VFL: Bendigo Gold v Box Hill Hawks, Saturday 16th June | Bendigo 32 point winners

Remove this Banner Ad

No idea what the rules are for players put onto a rookie list after being on a senior list. We could hang onto Hunter for 3 years I think

Cbf making a drafting or w/ever thread and this is related enough:

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...-hawk-hopes-to-soar-again-20120617-20ia3.html

(Carl Peterson) was tempted back into the VFL after being told Richmond and Essendon flagged some interest in him at the end of last season, after he played with Old Carey in the VAFA last year. Yesterday, Blues VFL coach Robert Hyde said Peterson still had what it took for a return to the ranks after showing glimpses in limited game time.
obv just because we showed interest in him last year doesn't mean A) We would have drafted him last year and B) We'll be interested this year. but worth noting

If he's really turned his life around he'd be well worth picking up, showing a lot of talent at the Hawks. He's a very unique style of player and you could get him for a 3rd rounder IMO.

I wreckon we picked up Baguley as cover for Dempsey (Injuries), Hibberd (Inside issues) and others like Dyson who were once thought to not be 'up to it'.

Like I said, I really hope he gets a chance in the seniors, would be stoked to see yet another Frankston Dolphins boy get a gig! they just keep on producing..

Yoda

It's probably unlikely Baguley will get a call up this year - We may keep him as a rookie in 2013 - But I suspect another club will offer him a primary list spot.

Players from interstate get a third year on the rookie list.

Long - Can't get onto the park - let him have a year off AFL footy and concentrate on his studies at Melbourne Uni.
Baguley- could be pocked up by another club.
Hunter/Dalgleish are projects - Probably given another year.
Lee - Could he replace Lonergan on the primary list ?
Dell'Olio - Is the most interesting one - Could he be offered a gig by another club.

I doubt that any rookies will be elevated to the primary list - Keep the gun powder dry for the ND.

Players from interstate get a third year on the rookie list.
That smells suspiciously like bullshit to me, but I'll give you the option to show a source - where'd you pull it from?

As far as I know you've got to make a call after three years - elevate or delist. Although there's nothing to stop you re-drafting them after you've delisted them

But Lee and Baguley will be where the decisions are made, and Long too. The first 2 are both 25-26yrs old, and whilst I have no problem keeping either/both of them (if I had a choice right now I'd certainly hold onto both) they may consider their age to be an issue. Baguley I definitely wouldn't be getting rid of though, he's an incredibly talented player and I like the fact that they tried him in different spots on the weekend.
Lee on the other hand, whilst I would still keep him for sure, they may consider the fact that we have Lonergan, Howlett, Hocking, Watson, Myers etc... with the likes of Melksham, Zaha, Heppell and hopefully our other young midfielders. Given its only a rookie spot though, I'm certainly holding onto him, he can't do anymore than he's doing right now, and from the sounds of things he's also got the right attitude and mentality to how he goes about it.
They'll only be 1 year older than when we drafted them... Somehow I don't think their age will be an issue.

That smells suspiciously like bullshit to me, but I'll give you the option to show a source - where'd you pull it from?

As far as I know you've got to make a call after three years - elevate or delist. Although there's nothing to stop you re-drafting them after you've delisted them
Nope, it's not bullshit. Interstate players can get up to 3 years. Of course intrastate players can also get up to 3 years on the rookie list. So nothing mind-blowing there.

Phone

Who would you upgrade at the end of the year?

FWIW, I think we may look at delisting one of Baguley or Lee (I would Lee, Baguley seems more versatile) even though there output is far superior to a recent nature aged recruit from Frankston.

Time to start using this rookie list for it's real purposes, risks!

Phone

FWIW, I think we may look at delisting one of Baguley or Lee (I would Lee, Baguley seems more versatile) even though there output is far superior to a recent nature aged recruit from Frankston.

I'm not sure if by 'risks" you mean young and/or project players. I like the idea of adding to that age group that is currently pushing us up the ladder. Taking players like Howlett and Hocking in recent times has worked out well for us.

