubt in him ( and I did say small )
Next week he could come out and kick 4 goals and all of us are back on the Neale Train 🚆

He needs to string together several impactful games, not just one here and there. As Dempsey had done at twos level. Even Knevitt has done at 'twos' level. He has time, and as I've said, 'bigs' tend to take more time.

He needs to string together several impactful games, not just one here and there. As Dempsey had done at twos level. Even Knevitt has done at 'twos' level. He has time, and as I've said, 'bigs' tend to take more time.
They also tend to look more inconsistent because they are dependent on supply.

Even if Geelong gets spanked, we can still expect Atkins or Stewart to get 20, but we don’t expect Hawkins to kick three.

Thanks for the courtesy of a response The rabbi. Fairly much along the lines of my thinking.

It does tend to take 'bigs' longer to show they can make a mark at the elite level so he has time. But I haven't seen more than the occasional spark at the lower level, and certainly no game where he's had a marked impact on the result.

Conway is the player I see being a very good 'ones' player. Looked the part in his AFL debut against the Dishlicker. As the Cat's bio says Gained plenty of attention in his first game at the top level, taking it right up to Bulldogs star Tim English for much of the night. Looked a class above at VFL level.......

The result today indicates there's not much depth.
Bit hard to measure the depth when we have a lot of best 22 players out, and a number of our picks are speculative project types.

Thanks. My concern was as much to do with there appearing to be a paucity of next generation talent as it was being more competitive at twos level.
The majority of the next generation talent is in the AFL side.

As Pure_Ownage pointed out, it's really only Conway, COS & Knevitt as blue chip picks who aren't in the seniors. Edwards is another, but he's injured.

Neale is a developing tall, and guys like Wiltshire, Humphries, & Willis need time and continuity to develop.

Sure, we could throw all of Holmes, SDK, Bruhn, Clark, Dempsey, & Ollie Henry into the VFL and win the thing just to prove a point....but I'd rather have those guys displaying their promise in games we actually care about.

The majority of the next generation talent is in the AFL side.

As Pure_Ownage pointed out, it's really only Conway, COS & Knevitt as blue chip picks who aren't in the seniors. Neale is a developing tall, and guys like Wiltshire, Humphries, & Willis need time and continuity to develop.

Sure, we could throw all of Holmes, SDK, Bruhn, Clark, Dempsey, & Ollie Henry into the VFL and win the thing just to prove a point....but I'd rather have those guys displaying their promise in games we actually care about.
* it, let’s chuck in Cameron, Holmes and Stewart and REALLY play four dimensional chess

We will need to draft/trade for a genuine KPF . Neale will be a pinch hitter at best. Should be a huge priority as Imo Foster won’t make it.

Kpfs are the hardest thing to draft without top 10 picks. We may have to get one on the trade market but that isnt a cheap option either.

My only real interest is Neale. How’d he go?
Neale was blah at best.
A few times I wanted him to show more effort which is unlike him normally. Was out of a few contests and kinda gave up a bit and the ball cleared away. Not his usual presence

Full disclosure - the F50 entries were total shite and the over use of handball chains where the Werribee player would then close the space infront of the ball carrier, force a spillage and then we'd watch it get cleared from F 50 does nothing to help Neale's game or involvement.

He got a "Joe the goose' for his goal. Also thought on the few occassions there were I50 marking contests for him it was just dropped on his head and he had to contend with multiple defenders - but as the KPF1 you gotta make those moments yours and win them.

On to next week.

GO Catters

Very harsh on Neale in this thread. Not much he could’ve done today with the lack of entries, and when it did get in there the delivery was atrocious.
Im the biggest Neale ticket holder and saw the game. Delivery was crap no doubt but I wanted to see a bit more effort in the contest at times. When its harder thats when he needs to increase workrate and effort to make the contest better even if he cant take the mark or score.
He's also only 21 and 5 games into his AFL career. It takes time and hes not the finished product by far.

GO Catters

I bothers me less as there isn't much room to fit in the selectable squad. Once that starts to open up we'll either be toping up with blue chip recruits or be doing a traditional rebuild anyway.