Also, Yoda, have you got yourself on record on which rookie you would promote? Cheers.

I've said recently that if I was to promote any of our rookies it would be Baguley.

With runs on the board, he simply has not played a bad game in the 7 - 8 times I have seen him this year.

Can play anywhere having started off as a more small forward/half forward at Frankston before relishing the chance to be in the game more across half back and through the midfield that ultimately saw him selected by us.

In saying that, keep an eye out for Lauchlan Dalgleish, there is just 'something' about him that makes you sit up and take note of the number 36!

Considering we're taking another tall as our first pick in next years draft and are likely to loose McVeigh and Slattery then it's unlikey we'd cut Lee or Bags.

In saying that though you'd hope they get a shot on the big stage at some time this year. We've had players dominate at Vfl level in past but when given a chance at Afl they have struggled. Both will be 25 this year so they need to be able to make an impact immedietely when they get their chance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Phone

I'm not sure if I would - it depends on who goes from the seniors, the draft picks we have, holes in the senior list and the like. But really, from the reports you guys give, and the VFL game on abc, I'd be fine with any of the mature guys. Dell'Olio's got his nose ahead though

As for risks, ;)

But really, every draft pick is a risk, taking 3 mature age guys, 1 raw skinny fast guy and 2 guys who had spent most of the last 12 months (24 for long) is risky too. Don't need to go for a hail mary for the sake of it. We're not a bad team anymore

In saying that, keep an eye out for Lauchlan Dalgleish, there is just 'something' about him that makes you sit up and take note of the number 36!

Dalgleish is surely a strong chance to be upgraded. I haven't watched many games, but he looks on a par with Kav and Merrett.

Thanks, would you have Baguley in the senior team before Reimers then? Based on current form etc and ignoring the rookie promotion thing.

On form, Reimers has that something special, and has been solid te past three starts for Bendigo, Baguley has been bloody good all year though.

Line ball IMO

I'm not sure if I would - it depends on who goes from the seniors, the draft picks we have, holes in the senior list and the like. But really, from the reports you guys give, and the VFL game on abc, I'd be fine with any of the mature guys. Dell'Olio's got his nose ahead though.

But really, every draft pick is a risk, taking 3 mature age guys, 1 raw skinny fast guy and 2 guys who had spent most of the last 12 months (24 for long) is risky too. Don't need to go for a hail mary for the sake of it. We're not a bad team anymore

I can see why they drafted in the two mature aged guys from last year. Lee as cover for Myers/Lonergan and Baguley as cover for Hibberd/Dempsey.

Since they are all out on the park and playing bloody good football, and the emergence of the next generation, the age old it's better to be young than good can even be applied in real life (just ask Muscles)..

I completely agree with your secon paragraph, we ha those holes to fill, question marks to be answered, now the ability to keep our guys on the park is crucial. Should 90% of them stay on the park, we may see a very different approach to this years rookie draft than in previous years..

I'd be hoping we go for another KPP and maybe even another Rick on top of Joe Daniher, who knows how good the other F/S options could be, they might just very well come into calculations..

I will look it up on the AFL website - It may take time.

Theoretically a player can be on a rookie list for 15 years - You can be rookied by as many clubs that will offer you a spot.

Nope, it's not bullshit. Interstate players can get up to 3 years. Of course intrastate players can also get up to 3 years on the rookie list. So nothing mind-blowing there.

Thought that intrastate players only got 2 years on the rookie list, unless they are one of the ' Special players ' who enter the AFL system, without having played Aussie Rules.

Dalgleish is surely a strong chance to be upgraded. I haven't watched many games, but he looks on a par with Kav and Merrett.

Kav has put himself well above the other two boys over the last month.

merrett, to me, is more smooth and skilled, and a good grab for his size. lauchy a bit bigger framed, a little bit of grunt, perhaps not quite as polished and i'm waiting to see his pace really come to the fore, it only has once or twice so far. both boys are going ok, lauchy a bit more physically developed.

i don't think dalgleish is any chance to be upgraded at the moment, let alone a strong one.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back