Kpfs are the hardest thing to draft without top 10 picks. We may have to get one on the trade market but that isnt a cheap option either.

Larkey and M.Lewis show that you can draft KPF’s with lower picks but it’s a bit of a crapshoot. We still need to replenish our midfield group so it will require some excellent drafting and list management to get both done successfully.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Im the biggest Neale ticket holder and saw the game. Delivery was crap no doubt but I wanted to see a bit more effort in the contest at times. When its harder thats when he needs to increase workrate and effort to make the contest better even if he cant take the mark or score.
He's also only 21 and 5 games into his AFL career. It takes time and hes not the finished product by far.

GO Catters

My worry with Neale is he can't really develop when the forward entries are that mangled. Yeah, he can make more effort to present, fine-tune his basics, and work harder as you said, but with those fumbly, over-possession type entries, the kick (if it comes) often goes anywhere but to his advantage.

I get we may not be able to squeeze him into the team with both Hawkins and Cameron in, but it almost feels like he's in a bit of development limbo right now. People want him to "improve" when he's not in an environment to really go much further.

So Conway ready to come in for Easter Monday?

I would say so. Its hard to judge how much his tank has improved as most vfl games are on smaller grounds but the club would have the gps data. The fact that hes getting more touches around the ground indicates he is getting fitter.

Also this is a good game to play him in as reeves isnt a standout ruck. Play him for 3/4 then sub him off.

My worry with Neale is he can't really develop when the forward entries are that mangled. Yeah, he can make more effort to present, fine-tune his basics, and work harder as you said, but with those fumbly, over-possession type entries, the kick (if it comes) often goes anywhere but to his advantage.

I get we may not be able to squeeze him into the team with both Hawkins and Cameron in, but it almost feels like he's in a bit of development limbo right now. People want him to "improve" when he's not in an environment to really go much further.
he clearly needs AFL games... and yes the supply does nothing for him.
I just wanted to see a bit more of an appearance of effort and trying to get a better position for some of the marking contests and if he cant pluck it... then bring it ground. But to do any of that he's gotta be at the contest.

Im not saying he doesnt try nor is he not fit enough or skilled enough.... but sitting behind JC and Tomma (rightly) he needs to be showing every bit of desire and endeavour possible.

And hes 22.... still learning and got all of 5 games... so its all still new

Looking forward to next week...

GO Catters

he clearly needs AFL games... and yes the supply does nothing for him.
I just wanted to see a bit more of an appearance of effort and trying to get a better position for some of the marking contests and if he cant pluck it... then bring it ground. But to do any of that he's gotta be at the contest.

Im not saying he doesnt try nor is he not fit enough or skilled enough.... but sitting behind JC and Tomma (rightly) he needs to be showing every bit of desire and endeavour possible.

And hes 22.... still learning and got all of 5 games... so its all still new

Looking forward to next week...

GO Catters

Yeah Daz, wasn't having a go at you. Just some of the general comments I see floating around on this thread and others.

I can see the concerns but agree he needs more opportunity. Until then he can still do whatever he can in the VFL.

But I think we've been spoilt for so long with KPFs that anything less than a high bar is written off...thankfully, I don't think the coaches see it that way.

I don't really care that he didn't do much I50, he should have gotten on his bike and presented high. We needed someone to compete in the air on the wings as we were trying to exit D50, he needs to a find a way to get involved

Re Neale - is there a chance that if given an extended run 4 or 5 games at senior level, that he may look better playing AFL than he does at VFL and just down to having better players around him, and hopefully better delivery than he's got at times in the VFL?

Re Neale - is there a chance that if given an extended run 4 or 5 games at senior level, that he may look better playing AFL than he does at VFL and just down to having better players around him, and hopefully better delivery than he's got at times in the VFL?
I think there's definitely a chance and I don't think we will really know if he's good enough until he does. It's been repeatedly stated but our ball movement is so bad in the VFL it's so hard to judge key forwards. Would be interesting how well Hawkins would play in the VFL, Jezza would run around and find his own ball but if Hawk was parked in the goal square I'm not sure he'd dominate (he'd mark anything that came close I'm just not sure it would).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back